Self-Awareness: Do we really notice what’s happening inside us? 🌱
I’ve been thinking about the IDG skill Self-Awareness lately, and how much of it is actually about noticing what’s happening inside us before we automatically react.
Sometimes I feel like we can know ourselves in a general sense like “I get stressed easily,” “I tend to overthink,” “I’m sensitive”, but that’s different from actually noticing what we’re feeling in a specific moment and understanding where that reaction is coming from.
I also think self-awareness can be uncomfortable. Sometimes we notice patterns in ourselves that we didn’t realize were there. But maybe recognizing those patterns is what gives us the opportunity to respond differently instead of just repeating them.
💭 What is something about yourself that you only became aware of after going through a particular experience?
💭 When you notice yourself having a strong emotional reaction, what helps you pause and understand what’s actually going on underneath it?
I’d love to hear how other people experience self-awareness because I think it can look really different for everyone. 🤍
@Fars79
I learnt after self awareness I am stronger than I think.
I am too hard on myself.
I try to be a perfectionist
And I took deserve the kindness back that I put out 🥰

@Fars79
Each time I read these post in the community, I go back in time and remember some of these same issues that I faced at one time or another in my life. I think back to what happened, and how I had to deal with the issues. It's been a journey!

@Fars79
This is so powerful and so true! 🌱 Self-awareness really is the foundation of everything—noticing our own thoughts and feelings first helps us be more present and kind for ourselves and others. It’s such an important skill to nurture. Thank you for this beautiful reflection!