I know he's relying on me idk how to explain it to him
My boyfriend and I are in highschool. I applied to private highschool, so I've learned over the years what a school/university is looking for, how to build your resume, things like that. I helped my bf a lot with tips on what to do for ur resume, which I'm fine with. Right now he's self studying AP physics over the summer (partly because of my encouragement) and a few things happened that made me snap.
first of all he's not used to studying in the summer and usually has a lot of free time, so he often says like "idk what to do" or "what should I do" things like that and I feel bewildered because why can't he think of things to do by himself? So i have to tell him with common sense like "you can do an extra lesson, you can read a book" stuff like that all the time. I kinda do understand this tho because I always am occupied with studying and i dont rlly know that many things to do in my free time
another thing is I said we could find a physics textbook together but i haven't had the time to do that with him lately and he still hasn't found one. so i was really annoyed because it's so easy to just find free online textbooks by himself yet he can't do it without me around.
It's just those two things. so i told him about it and i said he was being overly reliant on me, and he just said like "i dont know what to do sometimes and i try my hardest to search for resources online and what to do online but it never helps" and it sounded pretty genuine so i told him that he just has to keep trying and learn. Basically he just says that he doesn't get why I don't want to give him "guidance" while I think he's just relying on me.
tldr; How do my boyfriend and I resolve this? I just want him to keep trying and spend more time learning how to find his own resources without me, but he's hurt because I told him he's being overreliant on me to do simple things.
@intuitiveSummer7943
I understand we sometimes encourage or suggest things and then our partner or BF feels like we have to be there to do it.
It sounds like he is not motivated to study and do AP work for himself and future. We cannot study for them or learn items they need to learn. It sounds like he agreed with your suggestion but had no real intention to do it for advancement but just as a way to show you he is following your suggestion.
It is hard to talk about because I feel that you thought it would motivate him to expand his learning and he is thinking it is a way to show you he is trying ... it will not be a outcome either of you wanted. my person always wanted me to do the work then took credit for it.
You are talking about your feelings, and I think that is important.