I just need to share my story. . .
Hi, Im Destiny. I am currently 16 years old, and a junior in high school. Disaster struck for me when I was in 7th grade, and it never really has gone away. When I was in 7th grade, my older brother was hit by a car while walking. He was airlifted to hospital out of town. My family and I were told to say our goodbye's. We were told that if he survived at all, he would be a 'vegetable' for the rest of his life. Miraculously, he survived and can walk and talk today. He just can't function the way 'normal' people can. He looks 'normal.' Sounds 'normal.' Has 'normal' interests just like everyone else, but the chemistry in his brain because of his Traumatic Brain Injury(TBI) has changed him forever and he can't obtain a job like anyone else, he doesn't know what he can say and when, or what he can't say and when. It's really hard for him. It's really hard for me to see him struggle like this while I obtain a job, get my license, and eventually go to college (something he has tried to do, but can't.) While struggling with my brother's accident through my 7th and 8th grade year, I did however accomplish things on my own and tried to have a 'normal' middle school experience. My freshman year in high school, I found out that my dad was having an affair with another woman. My mom was devastated. It was hard to see her like she was after finding out that kind of news. It was hard to forgive my dad as well. I didn't want to talk to him for a while. My parents were going to get a divorce, but never went through with it. I kind of wish they did sometimes because 75% of the time they are so unhappy. If they are both unhappy, then how am I supposed to be happy? Since my mom found out about the affair, shes been a little bit crazy. She always has to be right, and can't admit when she is wrong to anybody. It is so frustrating. My sophomore year, my 'Grandma' practically disowned me and my little brother. She told my parents that it was their fault that my brother was hit by a car and brainwashed him into moving in with her. My older brother was oblivious to the fact that she did this to my little brother and I and said that to my parents. My 'grandma' told me to come and get all of my stuff that was at her house because it was in the lawn and told me to give her the key to her house back and that I wasn't allowed back. I don't even know what I did to her to deserve that? My junior, this boy that I really liked kinda just lead me on and then brushed me off. We were going good for a while. We were getting to know each other, I told him everything and he told me everything. Then one day I got a message from him asking me to have sex with him. I said no and decided to never talk to him again. I felt disgusted. After a few weeks of me ignoring him, his friend confessed to sending that message to me. I truly do believe that his friend was the one that sent it, because he wasn't the type of guy to do that. We started from the beginning. We got to know each other more, but each time he made plans with me to hang out, something came up and he had to cancel. He finally just told me he didn't have feelings for me anymore right after flirting with me at the park when we hung out. I don't really understand what really went wrong. Shorty after this whole thing with the boy I was and still am interested in, my puppy got really sick. I had a boxer named Sasha. I loved her more than life itself. She was my best friend. It's been almost a month since she had passed. We had to put her down to keep her from suffering. Losing her is the hardest thing I've ever been through. There are days when I just cry and cry because I need her by my side. Nobody at home is allowed to really talk about her because I burst into tears and become 'depressed.' Now, I but the word depressed in quotes because I'm not actually diagnosed with depression. I haven't talked to anyone about any of this. I kind of just keep it all bottled inside. To add on to all of these terrible things, I feel like school is finally getting the best of me. I can't do it anymore. I can literally feel the weight in my chest from all of the stress school is causing me. I really do not know how much more I can handle. You know the term "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger?" I really wish that it applied to my life. After everything that I have been through, I don't feel the slightest bit strong. I feel 10,000 times weaker. The worst thing is that my mom always tells me that she admires the strength that I've kept through everything in my life. I just wanna tell her how fake it is, but how could I let her down with that? I doubt if anyone will actually read this, but thank you if you did. Also, my little brothers long time best friend, who is like a brother to me asked me for nudes. I felt so freakin disgusted. He's a freshman by the way. I don't know why he thought he could ask me that. It ruined the relationship I had with him as my 'brother.' I have to keep this disgusting secret from my little brother as well. I don't know what my little brother would do if he found out. So there's my story. What's yours?
Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry you've had to go through all that. I hope opening up about it helped at least a bit.
"It's possible for things to get better too." I repeat this many times everyday and it helps. Thank you for bravely sharing your story.
"It's possible for things to get better too." I repeat this many times everyday and it helps. Thank you for bravely sharing your story.
Thank you for sharing your experiences. That's an awful lot to have gone through at such a young age. I was diagnosed as bipolar several years ago and I've learned quite a few things throughout my experiences with mental imbalances - one, that if you are feeling depressed, it really does help to share what's going on in your head, otherwise you deal with it all by yourself, and that tends to not help anything. So good for you for taking that step in sharing what's going on - I truly hope that sharing has helped you at least a little bit! Two - one of my favorite things about life, is that it is always changing...yes, good things change and sometimes go away, but that means that bad things can change and go away too...not everything sucks forever. Some experiences may stay with you forever, but it hopefully won't always be as bad as it is. Best of luck to you on your journey - and I may not be a listener on here, but if you ever need someone to talk to about depression, don't hesitate to speak up! :)
Wow! Thanks for sharing all of that. This sounds like you've had quite a bit to handle in your life. I am so sorry you have had to go through all of this. I definitely relate to the brain injury of your brother too, as I sustained anoxic brain injury due to lack of oxygen and a grand mal seizure after I survived cardiac arrest and a near death experience. If you'd like I can share with you a couple of things that have helped me deal with these kind of events in my life. Best wishes to you.