Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Psychology Today: New TikTok Challenge Highlights the Dangers of Bad Fads

User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 April 4th, 2022

shutterstock_214403830.jpg?itok=VkLYWJPk

"There is a new fad sweeping America: the "Orbeez Challenge,'’ an online dare that encourages kids to film themselves shooting strangers with soft-jell beads using a toy pellet gun. The perpetrator then uploads the video to social media platforms like TikTok and Snapchat. There have already been over 150 million views under the hashtag #OrbeezChallenge. The problem is, when fired at high speed, the water-based beads can become dangerous projectiles; some have even frozen the beads to make them more potent. The challenge went viral in mid-March and has generated a slew of injuries and arrests. There have been reports of cars randomly driving up to strangers, firing the beads, then driving off. As some pellet guns can appear to be real firearms, police are concerned that someone could mistake the incident for an actual shooting and fire back. The maker of the beads, Spin Master, has asked people not to use them as projectiles and noted that they neither sell nor manufacture pellet guns.

Fads often involve unconventional acts, such as the goldfish swallowing craze of 1939, which began with a dare between two Harvard University students. Soon, colleges tried to outdo one another. In typical fad fashion, it began in people of high status and spread to those who wanted to be part of something exciting and novel. Engaging in fads also highlights the need to fit in and be popular. After a while, when the craze is taken up by more and more people, it loses its appeal. Before long a new fad is born and gains popularity.

Most fads are harmless, short-lived enthusiasms that center around trivial objects and ideas, like the 1950s rage of wearing Davy Crockett racoon skin hats. The 1960s brought us love beads, Troll dolls, and go-go boots, while during the ‘70s pet rocks and mood rings were in vogue. It is difficult to see the harm in these fads unless you are brandishing your pet rock as a weapon or wearing your racoon hat in the woods during hunting season. But occasionally, fads go bad and can lead to serious injury, even death. In recent years several bad fads have taken the form of online challenges.

Being part of an internet challenge by filming and uploading one’s exploits can make it seem more acceptable and strengthen the connection to one's online peers. It can also foster a feeling that ‘everyone’s doing it so it must be OK.’ The ‘Orbeez Challenge’ is the latest in a long list of potentially dangerous internet fads. One recent social media challenge involved daring someone to swallow a spoonful of powdered cinnamon without any water. The so-called ‘Cinnamon Challenge’ has resulted in several students being hospitalized with breathing problems from the fine powder entering their lungs, causing inflammation and scarring.

It can be exciting to perform in front of a global audience of one’s peers, especially when it offers immediate feedback in the form of views, likes, and comments. But there is more involved than peer pressure and excitement. Harvard pediatrician Clarie McCarthy believes that the tendency of teens to engage in dangerous online challenges can be found in their lack of frontal lobe development—the part of the brain that controls judgment, insight, and risk-taking. This can lead to rash decisions with little thought given to the consequences. Perhaps the best example of this lack of forethought was the response to the Ice Bucket Challenge, where several people, mostly teens, had hot water poured on their heads. As a result of the ‘Boiling Water Challenge,’ many were treated for burns."

*As silly as these challenges may be, they can be extremely dangerous. The Orbeez challenge seemed harmless at first, but then I saw that people were using pellet guns that possibly looked like real guns and running the risk of being harmed by someone armed with a real gun. That's scary! It interested me that the pediatrician from Harvard, Dr. McCarthy, said that the lack of frontal lobe development in teens increases the chances of them completing these challenges because they don't have that judgment and risk-taking portion of their brain completely developed yet. Why can't teens just do dance challenges? 😂*

Have you ever participated in an online challenge that was potentially dangerous?

#OnlineChallenge #FrontalLobe #Dangerous

Read the full article here.

10
User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 April 4th, 2022

@fruityPond7887

I have to say, this is the first time that I have heard of the "boiling water challenge." Oof.

Have you ever participated in an online challenge that was potentially dangerous?

As to this question though, I have not. That may be a product of my age, or lack of activity on social media, but I have always had a healthy respect for death/potentially maiming my body 😅.

3 replies
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP April 5th, 2022

@sereneSunset26 Lol yeah I haven't heard of the boiling water challenge either until I read that article. There were a few more challenges in the article that I didn't include like the cinnamon challenge and a challenge to hold your breath to "experience" some sort of euphoria. The only challenge I ever did was the ice bucket challenge, but that's safe compared to these!

2 replies
User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 April 5th, 2022

@fruityPond7887

I also did the ice bucket challenge, which really does seem tame by comparison to the others mentioned in the article, lol.

1 reply
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP April 7th, 2022

@sereneSunset26 Yeah especially because it was in the summer and hot out anyway 😂

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo April 5th, 2022

@fruityPond7887 I'm sad to hear that the boiling water challenge is thought to be the result of the ice bucket challenge and there was no mention of something like this - https://als.ca/tag/ice-bucket-challenge/ It didn't even bother to mention ALS, which the challenge was a fundraiser and awareness driver.

As for the dangerous activities, I think they are less so fads and moreso memes, maybe the cinnamon challenge is the exception there. I don't think enough people really participated to make them a fad. The ideas were passed around.

Have I participated in an online challenge that is potentially dangerous? Yes. I have participated in challenges posted here, and with my illnesses something like walking has that potential. I do try to be mindful of my trigger threshold when doing so though.

1 reply
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP April 7th, 2022

@AffyAvo Hi Affy! Thanks for your thoughts! I do agree that the icebucket challenge at least raised some awareness for ALS and hopefully, brought some donations in! It was a harmless challenge, but some of these other challenges are dangerous and pointless! I am glad that you were considering your limits when doing these challenges!

load more
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo April 5th, 2022

For the boiling water 'challenge' there is this - my first hit.

https://www.southcoasttoday.com/story/entertainment/2021/02/16/boiling-water-challenge-trend-makes-its-way-southcoast/6747659002/

I have done this, as have many other Canadians. I never thought of it as a challenge though. Potential danger feels pretty low, slipping is probably the highest part.

1 reply
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP April 7th, 2022

@AffyAvo Oh yeah I have seen that where people take the boiling water into freezing temperatures to see if it freezes instantly when thrown up into the air. I think in regards to some other boiling water challenges, some people dump over their bodies. I will never understand why people do this.

load more
User Profile: globalBraid3744
globalBraid3744 April 5th, 2022

@fruityPond7887

I have never participated in any challenge because I am not active on social media. I feel like some challenges (like the dance challenges that you mention) might be fun to do while harmless but I feel sometimes the trends go too far. I think it is important to spread awareness about potentially harmful challenges like Orbeez or Boiling Water Challenge. Thank you for this post!

1 reply
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP April 7th, 2022

@globalBraid3744 I agree 100%! Thank you for taking the time to read and respond! 😊

load more