Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I wanna be an ovo lact vegetarian. How can I start?

User Profile: FutureTeacher301
FutureTeacher301 March 24th, 2016

I don't wanna do for spiritual reason or just to protect animals, I just wanna be a vegetarian because I can't find the delicious flavor of meat anymore. I mean, I can't enjoy it, even I find it awful. So maybe I should do a different diet for a time, but how?

3
User Profile: ladylazarus1971
ladylazarus1971 March 24th, 2016

What I found helpful at first was substituting veggie options for similar things I was used to eating as an omnivore. For example, I ate a lot of grilled portobello mushroom burgers because they were pretty similar to eating a hamburger or turkey burger in taste and texture. And I still eat them constantly, because they are so dang delicious, not terribly expensive, and easy to make.

You don't have to get very exotic very fast! No one said that just because you are trying an alternative diet like lacto-ovo, you have to drop what you're doing to find chia seeds, seitan (textured tofu meat replacement if you didn't know), or everything made out of kale (Blech! that stuff is foul!). Take baby steps and test the waters of new foods to see what you like and what you might not. Give everything you try a fair shake-- it might take more than 1 bite to make you a fan of Tofurkey or more out-there veggies like lotus root or turnips. Give yourself leeway to fall back onto some kind of "safe" food you're used to if you can't find a veggie option. Since you aren't trying the diet for a specific ethical or biological reason, feel free to be flexible. Maybe start off with x amount of meatless days a week, and build up to 7 when and if you become ready. Steps like that!

Above all, keep your health in mind. I failed trying vegetarianism, both vegan and lacto-ovo, several times beacuse I couldn't balance my diet appropriately and wasn'y balancing myself nutritionally. Don't be afraid to use multi-vitamins and recommended supplements to help keep your nutritional intakes on an even keel until you learn how to lt your diet "pick up the slack."

Good luck, sweetheart! Have a fun culinary adventure!

p.s. Don't forget to explore cuisines that excel in meatless cooking, such as most of the Asian cultures, Middle Eastern, and Indian. It's amazing what these cultures' cooks can do with a few veg, a couple of spices, and a plate to put them on.

User Profile: Ladypearl
Ladypearl January 4th, 2017

Depending on where you live, it's actually quiet easy. ( some places are to secluded from the outer world to imagine not eating meat it seems or if you have to hunt )

I don't know if you mean that your diet would include fish, then it's called Pescetarianism, or if you count in fish to meat, some don't some do even tough fish is meat, but not the "same" type of meat as white and red in a way.

It is still few but there is veggie options in most restaurants, whatever it's a simple hamburger restaurant or fancier restaurants, and at home it's simple to just not buy meat, a dish doesn't become boring without a piece of meat to it, potatoes and veggies with oliveoil and some salt is yummy for me, but if you want meat there is veggie meat, like meatballs made out of lentils and other veggies and no real meat.