Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

The Fourth Death (written when I was overwhelmed with grief)

User Profile: Nyctosaurus13
Nyctosaurus13 September 13th, 2025

It took four funerals

for me to notice

I was still alive.


For years,

I wore numbness like armor,

thinking apathy was power.


But grief waited.

It stayed patient,

like a stray dog by the door.


And one night at 3 a.m.

it climbed into my bed

and I cried -

for her,

for them,

for me,

for every goodbye

I had skipped.

2
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 September 14th, 2025

@Nyctosaurus13

This captures perfectly for me the fact that grief comes unexpectedly.

It takes no prisoners.

It has no timeline.

No rules.

It comes at us full force.

We have to face it eventually.

Your poem is raw, honest and relatable.

Thank you for sharing!

💜💕

1 reply
User Profile: Nyctosaurus13
Nyctosaurus13 OP September 14th, 2025

Thank you so much, @Amanda84… it means a lot that my words resonated with you. Grief really does show up uninvited, and sometimes the only thing we can do is just feel it. I’m glad poetry could capture that, even a little.

load more