Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Walking on Sunshine: The Light of Day Improves Mental Health

User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 March 17th, 2022

Brains evolved on a planet that spins in the presence of a bright sun. During this evolution, brains utilized the distinct light-to-dark rhythm by aligning specific biological and behavioral functions with waking up each day. These circadian rhythms are fundamental to general mental and physical health. If we disconnect from this rhythm our mood declines as our sleep quality becomes impaired.

A recent study investigated whether exposure to sunshine could reduce depressive symptoms. The authors examined the associations between self-reported time spent in outdoor light during the day and mood and sleep quality. The participants were 502,000 adults, aged 37–73 years; 54 percent were women. The median time spent in the daylight was 2.5 hours each day. The results showed that each additional hour spent outdoors during the day was associated with significantly lower odds of developing a lifetime major depressive disorder, reduced antidepressant usage, less frequent anhedonia (the inability to experience pleasure), less frequent low mood, greater happiness, and lower neuroticism. These positives were independent of any demographic, lifestyle, or employment variables.

How does sunshine influence the brain? Unlike some amphibians and reptiles, sunshine is not able to penetrate directly into our brain through a hole in the top of the skull. Our hair, skull, and cortex get in the way. Humans, as well as most other vertebrates, have a small number of specialized cells in our retina that are sensitive to sunshine. These specialized light-sensitive cells communicate with multiple brain regions that are associated with the control of circadian rhythms as well as the control of mood.

In general, greater daytime light exposure predicts better sleep quality, fewer insomnia symptoms, better mood, and less fatigue.

*I definitely feel much better when the sun starts to stay up in the sky for longer periods of time in the summer than I do in the winter! Just having longer sunshine throughout the day is enough to make me feel better overall. I should walk outside a little bit everyday, but I'm still working on that! :)*

Do you feel that the sunlight makes you feel better? Do you take daily walks outside?

#Sunshine #MentalHealth #CircadianRhythm

Link: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/your-brain-food/202202/walking-sunshine-the-light-day-improves-mental-health




14
User Profile: zealousGrace5023
zealousGrace5023 March 17th, 2022

@fruityPond7887 watching the sunrise and walks during dawn is one of the best most peaceful and calming experience

The sun definitely helps

User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP March 19th, 2022

@zealousGrace5023 Oh yeah I definitely agree!! I will always remember the time I woke up early with my dad and my sister to watch the sunrise on the beach. It was gorgeous!

User Profile: zealousGrace5023
zealousGrace5023 March 20th, 2022

@fruityPond7887 that sounds like a such a great experience

User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP March 21st, 2022

@zealousGrace5023 It was absolutely beautiful and something that I'll never forget, even if I was really tired! 😴

User Profile: zealousGrace5023
zealousGrace5023 March 24th, 2022

@fruityPond7887 i can imagine

glad you got to gain such a cherished experience :)

User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP March 25th, 2022

@zealousGrace5023 Thank you so much 💞

load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 March 18th, 2022

@fruityPond7887 Lovely article! Sunlight definitely helps me feel better. I notice that I feel low mostly during the dark winters.

User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP March 19th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463 Thank you for reading! I agree 100%. Winters can be so hard on our mental health 😩

load more
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 March 19th, 2022

@fruityPond7887

Any article about circadian rhythm is super interesting! Just as sleep is important, making sure our days are healthy and set are vital for good health, physically and mentally. Getting exposure to the sun during the day helps our mind set a healthy schedule in which it can focus on telling our body to give us proper energy, metabolism and hormones to get through our day. That way at night our body naturally signals for the opposite (sleep). It's super simple but super important!

User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP March 19th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806 It is!! I definitely need to get outside more! 🌞

load more
User Profile: globalBraid3744
globalBraid3744 March 19th, 2022

@fruityPond7887

I love sunlight! It always makes me feel better when it is not cloudy and the sky is clean with the sun shining. Despite this, I do not take daily walks outside but I am trying to increase my time spent outdoors as it has many benefits.


User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP March 21st, 2022

@globalBraid3744 I agree completely! :) I really wish I liked being outdoors more, but the bugs and the heat drive me crazy and I get cranky lol 😭

User Profile: globalBraid3744
globalBraid3744 March 22nd, 2022

@fruityPond7887

I get what you mean! When I put a blanket in our garden and sit on it, there are many bugs flying or crawling around. I find that it is better when I keep moving because then they do not bother haha.


User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP March 28th, 2022

@globalBraid3744 Exactly! I can't even enjoying being outside because I just worry about them too much 😂

load more
load more
load more