Psychology Today: Why Are Male and Female Friendships So Different?
“The research on who we become friends with falls very much in line with common sense. We are more likely to become friends with people who are trustworthy, similar to us, and who live physically close to us. We also prefer friends who are fun to hang out with and friends who like us about as much as we like them.”
“Researchers have found that changes in friendships usually accompany major life transitions such as going away to college or getting married, but if a friendship can weather these forks in the road it can help buffer the stress of life changes. In fact, friends are mentioned in studies more frequently as sources of happiness than are family, religion, or success in one’s career.”
“Cross-culturally, men tend to report having a larger number of friends, but less intimate ones, than women. Women are also more likely than men to explicitly discuss the closeness of their relationships with their friends, more likely to identify someone as a “best friend,” and they also more easily distinguish “close friends” from people who are “just a friend.” Men generally seem to use the word “friend” more loosely than women, and they also tend to expect less from friendships than women do.” Research (and accompanying studies) have also shown that men tend to prefer friends that have wealth, status, as well as helping them find new mating opportunities. Women, on the other hand, are shown to value friends who are more apt to provide emotional support. Also, they value friends who help them keep a pre-existing mate.
“Why would men and women have different agendas when they are looking for friends? The answer may lie in our evolutionary past.
“It is believed that the day-to-day lives of men and women could be quite different in early human groups. Men traveled in groups more often than women as they hunted and engaged in raids, while women tended to stay closer to home, gathering food and supplies and caring for children.”
“Consequently, men came to value other men who were physically intimidating and skillful hunters and warriors. This may help to explain the lingering popularity that so often accrues to male high school and college athletes.”
“Women, on the other hand, were often removed from the kinship group that they were born into because of “patrilocality,” which was the common practice of women leaving home to join their male partner’s tribe. To successfully negotiate this challenge, women had to be quite astute in judging the character of potential friends. They should especially value friends who would be nurturing, trustworthy, and loyal. It would be important for the friends to be emotionally supportive and also for them to be a reliable source of information about the norms and politics of the new group.”
This article was an interesting read for me, in more ways than one. The information itself was provocative, but I also noted my personal life as a male to be somewhat of an outlier to the article’s research and conclusions. While I have definitely accrued many acquaintances in my life, I have also been fortunate enough that my friend circle has been fairly intimate–as evidenced by the conversations that we have on the regular. That said, I do recognize that by in large, male and female relationships *are* different; this article did a great job of illustrating why that tends to be the case.
Read the full article here.
#Friendships #Male #Female
As an addendum to this (for those who identify as male or female), have you noticed the types of differences in your friendships between these genders that this article outlines? Why or why not? For myself, I am a firm believer that there are exceptions to every proverbial rule. :)
@sereneSunset26
I agree with you that there are always some exceptions. I think that the evolutionary explanation makes sense. I have noticed that male friendships tend to be more activity-oriented while females usually just meet up to talk.
@globalBraid3744
I'm definitely with you as well on the evolutionary explanation. And my personal experience backs that up as well; anytime I get together with my dudes (as I call them), it's usually to *do* something. Whereas when I'm chatting with my chatting with my sister, aunt, or other female acquaintance, our interactions are usually confined to the conversation(s).
@sereneSunset26 I thought the findings of this study were really interesting! In my personal life and experiences, I definitely have more friends than my boyfriend but I do agree that I value my friendships a lot in life. My friends are an extension of family to me and I really like how they touched on why this could be through our evolutionary background.
@fruityPond7887
I really loved what you said regarding your friends being an extension of your family. Because in my case (with just a couple exceptions), my friendships have pretty much *become* my familial structure. And as such (and even just per my personality), their value to me is pretty much infinite.
@sereneSunset26 Right! I agree that family doesn't have to be blood. We can't choose what family we are born into and sometimes those people can really stink. But we can always choose our friends and make them our family!! 😍
@fruityPond7887
I resonate with this so much, because unfortunately, I was born into generational trauma and abuse down both sides of my family. With hindsight, and given the individual (and collective) emotional immaturity of my parents, I am not surprised that things have played out the way they have in my life. And while it is sad on many levels, those familied friendships have saved the day for me.
@sereneSunset26 I'm really sorry you have had to deal with that trauma from your family 😞 It's so hard when the trauma is ingrained because it can seem like there's not much you can do and it can be so hard to break that cycle. I am really happy that you did find family and support through your friends! 💖
@fruityPond7887
@fruityPond7887
So I totally meant to get back to this post before now, but thank you so much!!
You are absolutely right that ingrained trauma can feel somewhat inescapable at times and sorta like a foregone conclusion. But yeah, through meeting the right people at the right time, I was able to break the cycle.
That said, probably the most frustrating aspect leftover to live with is the management of leftover trauma symptoms. But at the same time, everyone in this life gets to deal with something. And that's something I try to keep in mind. :)
@sereneSunset26
I found this really comedic because of how much it relates to my own friendships. With my guy friends it's more so less intimate and lack of better word "shallower", and its honestly I think how we just get along. We'll find one similar hobby and instantly become friends and hang around each other. With my girl friends they took a lot more time and a bit of vulnerability to develop and maintain. Also hearing from my girl friends friendships with each other it sounds like they value that intimacy that friendships bring to them.
@sunnyWriting4806
I found this really comedic because of how much it relates to my own friendships. With my guy friends it's more so less intimate and lack of better word "shallower", and its honestly I think how we just get along. We'll find one similar hobby and instantly become friends and hang around each other. With my girl friends they took a lot more time and a bit of vulnerability to develop and maintain. Also hearing from my girl friends friendships with each other it sounds like they value that intimacy that friendships bring to them.
I can understand the ironic humor for you here, haha. Honestly, in my friendship with the same group of guys in high school, it was pretty similar. We were all into video games and we all went to Jimmy's place every weekend to play Smash Bros. With few exceptions, those were some of the best four years of my life. But yeah, if it wasn't for my individual relationship with Jimmy (as in, there was more to it than video games), there wouldn't have been as much substance there.
Very generally speaking, I've found that male friendships tend to be "shoulder-to-shoulder" whereas female friendships lean towards "face-to-face" interactions. The shoulder-to-shoulder are things such as building something, working on a car, hiking, fishing, etc. and face-to-face are going to a coffee shop or out to lunch and chat.
@Sn0r1ax
Very generally speaking, I've found that male friendships tend to be "shoulder-to-shoulder" whereas female friendships lean towards "face-to-face" interactions. The shoulder-to-shoulder are things such as building something, working on a car, hiking, fishing, etc. and face-to-face are going to a coffee shop or out to lunch and chat.
Thank you for your comment; that analogy was spot-on and provided a great way for me to visualize the differences in those relationships.
I wish I could take credit for this, but I read it someplace a long time ago. I believe it was the book No More Mr. Nice Guy, in which the author explores the subject.
@Sn0r1ax
I know that book! I came across it in a mindfulness meditation by Michael Sealey. I believe it was written by some guy named Dr. Robert Glover.
But yeah, at any rate, that book helped a lot for the reasons you stated. Especially since I grew up in an environment where I didn't have healthy role models for male (or female) relationships.
@sereneSunset26 You're right, but that doesn't mean that you should have to suffer with that trauma. I know everyone deals with baggage, but it's hard when it runs so deep. I know that you are strong and you will get through it! Keep your head up! You are more than your trauma 💪
@fruityPond7887
I do appreciate the reminder, that's something I try to tell myself on a daily basis. :)
@sereneSunset26 It's so hard to remember, I totally understand. Daily reminders are important!! 🌞