Psychology Today: What the Pandemic Taught Us About Our Personalities
How health restrictions helped us learn more about other people, and ourselves.
“One of the hallmarks of pandemic living was living separate, but connected. Researchers have observed that shared standards, even between people who are separated, stimulates a sense of connectedness. Lukas J. Wolf et al. (2020) found that shared values were important for tackling the pandemic, including assisting others who are struggling. The research team explains that people who attached elevated importance to responsibility and security values were likely to be more willing to comply with COVID‐19 behavioral guidelines, and that shared values can prompt a sense of connectedness that may promote collective efforts to slow the spread and contain infection.
Alison M. Bacon et al. (2021) reviewed the role of personality in Covid-related emotions and behaviors. Examining the Five-Factor Model of personality, her team found, among other things, something many of us noticed during the pandemic: that extraversion is linked with a greater reluctance to socially isolate. Most of us also know people who fit this bill during the stay-at-home orders, preferring in-person activities despite the warnings. This is consistent with prior research, as Bacon et al. note that extraversion predicts a lack of commitment to containment measures, such as social distancing. Other researchers found extraverts had a negative perception of social restrictions only if they were single: extraverts with romantic partners did not exhibit this effect.
How do we define "normal" post-pandemic? Focusing on the silver lining, one of the most comforting observations now that many people have returned, at least in some respects, to pre-pandemic patterns both personally and professionally, is that we ponder that question together. We share a sense of connectedness, having lived through a challenging time together, recognizing we were distanced only physically, not socially. Perhaps having learned more about the personality traits and predispositions of friends and loved ones, as well as ourselves, we are in a good place to extend empathy and understanding and strengthen relationships.
Read the full article here!
Reflection: Has the pandemic taught you something positive about yourself and other people?
#Covid19 #Personality #Relationships #Restrictions
@professionalVision2624 I agree with this article that the pandemic has proven we are all more connected than we realize! I think I understand now that people are more supportive than we give them credit for. I think I realized who my true friends are and what it means to love and be loved. Distance doesn't have to ruin a relationship and it can really tell who will be there for you and who won't be.
@professionalVision2624 Lovely article! The pandemic has taught me that I need to physically socialize with people. Before the pandemic, I didn't realize how important it would be for my mental health but now I'm very grateful to be able to meet my friends/family.
@comfortableNight4463
I'm so happy you liked the article! Mhhhh isolation can be really determinental to our mental health and wellbeing and spending time with loved ones that we before the pandemic took more for granted has now become a good way to relax and more important than before I feel like. Because we got reminded how quickly we can lose our loved ones.
@professionalVision2624 Exactly! I underestimated how important physical interaction was. Now, I'm grateful to be able to go out and interact with people.
@comfortableNight4463
I can relate to this! I also value social interactions and the time I spend with my loved ones and family more as well. The pandemic was in some areas a "Wake-up call" for me <3
@professionalVision2624 This is so true. The pandemic has definitely made me more appreciative!
@comfortableNight4463
Exactly! And nurses have also noticed an increase in frequency of visitations in nursing homes here in Sweden where people are more appreciative of their older loved ones <3