Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

how do I tell my family I want to change my name ?

User Profile: Phr0gg13
Phr0gg13 April 16th

I hate my dead name for a variety of reasons. Partially for gender reasons, but also because I've been called 'Amalia' more than  my own name by strangers [for context, let's js say it's a unique spelling of 'emily'] 

I want to mention to my mother I want to change it, but I'm unsure how, especially since my  birth name is essentially a walking memorial for a bunch of people in my mother's life [which I ALSO hate]

How can I go about this ???

4
User Profile: emotionalShip4783
emotionalShip4783 April 16th

@Phr0gg13

I would say to just be honest with her and if she doesn't accept it dont let it change your mind. Its your name and your choice. You cant let other people dictate what you can and cant do. Im 13 and im thinking about going trans ftm and my parents dont support it but im probobly gonna just do it anyways. 

User Profile: Phr0gg13
Phr0gg13 OP April 19th

@emotionalShip4783 I mentioned it to her and she was like 'we could just give you two middle names' even though that was not the point

I hope everything goes well for you w your transition, though <3 major support from me 

User Profile: emotionalShip4783
emotionalShip4783 April 19th

@Phr0gg13

Thank you so my.❤️ your support means a lot because not a lot of people are making me feel like I can do it. I getting a lot of hate. 

User Profile: Phr0gg13
Phr0gg13 OP April 21st

@emotionalShip4783 I'm sorry, you don't deserve that hate !!  You're perfectly valid <3

Discovering yourself is a lengthy and trialling challenge. Even if it feels hopeless, or like everyone is against you, stay true to yourself. At the end of they day, YOU are the only one who you need to be happy with yourself

load more
load more
load more