Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Support caregiver for children

User Profile: eunoia96
eunoia96 September 9th, 2021

Hi. I’m 24 years old, and I’m a support worker for children who have Autism and an early childhood educator. For two months in the summer, I was working in a daycare facility, where I was doing one-on-one work with a very kindhearted soul. I love working with this child, he’s always teaching me new things. On the other hand, there was another child who had a one-on-one support worker as well. The other child was very violent, would throw books, binders, chairs, tables, pretty well anything he could get his hands on, at staff and the other children in the room. I followed the procedure: get the other kids out of harms way, which worked the first time. The second time, that child blocked the door out of the classroom. A coworker and myself were able to talk the child into moving to a break room, where the child would be able to let out his frustrations in a safe space. Once in that room, my coworker and I stayed in the room with the child. The child singled me out, held onto my shirt with a very strong grip, trying to lower me to their height. I spoke calmly to the child, let the child know it was not okay to be holding me like that, the child did not let up. Things escalated, resulting in the child ripping up the floorboards, biting me, and the child attempted to choke me (got hands around my throat). I stayed calm with the child the whole time.

I flinch anytime someone raises their hands around me now. Does anyone have any advice or tips to help stop this reaction?

sorry for the long first post 🙈

2
User Profile: PeaceLoveandPaws
PeaceLoveandPaws September 9th, 2021

@eunoia96

That sounds like a very traumatic experience to have been in. I hope the parents, doctors, and the staff are working together to help this child. It understandable that you are flinching in reaction to someone raising their hands at you or even near you. Is there someone at the school you might feel comfortable talking about this experience? I'm not sure if it applies but there are some employers that offer an assistance program as part of their company benefits package. Does your workplace offer such a benefit to you? Do you have the support of friends and loved ones you can open up to? Here is a link about anxiey you might find helpful here at 7Cups https://www.7cups.com/anxiety-help/lesson1.html

User Profile: Kris130610
Kris130610 October 17th, 2021

I am a mother to two autistic boys so I understand the sense of flinching. My older son has the same behaviors that you are describing and I have been in your situation. The one thing that helped me get past the situation is realizing that the child in your situation felt threatened in their mind, so there body reacts this way. If you were overpowered by someone a lot bigger than you, your body would also go into a fight or flight. You were absolutely amazing by staying as calm as possible. After a severe reaction from my child I would flinch constantly. I kept reminding myself that I'm not in any danger. That I am safe. Eventually it stuck with me but it did take a year or so for me to truly work through it. I am so sorry you went through this situation.