Psychology Today: Immune Health and Mental Illness

"The interaction between the gut microbes, the body’s immune system, and the central nervous system plays an important role in mental health.
The GALT
The gut-associated lymphoid tissue (GALT) is considered the largest immune organ in the human body. A component of the mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue (MALT), the GALT is comprised of many different types of immune cells and is responsible for auditing food antigens and bacteria as well as helping to regulate the intestinal immune response.
The ENS
The enteric nervous system (ENS) is part of the autonomic nervous system (ANS), which is responsible for automatic bodily functions such as breathing, heart rate, and digestion.
The neurons of the gut control gastrointestinal motor functions and secretion of gastrointestinal enzymes, while communicating with the brain.
It is estimated that up to 95% of the body’s "feel good" serotonin is produced in the gut.
The CNS
The brain is a primary component of the central nervous system (CNS).
he brain and the intestines are in constant communication through the vagus nerve, the spinal cord, and the sympathetic system of the ANS, responsible for the fight-flight-or-freeze response.
The Gut Microbiota
Through a variety of mechanisms, trillions of these microorganisms stimulate and regulate the intestinal epithelial barrier, the enteric immune system, and the intestinal immune cells. These organisms also produce molecules that influence inflammatory response and neurotransmitter production.
When the System Breaks Down
- Gut dysbiosis, or alteration to a healthy gut microbiome, resulting from things like a poor diet and/or disease processes, can lead to intestinal barrier hyperpermeability, or "leaky gut."
- eaky gut allows toxins and pathogens to leak out of the digestive tract and into the body, triggering an immune response from the gut-associated lymphoid tissue (GALT)
- Secretions of triggered immune cells, such as cytokines, can result in a defensive response leading to chronic systemic inflammation.
- Systemic inflammation has the ability to degrade the protective blood-brain barrier.
- Immune cells responsible for maintaining balance in the central nervous system (microglia) are activated to a proinflammatory state by the circulating microbial toxins (lipopolysaccharides), resulting in neuroinflammation.
- Neuroinflammation can lead to a variety of mood disorders and neurodegenerative diseases
Proactive Steps to Protect Gut, Immune, and Brain Health
1. Remove Food Allergens
Food allergies (IgE antibody-mediated) and sensitivities (IgG antibody-mediated) will initiate an undesired immune response, gastrointestinal damage, and potential blood-brain barrier damage, which compromises mental health.
2. Feed the Good Gut Microbes
Eat whole foods rich in complex fibers such as whole grains and vegetables, which, while indigestible by humans, serve as a staple for healthy gut microbes.
3. Heal and Balance the Gut
Common natural health supplements including L-glutamine, omega fatty acids, collagen, and others have been shown to help heal gut hyperpermeability.
Read the full article here!
Reflection:
How would you describe the state of your gut health? Have you noticed it having a relation to your mental health?
*I had the worst gut health during finals week. I'm pretty sure it was brought on by the stress and anxiety of having to study and take the finals. My mental health was not great at the time and I panicked at the slightest thing. Now that I'm on vacation, I've noticed that my gut health has improved noticeably*
#Immunity #Gut #MentalHealth #MentalIllness
@comfortableNight4463
I have noticed my stomach becomes more sensitive and more bloated during periods of high stress. I usually refer to this as "stress stomach" so yes I have noticed a connection between gut health and mental health. A really interesting article and it does make people that are "suffering in silence" with their anxiety-induced gut health problems which many people are embarrassed about and probably don't speak enough about in their social circles either. Thank you for sharing this wonderful article!
@comfortableNight4463 This is a very interesting article
Thank you for posting!
@zealousGrace5023 You're welcome!😊
@comfortableNight4463 eating fermented Foods, and avoiding highly processed mass produced foods are the easiest Ways of promoting gut health. By far the easiest Stuff to make Is Kefir. It's So easy, in fact, that in the summer here in the uk it's So quick to mature it's Difficult to consume It fast enough. I also make kombucha, which requires more care but is quite delicious.
Guys, have you heard that medical marijuana can be very good for your health? To be honest, I only recently found out about it, because I used to think that marijuana was very harmful to health. I don't want to know how to smoke marijuana properly, so I found pre-rolls https://westcoastsupply.cc/products/pre-rolls/. It's convenient because I get the product ready to use right away.