Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Trauma in romantic relationships - my experience and enlightening therapy session.

User Profile: Booklover95
Booklover95 February 23rd, 2018

So this will be a thread out of my personal experience. I thought I could share to see if someone can cope better with their trauma. Hopefully will help you somehow :)

Well since I've been through abuse with my ex my anger got really bad. I isolated myself from people, I had rage attacks, always in the defensive like "better hurt you first than being hurt" type of mentality.

However today I just came out of a therapy session that honestly opened my eyes SO much.

To this day I always got angry at myself, thinking "you're a smart woman how could you submit yourself to abuse... you let this happen you're so dumb".

But today my therapist said "how was it your fault? He knew you had pain, low self esteem and no information about abuse in teens dating. You weren't in any way with the right mind. He was a coward and manipulative, any abuser is. Tell me, if a family member got through it you wouldn't blame the victim would you? You would blame the agressor".

Honestly this was so... enlightening. I always assumed it was my fault, I was so angry. But I just realised I was a victim. He was never a good person. He did what he did because he had issues himself and never faced them because he's a coward. However I'm innocent on this. That I should forgive myself and allow myself to be happy and give a second chance to people, because I'm wonderful and the abuse I went through was a fucked up human being, it wasn't my choise, but it was a crime. Specially considering I was 17.

This said I hope some of you guys can somehow get inspired or maybe get motivation to face your feelings and issues.

Also feel free to comment how you feel about this. What are your feelings on it? Do you blame yourself ? Or have you forgiven yourself? And anything else you want to add.

4
User Profile: courageousCake401
courageousCake401 February 23rd, 2018

@Booklover95

Firstly i am proud of you brave girl. I am happy that you continued and left that manipulator in your past.
I have kind of similar situation ... The similarity is that he was abusing me on every way. I fight him back and it was love and hate in same time .. With years.. We broke up went back to each other.. Many times i wanted just to revange and left him for evetythiing he did to me on purpose but i falled in love again . I left him behing , he moved away in another country where he will stay 3 years.. I went in depression in which i am 5 months ( which i belive that is result of previously traumatic experiances- which arent only conected with him) i staied home all the time and i didnt saw light until ne contacted me . He was back in the country for a few days and we talked. I was very honest that i cant play games and everything that i felt for that period and i asked him to leave immediatly if he wants to play because i am weak and i cant handle to be hurt again... He went back in the other country and i started feeling alive since our talking. We communicate and now i am aware of this- I love him on one side, but i dont want to be manipulated again. In this moment i can continue or to try again with him.. Any advice? Sorry for the long story .. Just an opinion from another perspective..?

User Profile: Booklover95
Booklover95 OP February 23rd, 2018

@courageousCake401

Don't apologise is completly fine. Is actually healthy speaking about these things.

Well my advice I think you know what will be. Is to leave him.

I think you can agree most victims all of them love their abusers. I loved mine too. But is important for us to love ourselves even more. Because in the end what matter's is if we are happy and also healthy, in safety. It seem's that you love him alot but he treats you really badly and that isn't love. Love is between two people, is not just one sided. So please try to stay away from him. I promise you the future will be much much better!

User Profile: courageousCake401
courageousCake401 February 23rd, 2018

@Booklover95
Thank you <3

load more
load more