Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

8 Ways to Motivate Yourself to Be Healthy

User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 September 1st, 2022

"1. Self-determination: Do it your way.

Feeling empowered to make our own choices ascribes value to our health decisions. Having autonomy over your choices to select the healthy experiences you want is precisely what gives them meaning. So however you choose to be healthy, ensure you do it your way.

2. Technique: Do it well.

Whatever your approach, enhancing your technique in pursuing competence can help you stay motivated. The better you become at being healthy, the more you’ll want to stick to it.

3. Relatedness: Do it together.

Feeling close to and valued by others is vital for maintaining your motivation to be healthy. Social relatedness in pursuing a healthy lifestyle can come in many forms.

4. External awareness: Understand your circumstances.

Being aware of your environment and personal circumstances can help you stay grounded in your health expectations. It is important to note that, despite highlighting the importance of autonomy, some aspects of health remain out of your control.

5. Novelty: Mix it up.

The initial enthusiasm you feel for any activity will inevitably fade away. This is not to say that your overall motivation to stay healthy should also dimmish. Looking for creative tweaks to shake up your food and exercise routines can prevent things from going stale.

6. Goal setting: Set clear, controllable, intrinsically rewarding goals.

How you set your goals is likely to determine whether or not you can achieve them. Goals should be intrinsic rather than extrinsic. Intrinsic motivation is when you act for the inherent enjoyment of what you are doing. Choose to pursue the exercise that brings you the most enjoyment, and choose the foods that make you feel good (not just in the moment).

7. Tenacity: Be tenacious.

"Tenacity," the persistence in maintaining or seeking something valued or desired. This quality has been associated with successful aging by predicting higher energy and general health measures as we get older.

8. Honesty: Be truthful about what you’ve done, what you’re doing, and what you’d like to achieve.

If we are honest about our experiences, our efforts in the present, and our hopes for the future, we stand a better chance of sticking to tasks in the pursuit of a healthy life."

Read the complete article available at Psychology Today!

Reflection:

What are some of your 'health' goals?

*Some of mine are eating intuitively and incorporating more exercise into my daily routine.*

#Health #Food #Motivation
13
User Profile: calmDew1576
calmDew1576 September 2nd, 2022

@comfortableNight4463 These are some very interesting information! I feel that most of these tips are based on self-love and listening to our own needs. I believe that health is not just about the body but also about the soul. So it is very important to do things we love and not engage into activities just because they are considered healthy as long as we don't enjoy them. This would cause negative emotions and that's not what health is. Thank you for the post!

1 reply
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 OP September 4th, 2022

@calmDew1576 Exactly!

load more
User Profile: innateJoy9602
innateJoy9602 September 2nd, 2022

@comfortableNight4463

Great Post!

I also feel I need to incorporate exercise more into my daily routine!

Thanks for sharing :D💛✨

1 reply
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 OP September 4th, 2022

@innateJoy9602 I wish you well on your journey of working out. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

load more
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 September 5th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463 I think some of my health goals are to try and workout 3 times a week and just to generally eat healthier! I want to lose weight, but I am trying not to think of it that way because I just want to be healthier and not worry about the number on the scale.

3 replies
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 OP September 5th, 2022

@fruityPond7887 You have a lovely mindset. It's important to remember that we are doing it for our well-being. I wish you luck on your health journey! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

3 replies
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 September 12th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463 Aw thank you so much! I appreciate you! ❤️

2 replies
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 OP September 14th, 2022

@fruityPond7887 You're most welcome. I appreciate you back!

1 reply
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 September 16th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463 Thank you so much! 💗

load more
load more
load more
load more
September 14th, 2022

Loose weight is my healthy goal

1 reply
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 OP September 16th, 2022

@bubblyPumpkin8003 I hope you're able to do it in a healthy way. Good luck on your goal!

load more
User Profile: adaptableFig1408
adaptableFig1408 September 16th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463

These information are so positive. A person, must have the ability to love themselves, will have the ability to love other. Do what you love and be yourself, and you”lol have a healthier mind.

1 reply
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 OP September 26th, 2022

@adaptableFig1408 Well said! Thank you!

load more