Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

My best friend - 3 painful dates crammed in 1

It is coming up to nearly a year since my best friend of 13 years (we were more like family) took her own life. I'm aware that the first year of somebody's death is a really tough and emotional time, a lot of the firsts are, first birthdays, holidays etc.


I am finding it extremely difficult because her birthday is on the 25th of December which is coming up soon, which will also be the first Christmas without her, then the following day is Boxing Day, which was the day she took her life.


The closer it gets to Christmas is making me feel sick and horrible, I don't know how I'm going to manage it, it's going to be so intense and a lot to manage. Does anybody have any tips or advice on how to help get through?

1
User Profile: blitheSun94
blitheSun94 December 2nd, 2022

Unfortunately, I can relate to your words. In many ways the days leading up to the traumatic event are harder than the actual anniversary. I often replay things in my head and wonder what I could have sad or done to make things different. I encourage you to feel how you feel, grieve, give yourself what you need, and don’t apologize for it. Reconciliation will come, and if it doesn’t, that’s okay, too. 💕