my psychiatrist says i have bpd, but won’t officially diagnose me with it
hi everyone!
in my state you can only be diagnosed with bpd at the age of 18 or older, which leaves me with two more years of navigating this with barely any treatment for it. my therapist reccommended a support group that she was going to sign me up for but never did and im kind of dissapointed about that. ive done a lot of research into bpd and everything just seems to make sense now.
@rivez I've heard of that happening. I don't think it's in line with the national guidelines (which just say "beginning by early adulthood") but states can make their own rules.
Are you not able to contact whoever runs the support group directly?
Charlie
There's an adolescent diagnosis that contains most of the symptoms of bpd, disruptive mood dysregulation disorder. It's usually more appropriate because your brain still has soooo much development ahead.
I also understand how hard it is trying to get help as a teen. Adults tend to think they know more than you. Even though you're young, you're still the expert on you.
And there are still some practical concerns about having a bpd diagnosis in writing. I'm sure your psych is concerned about that. Bpd is unfortunately still very stigmatized. I've have some borderline tendancies but don't meet full criteria and I've had to hide that diagnosis to access care and be taken seriously.
You can still access treatment without a specific bpd diagnosis by targeting symptoms and causes: DBT for self harm/ mood regulation, trauma focused therapies for any trauma history, medications to target depression or anxiety etc.
I hope you can advocate for the care you need. What's written in your record can help guide that, but it isn't the be all end all, and it can also make it harder, even though that isn't fair.
@rivez
Sounds like it was really validating to have the explanation. I can relate to being told something without a diagnosis, mine there isn't even a diagnosis for because it's new!
Sounds like it's hard without support. Know that you have us here regardless. Have you thought about asking whether she can sign you up, chasing it up? I can imagine she might be really pleased that you want to work on it!
Thanks for sharing and hope you are okay 💜