Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Trichotillomania Discussion!

User Profile: Lucy
Lucy June 13th, 2018

Hey everyone!

Here is a place to have further chats about the Trichotillomania group support discussions.

To recap the questions-

Lets start with discussing what trichotillomania is. How would you describe it?

How common is trichotillomania? What percentage of the population do you think might have it?

What are your experiences of having trichotillomania? If you havent personally struggled with it, do you know anyone who has it?

What misconceptions do you think people have about trichotillomania?

How does/do you think having trichotillomania (would) affect your everyday life?

What types of triggers compulse you to pull your hair?

Can you guys think of any coping methods to help with the compulsion feeling to pull? What coping methods have helped you?

Do you think trichotillomania can affect other mental health problems you might have?

How can people around best support you?


Final question! What one thing would you most like to tell people about trichotillomania?

*some of these might have been ommitted for time etc.

So guys, what do you think about these questions? Did you learn a lot in the discussion? Do you have any more questions you'd like answering?

2
User Profile: Resourcefulc
Resourcefulc June 13th, 2018

Hi

User Profile: MonBon
MonBon June 18th, 2018

@Lucy

Great! Sounds like it was a fun discussion:

Lets start with discussing what trichotillomania is. How would you describe it? My understanding is it's when people compulsively pull out their hair as a result of stress, OCD, or other triggers.

How common is trichotillomania? What percentage of the population do you think might have it? I'm not sure, maybe like 2%?

What are your experiences of having trichotillomania? If you havent personally struggled with it, do you know anyone who has it? I don't think I necessarily have trichotillomania, but I am constantly touching my hair. I used to eat my hair, but that stopped pretty early on.

What misconceptions do you think people have about trichotillomania? As with most compulsions, people probably think you're "crazy" or "attention seeking"

How does/do you think having trichotillomania (would) affect your everyday life? You would probably have to take great measures to preventing yourself from touching your hair, perhaps by wearing something on your hands or on your head. It probably wouldn't be possible to style your hair as freely due to the risk of performing the behavior or any hair loss showing. Possibly self-esteem issues arising from this.

What types of triggers compulse you to pull your hair? I would imagine stress

Can you guys think of any coping methods to help with the compulsion feeling to pull? What coping methods have helped you? Generally finding a subsitute coping method or blocking access to the head/hair from the hands. Ex: I tend to bite my nails so I wear my retainer during the day

Do you think trichotillomania can affect other mental health problems you might have? It could add to self-esteem and perhaps worsen other compulsions, or create unhealthy coping mechanisms

How can people around best support you? By being understanding and help you identify triggers and coping mechanisms that work for you.

Final question! What one thing would you most like to tell people about trichotillomania? I'm not really sure, I'm sorry!