Hello, wanted to vent about skin picking issues
Hello, I just came across this site today because I guess I just kinda wanted to vent a bit about what is going on in my head.
Basically I have been struggling with this issue of compulsive skin picking for years and I am so sick of it not getting any better. I went to see my doctor recently but he said that basically there was not much they could do apart from advise me to get councelling(which I am looking into at the moment.) Anyway now and again I have good days when I hardly pick at all but most of the time I just can't stop myself and today was a particularly bad day for it. No particular reason for it but once I found one bit to pick at I found more and more until I kind of satisfied the urge. Problem is it seems to be a catch 22 type of thing because I feel that if there wasn't spots etc there I wouldn't pick but chances are that if I didn't pick in the first place my skin wouldn't be so bad. Now I feel pretty down about the whole thing and hopeless like there is no hope of me being able to stop this problem. I feel like my skin (and myself) looka mess and I am so frustrated with it all, with not having the skin I want, with not being able to control myself etc that it just makes me feel pretty pathetic. I have read different books and tried so many skin care techniques but nothing seems to stick. I try tell myself after my good days that if I can not pick that one day then I can do it again but it doesn't work.
Anyway thanks for giving me a place to vent these things.
I suffer fromdermatillomaniaas well and I'm truly sorry you're suffering with this. What you described hits home and is constant dailystruggle for me. Due to the secretive nature of this disorder, it's difficult for sufferers to seek any meaningful help. I want to congratulate you on actually seeking help from a doctor and working toward getting help. It's a huge first step in the process of recovering. Unfortunately, therapists I've gone to tend to treat the symptoms of the disorder rather than the disorder itself such as depression and anxiety that usually stem from the disorder. If at all possible, I recommend finding a therapist that specializes in dermatillomania or a similar behavioral disorder to get the best results. Trich.org is a good resource to search for therapists (if I'm remembering correctly). I hope you're doing better. Much love xxx