Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Coping with childhood sexual trauma(TW vague mentions of SA!)

User Profile: bubblewumble
bubblewumble February 23rd, 2024

Hello! I was sexually assaulted, and abused throughout ages 6-10 as a kid, and I'm having a lot of difficulties coping with it. It's something I've been trying to run away from all my life, and I'm not even sure where to begin with confronting it. Most days I can't admit to myself it happened because it's incredibly painful. Recently, it's been hitting me that what happened to me was in fact real, and thing's have been really rough. Things have been triggering memories of what's happened very easily. 

I've tried talking about it with professionals, but unfortunately the mental health care system isn't good in my area, and I've been told many awful things in response, and have been brushed off. I struggle talking about it with people I trust because the shame, and pain is just too much which means I often shut down before I can get any words out. Most of the time people close to me try to brush it off, and pretend it didn't happen because it's uncomfortable for them to think/talk about, which makes me feel very alone in it all. 

I really want too face it, I'm tired of letting this control my life, but I'm not sure how too. I'm still searching around for a therapist till I find the right one. I know I have to keep shouting till someone listens, and I know I'll find someone who will listen eventually, but it looks like as of right now I kind of only have myself. Does anyone have any adivice for healing? For how to accept it happened? 

1
User Profile: Vara3112
Vara3112 February 23rd, 2024

@bubblewumble
You're doing a good job trying to look for someone. I'm proud of you for that despite the difficulty in doing so.

It'll unfortunately take time. Recovery comes with its own types of pain.

Sitting with your feelings and crying it out might help. There's not much advice I can offer besides time and patience.

If it helps, I'm sorry that happened to you.