Perseverance
Perseverance is defined as the ability in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success. The ability to keep going on without an end in sight sometimes. Persevering is always related to "pushing through" something.
At one point or another in our lives we have had to push through some experience we don't like, whether it lasts seconds or minutes or hours or years sometimes. These experiences for most of us end up remaining as a miserable phase.
We think "How on earth did I get past that?" or "I'm glad that's over". A lot of people grit their teeth and get things over with, they somehow get through it but disliking every second of it. Persevering is seen as an uphill battle.
But the thing about perseverance is, it forces you to look away from the end and enjoy the journey. Or rather it forces you to look at the journey and make peace with it. Many of us run around with the end being the ultimate goal. Subconsciously we put the end in a higher position and take any journey as a start to end process.
Perseverance forces us to experience everything in between and prolongs the end. But the thing is, it provides room for questioning ourselves. In the space between start to end, it allows growth. We can ask questions like "Why does this trigger me?" "What could I have done better?" "What about this place don't I like and why?".
These questions teach us to find meaning in the journey rather than always running to an end. While the end is important as the culmination of all efforts and an ending point, the journey is equally important as that's where we spend most of our time.
Rather than always looking forward, we can look around too. Finding joy or sometimes growth in the journey and learning to accept it or get out of it is the true lesson of perseverance.
I'm curious to know
1) When was one point in your life where you were stuck in a situation and you changed your view of it or flipped it for yourself?
2) How do you frame or reframe perseverance?
@gentlemelon85
Perseverance to me means, trying my best.
And knowing sometimes giving up isn't a failure.
It's a necessity.
It's about balance.
And what's best for my mental health in any given situation 🥰
@gentlemelon85
1) When was one point in your life where you were stuck in a situation and you changed your view of it or flipped it for yourself?
I would say right now! Persevering through it right now. A feeling of lingering stuckness has been with me for years. Although they are not from the same senario and/or life event... there is still work to do.
Sometimes you can't make it happen sooner... your stuck in it!
What i have learned is that it will pass, it will develop and it will resolve. The instict of persevering kicks in at the appropriate time and what is most needed is acceptance of resting and keeping an open mindset.
This reflection is regarding emotional stability and not of physical injury towards situational life events.
Would you agree?
Often get stuck in situations that seem pretty bad, but I've learned to flip it by looking at what I can control, thinking about what small things I can actually do to get by. That usually helps make things less impossible and helps me go forward
@Mimefish Great reflection! Focusing on what we can control is a great way to overcome feeling stuck, seeing where our power actually is can really help move us forward!
I actually went through a situation with my ex where I had deeply hurt them. Out of guilt and a desperate need to fix my mistake, I spent months completely draining myself, constantly pushing for their forgiveness and trying to force things back to how they used to be. I was completely stuck in that loop. However, the real turning point came when I decided to flip my perspective. I realized that instead of using my energy to stubbornly hold on, I needed to redirect that perseverance into the strength of letting him go. I had to accept that what's done is done, and that persevering through the pain of walking away was the only healthy choice. It wasn't a failure; it was turning my persistence toward healing and moving forward.
Based on that, I now reframe perseverance not as blindly holding on to a situation or a person out of stubbornness, but as the endurance it takes to make the right choice, even when that choice is to let go. True perseverance isn't about destroying your own well-being to force an impossible outcome. It is about having the stamina to stay committed to your long-term growth, even when that means enduring a hard ending.
@gentlemelon85
1) When was one point in your life where you were stuck in a situation and you changed your view of it or flipped it for yourself?
A situation I was stuck in was feeling overwhelmed by carrying so much that was never mine to carry emotionally. Once I realised this, I started to get serious about setting emotional boundaries. I realised that it is no use to give to others when it comes at your own expense and that helped me feel capable of moving in life again.
2) How do you frame or reframe perseverance?
For me perseverance is continuing to keep going despite how difficult something may be, or how challenging, it is holding myself with grace and gentleness as I keep focused on what matters the most to me. It is accepting that it will not be easy and choosing to face the challenges head. It is also being realistic and grounding in what feels healthy and checking in with myself as I go, so that I am truly taking care of myself on the journey.