Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

My first experience in the ER for depression/suicidal thoughts/plan

User Profile: FrutaBomba
FrutaBomba July 31st, 2015

Hi there,

Yesterday I went to the ER. Reason: depression and suicidal thoughts/plan. I thought it would help me but it was not a pleasant experience and I feel even less validated.

I have 4 official diagnoses: BPD, depression, anxiety and ED. I depersonalize a lot, I'm a former physical self harmer, had suicidal thoughts for more than a year, getting worse in the past 3-4 months.

The reason I went to the ER it's because I wanted to get admitted inpatient, to get some meds that actually work for me, to make me decently functional at work because I have to work, I need an income. I went with my friend, I couldn't have done it all alone. She also helped tons by talking to the psychiatrists and trying to convince them of my situation.

They admitted me to the ER, gave me a room. I had to wait for a couple of hours to see a psychiatrist. I saw a psych resident and her student instead. I told them my history, all the anti-depressant I've tried that haven't worked, the 2 psychiatrists I've seen as an outpatient, and the waiting lists I'm on for treatment (BPD, ED and depression). I also explained that I'm unable to function, I want to end my life and I do have a plan but that I won't act on it immediately. They assessed me and decided to keep me for the night. I was going to be assessed yet again by a psychiatrist the following morning.

I am currently on Seroquel and tapering off Effexor but I still need to take it everyday otherwise I get bad withdrawals. They never asked me what meds I'm currently on (even though I mentioned to the psych resident during the initial assessment) so they didn't give me any meds. The following day I was having pretty annoying withdrawals, I finally told the chief nurse but she said she had to order it with the doctor, so nothing that could be done (!!!). Needless to say I spent almost 2 days without my meds. I was stripped off my personal belongings on arrival which is fine.. but then the meds I had on me on my arrival were locked in a special safe. When my parents came to visit me in the ER the nurse gave my parents the meds I had on me on my arrival which is something I never wanted my parents to know I'm taking!!! The nurse did that without my consent, I'm 24 to me that was a breach of confidentiality!!! All she told me was ''I gave the meds to your parents, is that okay?''.. There are a few other things that happened that will take too long to explain and unnecessary, but it made my experience worse, such as another nurse making comments on my self harm scars ''you've been cutting yourself huh'' - no sh*t this is psychiatric ER why is that a surprise...

Fast forward to the following day - So I went through yet another assessment the second day, with a psychiatrist, which decided that my suicidal thoughts are chronic and not acute, and since I never attempted suicide there is nothing really they can do to me other than discharge me..with a new anti-psychotic prescription (aka Seroquel XR instead of regular Seroquel which makes me drowsy).

This was my experience in the ER, I was expecting to go inpatient for a few days at least so they can medicate me, see which meds work, which don't.. to date I'm still nonfunctional really.. They never assessed my job situation, didn't tell me if I should take time off the job or not..I have to see my family doctor which is another joke.. she doesn't prescribe me anything new since I will start BPD therapy in a month. But who would be in the mood for therapy when all they can think about is dying?!

In any case, if anyone has good ER experience feel free to share.

Thank you if you read until the end.

5
User Profile: Dillion
Dillion August 2nd, 2015

@FrutaBomba Thank you so uch for sharing r experience with us! Can you give us an update on how you are doing?

1 reply
User Profile: FrutaBomba
FrutaBomba OP August 2nd, 2015

Hi there,

The following day after my ER discharge I went at the hospital to try and have an ''emergency'' appointment with my nurse or doctor. The psychiatrist from the ER called my doctor's office explaining the situation and the secretary gave me an appointment in 2 weeks, so no way was I going to wait that long! Luckily I was able to see my doctor that same day.

She insisted that I take Seroquel XR even though I had a bad first month experience with regular Seroquel. I also practically begged her to put me on Wellbutrin/Bupropion, since I don't seem to respond to typical antidepressants, and also I wanted something to give me some concentration/focus (I think I might have ADD without the hyperactivity but I need a proper official diagnosis..altough apparently in adults it's difficult to get a real assessment where I live, so they can make you try Ritalin and if you respond well then you likely have ADD/ADHD...). She was reluctant to give me Wellbutrin since the previous psychiatrist recommended that I avoid this medication since I have an eating disorder. BUT I argued so she finally prescribed me 150mg Wellbutrin XR.

Sorry to write this much! But let me tell you that My first night on Seroquel XR 50mg was a bad one for me, I had nightmares and I woke up and couldn't move.. The second night was somewhat similar, but without the ''sleep paralysis''. I told myself I will do the effort and give Seroquel XR a try, until I see my doctor in 2 weeks. As for Wellbutrin, I can't say anything yet since it's only been 2 days.

So far mentally things are almost the same, still adjusting to the meds and trying to keep up with work, luckily working few days only.

load more
User Profile: planti
planti August 2nd, 2015

Im sorry this happened. Ive had a similar experience at the hospital as well, all the doctors did was ask me how I felt and say "Well I think you are definitely depressed" and i got discharged a day later. So much money wasted so I could get a diagnosis I already knew about.

2 replies
User Profile: FrutaBomba
FrutaBomba OP August 2nd, 2015

Thank you for replying to me!

Yes, health care professionals stating the obvious.. I bet they also threw in that you should find a ''hobby''..

1 reply
User Profile: planti
planti August 3rd, 2015

Yes! Its like they all read out the same script.

load more
load more