Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

MedicalNewsToday: What are hypnagogic hallucinations?

User Profile: professionalVision2624
professionalVision2624 June 14th, 2022

MedicalNewsToday: What are hypnagogic hallucinations?


DrslCktzvb2ASRRsG8-S0O1cALqJtfhGhWsUp-tmS0iSih6hX7wPHg2MFPnji236ycDlho3hkjF-AcHVKL1pUzqZNZ5CbTDZx1gjCCU9UY5oUvS4eDye-kpEXJIiJ0MZHtze-kiqwxfstBNfbQ

Image source: Pexels.com


Author's personal note: Sometimes when I have been on the verge of falling asleep, I have had the feeling that I’m falling for a split second and I immediately jolt awake. I decided to do a deep dive into this nightly experience and found the following article: MedicalNewsToday: What are hypnagogic hallucinations?


Definition:

“Hypnagogic hallucinations are imaginary sensations that seem very real. They occur as a person is falling asleep. Sleep-related hallucinations are common in the general population and can take many various forms.


Causes:

Researchers have not uncovered the exact cause of hypnagogic hallucinations but they often happen because of an underlying medical condition or during periods of poor sleep and stress. These hallucinations can be the result of narcolepsy, Aside from narcolepsy

hypnagogic hallucinations may have links with Parkinson’s disease and schizophrenia. The condition also has links with anxiety and insomnia.”


Symptoms:

A person will experience vivid hallucinations as they fall asleep or just before falling asleep. These can be images, smells, tastes, tactile sensations, or sounds. A person may also feel as though they are moving while their body is still. This sensation could be a feeling of falling or flying.


Risk factors:

Certain factors may increase the likelihood of experiencing hallucinations. They tend to occur less frequently as a person ages, and women are more likely to experience these hallucinations than men. If a person uses drugs or alcohol, they may be more likely to experience hypnagogic hallucinations.


Read the full article Here!


Reflection:


Have you ever experienced a hypnagogic hallucination?


#HypnagogicHallucination #Sleep #Falling

8
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo June 15th, 2022

I have the falling sensation sometimes, although I thought that was because of myoclonic jerks so not really sure I would classify them as hallucinations. I don't get visual hallucinations with them that I can recall which seem to be fairly common with what is being discussed.

I suspect there is a major hereditary factor, as my sister gets this and I noticed them with my nephew when he was falling asleep on me one day.

I thought these were fairly infrequent for me and do tend to occur more often when I'm feeling sicker. My husband says nope he can almost always tell when I have fallen asleep by my twitching.

I don't always experiencing the falling sensation when they are big enough to wake me up, sometimes it's just a jolt, no falling sensation.

Could be twitches & falling sensation count as both, not sure.

1 reply
User Profile: professionalVision2624
professionalVision2624 OP October 26th, 2022

@AffyAvo

Mhhhh maybe <3 Yes I have also felt the "falling sensation" right as I was about to fall asleep and it jerks me wide awake. I think it does have a hereditary component to it but also if I'm stressed there is a higher likelihood that I will expereince one. Thank you so much for commenting and sharing your expeiences about this strange hallucination type.

load more
User Profile: globalBraid3744
globalBraid3744 June 15th, 2022

@professionalVision2624

I find this topic very fascinating! I think I have never experienced a hypnagogic hallucination. Although I remember one instance when I was very sick and I was awake with my eyes closed and I could see strange patterns. It was a long time ago, maybe it was only a dream but as far as I remember it felt like a state between alertness and being asleep.


1 reply
User Profile: professionalVision2624
professionalVision2624 OP October 30th, 2022

@globalBraid3744

I'm so happy you found this article intersting! That sounds like a visual hallucination you expereinced there that might have been connected to your mind being tired due to sickness.

load more
User Profile: calmMango9611
calmMango9611 October 28th, 2022

@professionalVision2624 Thank you for sharing this information with us.

It was very eye opening for me.

1 reply
User Profile: professionalVision2624
professionalVision2624 OP October 30th, 2022

@calmMango9611

I'm happy you liked the article! <3

load more
User Profile: aliothwyou
aliothwyou October 28th, 2022

@professionalVision2624

I thought this happens because my body wanted to do a vibe check with my brain 😂
Either way, interesting info ! I never really knew until I came across this post

Thank you :) !

1 reply
User Profile: professionalVision2624
professionalVision2624 OP October 30th, 2022

@aliothwyou

Awww! I'm happy you understand it more now and why it happens. It's a strange thing to experience for sure <3

load more