Healthline: How COVID-19 Pandemic Has Affected the Mental Health of Teens [TW: Self-Harm]
"In the survey, more than half – 55 percent – of high school students said they experienced emotional abuse from an adult in their home. In addition, 11 percent said they experienced physical abuse.
The study reported that 37 percent of high schoolers experienced poor mental health during the pandemic and 44 percent said they felt persistently sad or hopeless the past year.
Another 29 percent said a parent or another adult in their home lost a job during that time.
“These data echo a cry for help,” said Dr. Debra HouryTrusted Source, the acting principal deputy director at the CDC, in a statement. “The COVID-19 pandemic has created traumatic stressors that have the potential to further erode students’ mental wellbeing. Our research shows that surrounding youth with the proper support can reverse these trends and help our youth now and in the future.”
Lesbian, gay, bisexual youth, and female youth reported greater levels of poor mental health as well as emotional abuse by a parent or caregiver, the CDC reported. These groups also attempted suicide at a higher rate.”
My Takeaways From This Article
The hidden pandemic or the second pandemic that occurred during COVID was mental health as many students and people alike were suddenly stripped of daily life and bunkered down to live mostly in social isolation. This article shows that high school students were particularly affected by mental health issues due to various reasons including loneliness, racism, parent-child conflicts, and many more.
For many students, detrimental family environments with additional pressures of online classes caused significant increase in mental health issues which also led to an increase in self-harm and suicide attempts.
It's important to understand as students to keep in check our mental health as it can so easily be swayed by circumstances if we’re not careful enough. Additionally as teachers, parents and in general people who may be working with kids, it’s important for us to regularly check in with teens and children as mental health issues are not just an adult orientated issue.
Full article is here!
For those who are students, how have online classes and the pandemic affected you and your mental health habits? For those who are teachers, parents and people who work with teens and children, what are some ways we can actively promote mental health awareness for youth?
#MentalHealth #Pandemic #Teens
@sunnyWriting4806 From someone who had to take college classes online during the pandemic, I found myself to hate online classes especially when they were live. I found myself just turning on Zoom and then going back to bed. It was horrible and my grades weren't the greatest during that time. I was too exhausted to focus and I found myself making excuses when I was supposed to be in person and would just lay in bed and go to class via Zoom. Not a good time!
@fruityPond7887 i was doing the same thing
The transition to online was just incredibly hard
@zealousGrace5023
The transition was so drastic I agree, imagine your whole life going to class with fellow peers and seeing your teacher/professor face to face. All of sudden it's just through a screen.
@zealousGrace5023 It was, especially because the professors really didn't know how Zoom worked. I think it was a learning curve for everyone. I think the only good thing that came out of it was that it increased flexibility once everyone learned how to properly use Zoom.
@fruityPond7887 yeah absolutely
it was a struggle for everyone
i would still prefer in person classes and but dont struggle with online medium as much anymore
@zealousGrace5023 Yeah I agree with you on that one, but I do like taking exams at home 😉😂 allows for some wonderful notes to be on the side
@fruityPond7887 hahah yeah idk how to transition back to normal exams now
@fruityPond7887
That sounds super similar to my scenario, for me all my online classes were recorded so I didn't even bother attending class most of the time. Thus I would just push everything off to the point where I just got super behind and didn't know anything by test time. It was terrible, but I finally was able to find a way to force myself to give myself an actual routine to prevent me spiraling out of control.
@sunnyWriting4806 Right exactly! I definitely think hybrid was better than completely remote for me, but I still couldn't wait to be back in person!
@zealousGrace5023 It definitely must be hard in transitioning back to normal exams! Does your school have you doing exams on paper again yet?
@fruityPond7887 not yet but i am dreading it for sure
@zealousGrace5023 You got this! I believe in you and your smart brain! 😍
@fruityPond7887 thank you so much!! ❤️
@fruityPond7887
I've begun the paper exams and its definitely different from doing it online haha! Feels nice to be back, but it's definitely a lot harder to study for and I honestly forgot how involved in-person school was.
@sunnyWriting4806 Oh yeah I understand! Studying for exams knowing the fact that there will be notes takes such a weight off your shoulder, but there's pros and cons to everything :)
@sunnyWriting4806 I know many people who are having a tough time due to the pandemic. I try to be there for them and help as much as I can. It can be especially grueling to be someone who lives alone. Thank you for this article!
@comfortableNight4463
Thank you for being there for them! I'm sure they appreciate it a lot and love the fact that you're there for them. I think it's really great that this kind of awareness and information can help us reach out to others who may going through this kind of issue!
@comfortableNight4463 I agree with @sunnyWriting4806 I would be so appreciative that you were there for me during a difficult time and especially if I was alone. I think that's one positive aspect of this pandemic- we all realized we had to band together and be supportive of one another. 7 Cups is one of those ways we can do that! 💙