Purity culture and female cutting issues
Hello,
I don't know if anyone else here has experienced the pressure to look a certain way pelvicly or feel less sensation, but I would love to learn how you worked towards positive body image and/or stopping cutting.
I am recovering from self harm, but I thought it would be good to post in the women's thread because it is related by religious pressure to appear like you have no external genitalia to the point of dangerous cutting methods.
My current partner is very supportive, but I still face intrusive thoughts because I am just starting to work towards stopping this pattern rather than encouraging it and removing parts. How does one truly learn to always feel whole and confident in their body without modifying it further?
HI @helpfulComputer5071
thank you for being honest about something so painful and personal. I have not experienced the exact same situation, but I do understand how deeply pressure and shame can affect the way we see our bodies. I think healing starts with slowly reminding yourself that your body is not something that needs to be “fixed” to deserve love, safety, or acceptance. It takes time to unlearn harmful beliefs, especially when they were tied to religion or fear. The fact that you are choosing recovery and speaking openly already shows strength. Be patient with yourself. You are still whole, even on the days your intrusive thoughts try to convince you otherwise.