hurting, and lonely after marriage breakdown
Hi all
I felt I needed to have a bit of a heart to heart, I'm feeling upset, lonely and raw. I was with my husband for 7.5 years, 4.5 married.
I'm not sure we were that good for each other, we both have anxiety and struggle with emotions, we never really opened up to each other unyet we still understood each other and loved one another.
That said I had to leave, I was becoming upset and frustrated all the time, he would build me up to knock me back down...i can see now it was emotions abuse..despite that I feel a big hole in my life and I'm trying to deal with being alone for the first time in my life. I've always bounced from relationship to relationship!
I want to enjoy being me and learn more about myself but I'm terrified.
thank you for reading! Need to big virtual hugs
@elloworld
Hello there sweetheart,
Im going to start of by sending you warm hugs filled with much love and strength to help you through your day ❤️
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us today, and I'm ever so sorry to hear about your marriage breakup, this is a very difficult time for you as emotions and feelings are at an all time high, what I do admire about you, is the fact that you have found the strength to put yourself first, you have recognised your own needs, and have put an action plan in place so your recovery process can begin, and that my friend, is an incredibly brave step to make🙂
I do hope you can find support in real life to help you through this process, and of course, you have a whole community here at your dispense when you feel the need, so please, don't feel alone here, we are here for you, but remain strong dear, your going to be just fine once you adapt to your new beginning, in a funny sort of way, you can look at this as being an exciting new start, rediscovering yourself and making positive changes towards your further.
All the very best ❤️
@elloworld Hi there ( Hugs
) i understand how difficult this is for you, and am very very sorry you did go through this, but i won't hide that i smiled when i did read, that you want to learn more about yourself, but you're terrified, so take it from someone who have dealt with that for years, it is worth it, to explore yourself so much, that you will keep finding a lot of secrets about yourself along the way, and realize others, and you will find it quite satisifying, if you wish we can always talk, send me a message if am there i will respond instantly if not, i will ASAP, stay strong <3
@TheFallenOne14s thanks 😊 I want to be brave enough to do new things, meet new people, do things alone and not feel scared.
He still has this pull on me, I can feel it. I know I have to contact him occasionally as we are still untangling things financially.
thanks for your support, I may well take you up on the offer and message you. 😊
@elloworld
I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through, but good job for recognizing it was important for your wellbeing to leave a situation that was emotionally abusive! I know exactly what you mean when you talk about the fear of being alone again. It's definitely a shock adjusting from being with someone to being single again. For the past few years I never really spent time getting back on my feet again and always found someone else to fill the void, but this time I'm actively choosing to be alone and really find myself again before getting into a relationship. It's been a difficult process moving forward as it's tempting to fill the void with someone else, but sometimes the best person to fill that void with is yourself :)
Rediscover yourself. Who are you outside of your relationship? What are some things you can focus on now without the stress and burden of an abusive relationship? I spent so long catering to my previous relationship that I didn't realize how much my sense of self was being eroded with every day that passed. My identity became blended with his, and things I used to stand up for, find interest in, or felt passionate about had dwindled down and became neglected. I've found myself falling back on those things again, and although it's been lonely at times, I know doing this will help me get back to the mindset where I can be in a place to give and offer things in a relationship. I don't want to get into a relationship because I'm afraid of being alone, I want to get into one because I feel I've found someone who's compatible and wants to build a life with me :) so for me, that's the mindset that's been carrying me forward, especially on difficult days.
@ResilientEdge thanks, like you I was loosing myself, more and more. I wasn't seeing people I was consumed by anxiety and guilt.
I've found it harder in the last few weeks as I've been ill....but I have to remember that I always looked after myself when ill anyway!
I want to focus on creative things, making clothes, things like that but I'm still not quite in the right head space for it.
I need to be patient with myself and not expect to just bounce back all happy and fine all the time.
@elloworld
I want to commend you on being so brave and leaving an emotionally abusive marriage. That takes true guts and strength, give yourself tons fo credit for that. With that being said, I am sending you big hugs because as you and I know it wasnt and isnt easy. You will go through a period of grieving and loss. You will feel lonely and may even doubt whether you did the right thing. All these feelings are a normal part of grief that is assocaited with any loss. Feel for feelings as they arise, cry as you need to, and reassure yourself that you are strong and mighty and that you will make it. At the end of the strom is a rainbow of new life waiting for you. This is a time to rediscover yourself and the you you have always dreamt of being.
i@ali1112 thanks for your reply, I'm really struggling today and it's an effort to be out of bed, I'm working from home today as I keep breaking down in tears. I did doubt myself and pretty much went back to him for a week or so, but I had another light bulb moment and left again and have stayed "left".
I have just admitted to my manager in a long heart to heart email about how I feel, should feel good about that but feel awful that I'm no yet strong enough to talk over the phone about it. When I'm doing things for myself I tend to cry and breakdown so no one can understand me over the phone!!
This is the hardest thing I have ever done and I know time will help, but I have to be strong and help myself, reach out to friends, family and you lovely guys here and get through this.
I hear there's live chat here somewhere whichI hav no idea how to find, but would love to get involved.
Thanks all, off for another little cry. head held high as I'm doing it for me!