What does this common phrase really mean? "You have to love yourself before you can love someone else"
What does this common phrase mean to you?
Very often we hear this phrase

But what does that really mean?
Self love is defined as the belief you hold that you are a valuable and worthy person. Another definition I found is: self love is to have regard for oneself and one's own interests.
Self love can be a challenge for many people. Does this mean loving others is just as challenging for them? Is it possible to love others without having self love first? What does loving yourself even mean to you? What effect does self love have on loving others, if any?
What does it mean to love others? Can loving others effect your self love? If so, how?
I am interested in knowing your thoughts on the phrase "You have to love yourself before you can love someone else"
I believe that you can learn to love yourself through loving others.
@ThomasHs Totally agree, I love my boyfriend a lot more than I ever did myself. He knows about my depression and all the other bad stuff and we had many long talks about that or just everything in general and I
Perhaps the saying is trying to get at that if you don't love yourself, then you might not think you have anything to offer someone else. Therefore, it would be hard for you to see yourself loving that person. However, I also believe that if someone loves you first, and says that they love you, and shows that they love you, perhaps you would likely return that love despite what you feel or think towards yourself.
Hope that made sense. :)