Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

My ED made me push away my friends and now they won't talk to me

User Profile: fightingforfreedom24
fightingforfreedom24 March 4th, 2020

I had an eating disorder for nearly two years now, and didn't notice that I was pushing my friends away. Apparently they were hurt that I wouldn't confide in them about my problems and now they won't even talk to me (they pretend I dont exist) My 18th birthday is coming up, and this is the first time I have no one to spend it with. Graduation dinner and prom is also here soon - and I don't know if I should even go if I have no one. It hurts so much to be lonely and have no one to confide in.

6
User Profile: WaltzOfFae
WaltzOfFae March 4th, 2020

@fightingforfreedom24

I'm incredibly sorry to hear that. Eating disorders are a complicated thing, and they often affect people's lives more drastically than anyone expects or notices. You said your friends are now ignoring you? Have you tried reaching out to them and asking if there's anything you can do to salvage that friendship? Or offered to explain yourself, while still accepting some responsibility?

User Profile: fightingforfreedom24
fightingforfreedom24 OP March 5th, 2020

@WaltzOfFae I tried, but they say I have changed too much. I used to be the one that always cracked jokes in class and was the one who never took anything too seriousy, but I didn't realise that I completely retreated into my shell these past year. Should I try reaching out to new people and give up on trying to fix my past relationships?

User Profile: WaltzOfFae
WaltzOfFae March 5th, 2020

@fightingforfreedom24

If you think it's the right option, then you should. I'm not allowed to give advice, but I am allowed to tell you that if your friends aren't willing to be friends with you because of changes you couldn't stop, then there's a very likely chance you aren't meant to be friends anymore.

March 5th, 2020

@fightingforfreedom24

That doesn't seem like something friends are supposed to say. Aren't friends supposed to care about you and want you to be happy, even if you change? I'm sure you could find more supportive people. How long until Prom and graduation?

load more
load more
User Profile: woodsnightmoon
woodsnightmoon March 4th, 2020

@fightingforfreedom24 Eating diorders sometimes make one person dislike themselves and most people end up in isolation. I can understand your feelings of loneliness, it's hurtful

User Profile: passionflower123
passionflower123 March 5th, 2020

@fightingforfreedom24

It sounds like a lack of understanding on their part. Are there any support groups near you for people with ED's?