Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Finding Food Freedom: Ditching Diet Culture and Learning to Trust Your Body’s Cues

User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 March 5th, 2022

KXCo21T19ArlPKCUpPy4g_j0JMN5RXRP7H_-R6_kM-yRRvvXZb4LVG1im0RhAwx33A3FpZkVUU7oq0csRc-rCVBmU60NphNaNMJHKQEtc4DNXv1Y7iirBfrQsBUW1UWCDV9gd2ki

“In other contexts, food freedom refers to ditching dieting culture and restrictive diets by giving yourself permission to enjoy all foods in moderation (unless allergies or medical needs prevent you from eating certain foods).

In that application of food freedom, practitioners see food as more than just fuel. They seek to build a positive and judgment-free relationship with all foods, where guilt is not considered an ingredient in the eating experience.

This view of food freedom encompasses intuitive eating and mindful eating, two philosophies that cultivate self-trust around food choices and reject unnecessary restrictions.”

My Takeaways From This Article

  1. Food of all kinds is made to be enjoyed. Freeing ourselves from the concept that certain foods are “bad” and certain foods are “good” can help us liberate ourselves from the food morality concept that many diets push.

  2. The most important concept of food freedom is moderation. Understanding that any food can be enjoyed with proper moderation can be an excellent theoretical foundation to building an enjoyable but healthy diet!

  3. Understand what your goal is. Yet don’t deny your body of things you enjoy! Have a cookie or dessert. Unless you have allergic reactions or medical dietary restraints, one cookie won’t cause you to magically lose your dietary goals. Being mindful of each food consumption and meal can help us find moments to enjoy foods and still keep our health.

Full article is here!

What are some ways we can start practicing food freedom today? Did this article change your aspects of what eating is? Share your thoughts!

#PhysicalHealth #Food #Diet

7
User Profile: KBeauty12
KBeauty12 March 5th, 2022

I am going to be very honest here. When I hear pple going on strict diets on a routine basis, to me I find that it puts a limit of enjoying food. I cannot eat the same thing every day in the week, nope...its boring...

Yes, I take dieting as very important, I try not to dwell on fast foods. In my household, we cook.


And who doesn't like to taste new things....

1 reply
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 OP March 5th, 2022

@KBeauty12

Thanks for sharing that insight! I agree with you. Eating the same thing or same pattern can get really boring. I definitely think practicing food freedom can help you enjoy the foods you want yet maintain healthy goals!

load more
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 March 5th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806

Thanks for this great article! This really hits home because I'm trying to eat healthier right now, but I have such a sweet tooth! 😩 Currently, I try to eat well during the week and then I have my "cheat days" on the weekends, but this doesn't always work. It's hard to maintain that balance too because my mindset is very "all or nothing" so it's difficult for me to not feel as though I ruined my whole diet because of one cookie. I think I have to train my brain to not be so hard on myself and enjoy the memories I am sharing with my loved ones over dinner!

2 replies
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 OP March 5th, 2022

@fruityPond7887

I completely understand that mentality. I used to avoid sugar like a plague because I thought it would completely ruin my goals. But after easing myself into eating small amounts of sugar like one cookie I realized it really didn't do anything to my body in the long-run.

1 reply
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 March 7th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806 Exactly! And honestly, if you don't give yourself a little bit of a break here and there, the binge will be so bad later on.

load more
load more
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 March 5th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806 A wonderful article! I'm trying to eat healthier and workout more often, and I find that not restricting myself completely off certain foods has helped.

1 reply
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 OP March 5th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463

That's awesome! Definitely being able to enjoy the foods that you want to occasionally is great for motivation and sustainability in the long run. I like to motivate my workout sessions by eating an extra cookie at my meal!

load more