Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How TikTok is Affecting Your Brain and Mental Health

User Profile: globalBraid3744
globalBraid3744 March 19th, 2022

The video platform is currently under investigation by a number of US states to determine its influence on young users’ mental health.

_1647707784.image.png

Dr. David Barnhart, the clinical mental health counselor at Behavioral Sciences of Alabama, said all social media platforms can impact how a person views themselves. But TikTok users are exposed to dozens of videos within minutes, activating the reward pathway in the brain. Young users can become addicted to the app and may seek constant stimulation. In addition, Barnhart said young users are often exposed to TikTok videos that fuel body dissatisfaction, appearance-related anxiety, exercise addiction, and more. These videos can distort our self-image.

“They begin to get this view of themselves in comparison to other people and the more of that we see, the more distorted our view of what it’s like to be the best, to be good.”

What have I learned

  • Viewing content on apps like TikTok might promote body dissatisfaction, appearance-related anxiety, and exercise addiction among others
  • TikTok activates reward pathway in the brain that might grow into addiction, however, regulating our usage can prevent this
  • Regulating our use by postponing our use of a social media app until we get our stuff done can be effective

You can read the full article here


💬 What are your thoughts on this article?

💬 Are you a TikTok user? Have you noticed any negative effects from using the app (or similar apps)?

💬 What can we do to use these kinds of apps without impoverishing our mental health?


#TikTok #mentalhealth #well-being #brain

8
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 March 19th, 2022

@globalBraid3744

This article can be a bit challenging because I think in terms of negative influence, TikTok is definitely not the first to impose such issues (it's been with instagram, facebook in the past). Yet I do think social media having a detrimental effect on people is definitely real.

I am an avid TikTok user and I've noticed the amount of time that can go by when just scrolling through. It really can be addicting and if not controlled can eat up a lot of time in your day. Also TikTok pushes a lot of standards that many youth follow which leads to the TikTok culture.

I think TikTok is a great consolidator for conversation and connection with people online. But its important to understand that it has its negatives. I think having a healthy mindset that online is heavily edited, and being mindful of overconsumption are some basic steps in keeping our usage in check.

2 replies
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 March 20th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806 This is a great response. Well-said!

User Profile: globalBraid3744
globalBraid3744 OP March 22nd, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806

I agree that it is not about TikTok per se. Lots of things in life depend on balance and can have a significant effect on our health when it is out of balance. I believe all things have positives and negatives. Having a healthy mindset and acknowledging that the content online (on any app) might be heavily edited and being careful of overconsumption can prevent us from experiencing the potential negative effects.


load more
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 March 21st, 2022

@globalBraid3744 I am an avid TikTok user and I have been since way before the pandemic! 😂 I think TikTok is great in small doses, but I am also guilty of going on for hours and just scrolling. I think limiting our time on these apps is essential because we can become distracted from what we really need to get done. Using these apps as a reward for getting our work done can be a great idea!

2 replies
User Profile: globalBraid3744
globalBraid3744 OP March 22nd, 2022

@fruityPond7887

I love your idea to use these apps as a reward for getting the work done! As you said it works as a perfect distracter and can keep us entertained for hours and it is definitely more appealing than working so it is easy to procrastinate. I am also guilty of losing perception of time sometimes, so now I have set a goal for myself to regulate my usage more.


1 reply
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 March 25th, 2022

@globalBraid3744 Oh yeah. It's definitely a time sink and they're addicting because the videos are so short, so it doesn't take much of our attention span! They're a perfect recipe for distractions!

load more
load more
User Profile: Ilovethewarmsun
Ilovethewarmsun March 25th, 2022

It's banned where I'm from lol