Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I'm a licensed therapist, ask away!

January 28th, 2018

I

60
User Profile: forcefulHuman7521
forcefulHuman7521 February 20th, 2018

I've been battling depression and anxiety for awhile now and I think they're becoming worse. Any advice?

March 30th, 2018

@forcefulHuman7521 - I just saw your post, apologies! I can

load more
User Profile: joyousBubbles123
joyousBubbles123 March 16th, 2018

Hey there , I'm a listener here . Initially I came here to seek help myself but helping others took my mind off of it . Lately some people triggered the thought again . I recently lost someone. (Natural death) But now I fear loosing more people. It's like I get scared when they go out or are not picking up. Especially my parents.My recent loss is just a trigger cz I felt like that before also. Always under some sort of pressure. I also have terrible dreams (almost 6/7 days a week). Is this serious or normal ?

Thank you for helping .

March 30th, 2018

@joyousBubbles123 I would say fearing the loss of ones you care about is relatively normal, especially if you have directly experienced a loss recently. Where it may become

load more
User Profile: Dragonfly33
Dragonfly33 March 23rd, 2018

@JDolphinLPC

I just found out in one evening my 15 yr old son is having sex, smoking weed and buying vape.

How should I handle this? My knee jerk reaction is sadness and anger.... I don't want to mess this up but I am so very clueless. If I discipline him will that drive him further away? Any advice or thoughts

March 30th, 2018

@Dragonfly33 I know it can certainly be alarming when you find out your teen is engaging in these types of activities, I would encourage open/honest discussion about it as a good place to start. Thats about all I can advise in this instance on this forum.

load more
User Profile: pessimisthater
pessimisthater March 29th, 2018

yeah your a con artist and you dont help people. You only get new clients so you can get that pay check every week.

March 30th, 2018

@pessimisthater I am sorry you feel this way but you are entitled to your opinion, certainly. But yes, as a licensed professional I do expect to get paid for my services. In general, I imagine most people like to be paid for the work that they do ;-)

User Profile: pessimisthater
pessimisthater March 30th, 2018

@JenniferDolphinLPC thats not what i meant and you know it. [edited by Anomalia to remove unsupportive content]

March 30th, 2018

@pessimisthater To be honest, I have no idea what youre talking about but as I said, you are completely entitled to your opinion and we can agree to disagree. I dont know you and you dont know me, it is quite useless to go back and forth like this on an open forum.

User Profile: pessimisthater
pessimisthater April 18th, 2018

@JenniferDolphinLPC all im saying is [edited by Anomalia to remove unsupportive content]

load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: HomeBound87
HomeBound87 March 30th, 2018

@JenniferDolphinLPC

Any advice for someone who wants to go to graduate school for clinical mental health counseling but cant afford it?

When I got my BA I was psi chi and less than a decimal point away from graduating with honors despite having to failing a semester during a medical crises. My health is doing ok, but now its been over a year since graduation and my life feels completely stuck.

March 30th, 2018

@HomeBound87 I think it

User Profile: HomeBound87
HomeBound87 March 31st, 2018

@JenniferDolphinLPC In the U.S.? Federal loan repayment isn't based on income here, at least not in reality. I had to give up healthcare to afford my loan repayment when I was too sick to work.

March 31st, 2018

@HomeBound87 Oh, yeah - I am in the U.S. I suppose it would work very differently elsewhere. I am sorry you head to give up your healthcare! I really hope you can find a way, each college should have a student aid or student assistance

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: navyKite3074
navyKite3074 March 30th, 2018

I have a question regarding ocd, long story short but, I had a horrible case with a counseller at college in Canada who might have not understood or have any idea what obession is and proceed to attempted to make claims during a session, I felt like I had rights to say i do not agree with this results? is this possible to disagree with a mannerism a counseller exhibited if she a judge you more so than helped connected ? She is actually a reason why I am no longer in my program of social services work, I have legit tried everything to vocalize it that she might have acted very nasty. When I went to go get a back up with my family doctor, turns out my gut was right and I do not have an obession disorder. Is there any way I can make a formal complaint? I been trying, I feel like I am not the first victim that these counsellers have looked at. Is it possible to have any second opinion over a college diagonised towards mental illness and behavorialism ?

March 30th, 2018

@navyKite3074 I am sorry you had such a negative experience, that is truly terrible. I absolutely think you have the right to make a formal complaint, though I am not sure how you would go about making such a complaint. I would maybe ask a trusted Professor or go to the main office to inquire how you would start such a process. I wish you the best of luck and again, I

User Profile: navyKite3074
navyKite3074 March 30th, 2018

@JenniferDolphinLPC:) Thank you, I had a feeling even faculty in my college legit that were ssw were on the hunch about mistreatment. I am not asking for reassurance in the events If I did had ocd. I was like sitting here going like as a client don't I have certain rights. I am glad this site exists.

March 31st, 2018

@navyKite3074 I hope you continue to find lots of support on this site!!!

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: goldenDreamer71
goldenDreamer71 April 8th, 2018

As a child I used to fantasize about torturing a little girl who was our neighbor. I'm worried about my mental health. Can someone help?

April 9th, 2018

@goldenDreamer71 Please reach out to a Professional if you can.

April 9th, 2018

@goldenDreamer71 Please reach out to a Professional if you can.

April 9th, 2018

@goldenDreamer71 Please reach out to a Professional if you can.

April 9th, 2018

@goldenDreamer71 Please reach out to a Professional if you can.

load more
User Profile: brightChestnut4066
brightChestnut4066 April 9th, 2018

@JenniferDolphinLPC I'd like a therapist I think. Or something. I've lived a pretty sheltered life for 10 years. Now I have been exposed to the internet for 4 years and actually quit public school a few moths ago to go to online. I thought that change was the change I was looking for but apparently not since I am still looking for something else. I haven't done school in about 3 weeks now. My parents are unaware of anything going on. I've tried telling them multiple times and failed. Too scared. The internet has opened many doors I didn't know were options. I am very confused and overwhelmed and want to go live with monks or something (I've just been thinking, no research yet) to build up my stength, I am weak. I'd like to meditate and be one with nature. School is not important to me anymore. I don't really know what to do because half of the internet is saying follow what YOU want to do and the other half says school is important. Help? BTW I have no money so I can't pay you to therapist me. My parents are struggling a little bit right now financially.

April 9th, 2018

@brightChestnut4066 I am sorry, I am not allowed to give direct "advice" on this open forum, it is meant for very general questions. As well, I suspect you are under 18 (correct me if I am wrong) and for legal reasons am not allowed to counsel online to those under the age of 18. I am not sure where you're located, of course, but generally there are a lot of free / low cost counseling resources within communities you'd just have to do some research locally. I truly wish you the very best in figuring out which path will be best for you (going to school or not). I would say it's important to finish your education as it can open many doors in your future but also important to do what you feel is best. It is hard to go back to school once you have quit, but you have your entire life to essentially do what you want -- if that helps

User Profile: brightChestnut4066
brightChestnut4066 April 11th, 2018

@JenniferDolphinLPC alright. thanks for replying :- )

April 11th, 2018

@brightChestnut4066 You are welcome!

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: Sadieroze7
Sadieroze7 April 11th, 2018

Hey guys. Im really confused. I have a therapist on here and she said she will send 2 messages a day. Its been over 24 hours and she has not responded and Im confused. I was about to pay the fee for the service, its been two days and there is a 3 day trail period. I told her that and everything that I was going to stick with it for at least 1 month and try out. But now Im lost and confused about this situation. If I pay and then I never get a response then what? I thought that was some sort of policy that they agree to send 2 messages a day. Am I wrong? Can someone please help because now Im confused.

April 16th, 2018

@Sadieroze7 I replied to this last week and it looks like my reply is gone! Agh, so sorry! Anyway, reach out to customer service at 7Cups, there might be a glitch happening. Your therapist should definitely be replying at least 2x a day. Im wondering if they arent getting your messages or if something happened on their end. You can also request to transfer to a different therapist in your settings if you feel yours just isnt responsive in general. I reply to each client 2x a day minimum and never want them to feel like they are left hanging. I will even acknowledge their messages on the weekends briefly (but thats just me)

April 16th, 2018

@Sadieroze7 I replied to this last week and it looks like my reply is gone! Agh, so sorry! Anyway, reach out to customer service at 7Cups, there might be a glitch happening. Your therapist should definitely be replying at least 2x a day. Im wondering if they arent getting your messages or if something happened on their end. You can also request to transfer to a different therapist in your settings if you feel yours just isnt responsive in general. I reply to each client 2x a day minimum and never want them to feel like they are left hanging. I will even acknowledge their messages on the weekends briefly (but thats just me)

load more
User Profile: AngryTiger
AngryTiger April 15th, 2018

As a licensed therapist, what's your opinion on the listening side of 7cups? In my expereince on here, talking to listeners has actually in some cases been detremental to my mental state as they are not qualified professionals and more often than not don't have any formal training or knowledge, yet they are offering advice as though they have knowledge you don't.

I'm conflicted, as I understand they are people trying to help, and when you don't have anyone else to turn to, that can be a wonderful thing, but when you are suffering from a specific mental illness, eg depression and you just need someone to talk to, but are told by a listener that you just need to do some activies to cheer up, I think that's incredibly damaging to the efforts.

April 16th, 2018

@AngryTiger I will agree! I am so sorry that was your experience. Listeners, from what I understand, should NOT be giving advice (even trained therapists aren

load more