Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How Has Sexism in Media Shaped the Way You See Yourself or Other Women?

User Profile: Mya000
Mya000 May 26th, 2025

Hi everyone,

Following last Thursday’s Women’s Circle on Exploring Sexism, I wanted to open up the conversation here to the wider community:

How Has Sexism in Media (like movies, ads, or social media) Shaped the Way You See Yourself or Other Women?

This came up during our circle, and it made me reflect on how powerful those subtle (or not so subtle) messages can be over time.

Looking forward to reading your responses. Let’s continue supporting each other and raising awareness together 💜



Starting this week, the Women’s Circle will return to its regular schedule on Saturdays at 12 PM EDT in the Support Session Room. I hope many of you can join!

3
User Profile: Mya000
Mya000 OP May 26th, 2025

@adventurousBranch3786 @ashleybell415 @ASPIRINGCOUNSELOR @Aylathegreat @azuladragon34 @blxepxndx @calmmoon2104 @Callmetanya5 @creativeTalker5179 @DaisyBeeBlooming @daydreammemories @decisivePapaya238 @Eddy94 @emotionalkitty101 @fluffypickles123 @GentleLily3 @gentleWater9634 @GoldenRuleJG @halcyonCloud2036 @HarmonyBlossom @iloveyouxx @janiewanie423 @K87 @Kala @KarmaTheRascal @KaylaMaulfair @KindnessMatters2020 @lalabrowni @listenwithempathy @LittleSunshine2036 @littleLemon4973 @LovingPeacefulHeart @MoreThanJustMe @pioneeringShade8010 @purpleTree4652 @RainbowRosie @RobinNew @shyMoon8539 @sincereSkies9563 @SirenOfSerenity @sky2Ocean20 @Smilintru67 @softSummer7903 @SomeHope2022 @SoulfullyAButterfly @tealPark1424 @TheCucumberry @trueconfidant123 @Mya000 @Noorahmed89 @OptimisticMoon1124 @PFord79

@victoriousLily5344 @woMango9097 @zaramerch @MarinaLexi @GentleHealingInitiative @FavourAdetayo03 @blueLemon6419 @ShadowFaerie @joyfulUs2825 @SarahCovak @adrjust1


User Profile: Aayla
Aayla May 26th, 2025
@Mya000 I think there's not a single woman, especially in western country that are so bombarded my media images, that hasn't been affected by body standards upheld by media.
Personally, no matter how much my feminist consciousness has grown, I still struggle with comparisons between me and other women. I understand those standards are fabricated to keep us working on our image rather than other more empowering things, to make us doubts ourselves, and to sell us products. But while I don't judge women for their appearance, I still struggle applying those principles to myself.

I don't wear makeup, but I still shave even if I don't want to, because I'm still afraid of judgement. I don't wear skirts or high heels, but I still force myself to wear elegant clothes for important ceremonies. I don't see anything wrong with women aging, but I still fear the day it will happen to me.
I'm still struggling with contradictions, it's a long journey, but developing awareness is the first step to start embracing myself more.
User Profile: Mya000
Mya000 OP May 27th, 2025

@Aayla I really relate to what you said. Even when we’re aware of how these unrealistic standards are everywhere and meant to control us, these messages sneak into our thoughts no matter what. But like you said, being aware is an important first step. Thank you for sharing your feelings. 🫶

load more