Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Psychology Today: Thoughts for Survivors on Mother's Day

User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 May 8th, 2022

kat-j-7i1wrtrz5qq-unsplash.jpg?itok=AhNNMutx

"Mothers Day Is Not a Happy Holiday for Survivors

Not every daughter or son wants to celebrates Mother’s Day. We are taught to believe that we need to respect and love our mothers.

For those of us who have been hurt or traumatized by our mothers, we are told we need to forgive them and move on. On many occasions people tell me, “my mother did the best she could.” These sentiments are coming from a place of goodness, but in many cases that does not match the childhood we survived.

It took me years of therapy to come to terms with my history of childhood abuse. I did not want to believe that my own mother did not protect me or hear me. When I talked in therapy about my relationship with my mother I would say things like, “How could a mom do that to her own daughter?”

Through the years I have met men and women who felt like they did not have a mother. I have met people who have been abandoned or emotionally and physically abused by their moms. On some occasions I have counseled clients who were sexually abused by their moms. I have talked to many colleagues and clients who felt parentified and made to feel responsible to protect and take care of their mothers as children.

The impact of growing up motherless leaves devastating effects. Some people resort to self-destructive tendencies to mask their pain and shame. Some of the common behaviors reported in reaction to being motherless are restricting food and joy, abusing alcohol or drugs and in some cases re-enacting abusive behaviors in intimate relationships as partners or parents.

dave-lowe-vi9wpj8l5ma-unsplash.jpg?itok=lKzVzxrM

We Are Not Alone

For all of us out here who are dealing with feelings of shame and loss on this Mother’s Day, remember you are not alone. We have choices about how to deal with all the emotions that come up each year, on this day.

Earlier in my recovery, I isolated and went into shame attacks on Mother’s Day. There were years when the pain felt so intense, I just wanted to disappear. I know now that many people have felt similar feelings when the loss of the mother they never had is triggered.

One of the most important lessons I learned from my therapist was that the behaviors or limitations of others was not about me. If you came from a family where your mother did not protect you, abused you, or made you feel responsible for her well-being, that was about her!

We are not the cause of other people’s choices. Not all parents are equipped to love and nurture us the way we want to be taken care of. That does not make us unlovable. Rather than sit in the pain and anguish of this loss, we can turn to self-care and self-compassion. If you are grappling with pain and sadness as another Mother's Day comes and goes, consider using one or some of these strategies.

tim-mossholder-sr8byn6xy3k-unsplash.jpg?itok=2qLxX2DW

Tips for Taking Great Care of Yourself on a Difficult Day

1. Take some time today to acknowledge your grief. Rather than dwell on it and let it consume you, allow yourselves fifteen minutes to express whatever emotions come.

If you feel sad, give yourselves permission to cry. If you feel angry that you do not have a mother you want to celebrate, validate the feeling and find ways to express it. Write about the anger. Reach out to a friend who understands what it’s like to feel motherless.

2. Think about some of the women you have met through the years, whether it be a teacher, therapist, family friend or coach. Write down sayings or statements they made that left you feeling loved and cared about. Picture one or all of them standing with you, wrapping their arms around you saying: You are loved. You are worthy. You are a good person. You deserve to live a life full of kindness and self-compassion.

3. Take time today or everyday to nurture someone or something. Create a plan. Plant in your garden. Spend time with your pets. Sit with your child or children and instill messages of love and joy.

4. Unplug from social media. Step away from pictures or stories that result in you feeling more lonely or triggered. Set boundaries. Decide what you can and cannot do on this day. Ask yourselves, “Am I making this choice out of guilt?” Focus on self-care. Go for a hike or take a yoga class. Go to the beach or try a new recipe. Make plans for yourselves that are about comfort and connection.

5. Reach out to mom figures you have met through the years. Tell them three things you love about them. Call one of them and ask them what they love about you!"

*I can imagine how difficult it can be for those who struggle with childhood abuse or those without a mom on Mother's Day. I wanted to share this post as a reminder that you are not alone and you are allowed to feel your feelings. The actions of others are not your fault and you did not cause your own trauma. I am so sorry that you went through what you did, but allow yourself this time to grieve and talk care of yourself. If you are a mom of your own kids, turn this day into a way to celebrate yourself! Even if you aren't a mom, do something fun and enjoyable! It doesn't have to be a sad day. 💛 We are here for you!*

#Mother'sDay #Survivors #SelfCare

Read the full article here!

Have an amazing day everyone! :)

17

@fruityPond7887

Awww thankyou for this super awesome post, Pond. 💛

Love, light and strength to everyone. 💛

And hugs to those okay with hugs. 💛

1 reply
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP May 9th, 2022

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou Thank you Sun! You're the sweetest ever 🌼💛💞

1 reply

@fruityPond7887

As are you, lovely Pond! 🤗💛

1 reply
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP May 12th, 2022

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou You're too kind Sun 😘💖💛😍

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 May 8th, 2022

@fruityPond7887 Thank you for this article! It's important to acknowledge that Mother's day might not be a happy event for some.

3 replies
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP May 9th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463 Thanks for reading! I can imagine it must be very hard for many and I am thinking of those struggling on this day.

3 replies
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 May 9th, 2022

@fruityPond7887 You're welcome! Thanks for being inclusive of everyone.

3 replies
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP May 12th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463 Of course! I'm happy that we are able to encourage everyone through these articles and make sure everyone feels supported ❤️🌞

2 replies
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 May 15th, 2022

@fruityPond7887 That's amazing of you!

1 reply
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP May 16th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463 Thank you! You're too kind! <3

load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 May 9th, 2022

@fruityPond7887

Thank you so much for posting this.

I gotta say that it was both enlightening and oh so heavy to find both of my parents in psychological textbooks. Specifically one entitled "Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents: How to Heal from Distant, Rejecting, Or Self-Involved Parents" by the psychotherapist, Lindsay Gibson.

This book basically said a lot of what this article did. And like I said in the other thread as well, it's been a journey of self-discovery, entailing just about every emotion possible, with regard to my recovery from parental abuse and neglect.

So yeah, both Mothers and Fathers Day are days for me to reflect and realize that while the parental dice may have fallen in an unfortunate way for me, that I can still pave my own way forward--no matter what. :)

5 replies
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP May 12th, 2022

@sereneSunset26 I am really sorry that you had to grow up in that environment. I am sure that lasting effects of that are really hard to work through, but I know that you are strong and you will get through this! I am very proud of you!

4 replies
User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 May 13th, 2022

@fruityPond7887

Honestly? Me too!! Haha!!

But I really do try to see the silver linings (not just because it's a good idea, but because I feel I have legitimately found some) in terms of the skills that I have gained through both surviving and thriving. There's been ways that I have been able to help people in my life that I am not sure I would have been able to if I hadn't have gone through what I did.

That said, I would never sign up for round 2, lol, and I'm not nearly humble enough to be one of those people who truly mean that they wouldn't have had their lives be any other way. But, I am me, and am finally at peace with who I am. More or less lol :)

3 replies
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP May 16th, 2022

@sereneSunset26 That's amazing! Honestly, rough patches teach us the best life skills and while they aren't fun to go through, they provide us with the ability to be empathetic to others. Again, I'm really sorry you had to go through that, but I hope it made you stronger and I know it has allowed you to help so many people on here and in real life! <3

2 replies
User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 May 16th, 2022

@fruityPond7887

"Honestly, rough patches teach us the best life skills and while they aren't fun to go through, they provide us with the ability to be empathetic to others."

I really loved everything you said (so very kind and validating ❤️), but especially this. I know I've had to remind myself lately that I've handled tougher situations than what I find myself currently dealing with. And that, like you said, when I do come out on the other side, that I will have learned more. And certainly more empathy.

1 reply
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP May 17th, 2022

@sereneSunset26 You got this! I know you will get through this because you've gone through similar experiences and still survived 100% of your hardest days! Hang in there friend! 💖 We're here for you!

load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 May 17th, 2022

@fruityPond7887

Thank you so much!!