Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

osteoporosis

User Profile: adventurousBranch3786
adventurousBranch3786 October 27th, 2020

Anyone else here with osteoporosis? Is there anything that helps?

15
User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence October 28th, 2020

@adventurousBranch3786

Hello there, how are you doing?

For what I know there are different levels of osteoporosis, it's not always the same. Some meds can be prescribed at a time but it needs to be checked by a doctor.
Hope that someone may share here their experience with it so you can exchange yours with them too.

Cheers!

2 replies
User Profile: adventurousBranch3786
adventurousBranch3786 OP October 28th, 2020

@LoveMyRotty Hi there. Thanks for answering. I like the beautiful dog!

1 reply
User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence October 28th, 2020

@adventurousBranch3786

You are welcome!

It is not my dog but it looks like my big boy! yes

load more
load more
User Profile: Katbtrying552
Katbtrying552 February 11th, 2021

@adventurousBranch3786

I crossed from "normal" into osteopenia (next stop: osteoporosis) at my last bone desnisuty screening. I have since learned that taking iron supps within a few hours of calcium is a mistake; those two minerals interfere with your body's absorption of either. So step one was calcium at lunch, iron at bedtime (8+ hours later).

I was mystified as to why I was seeing this decline as I worked active, physical jobs my whole life, especially the last 24 years, and weight bearing activity is supposed to help keep bones strong. But my mom had it and I thnk her mom did (they've both been gone for decades), too, so maybe it's just genetics?

Step two is adding more formalized weight-bearing activity. In addition to my normal walk the dog 4 times a day, I am experimenting with body weight exercise. I hope it will help; it certainly won't hurt and any fitness improvement is a good thing.

If your doc hasn't put you on supplements or prescriptiont calcium/medicaltion, please ask what they recommend.

7 replies
User Profile: adventurousBranch3786
adventurousBranch3786 OP February 13th, 2021

@Katbtrying552 Yes they sugested calcium and weitbearing exercise which I am doing. Thanks so much for your response.

User Profile: eternalHero77
eternalHero77 July 27th, 2025

@Katbtrying552 My doctor originally put me on a prescription I forget da name but I was on it a few years longer than I should've been. I also at dat time was given vitamin D. On my last bone density test I was informed my osteoporosis has gotten worse. I started taking a multi vitamin an I asked doctor for both magnesium an calcium but he told me not to take da calcium as he said there is calcium already in da multi vitamin. He’s sending me to a bone specialist which wont be til December to see if theres other options to help strengthen my bones. I have fallen once but thankfully after a few months of healing I was fine.

5 replies
User Profile: adventurousBranch3786
adventurousBranch3786 OP July 27th, 2025

@eternalHero77. Did you beak a bone?

4 replies
User Profile: eternalHero77
eternalHero77 July 27th, 2025

No

3 replies
User Profile: adventurousBranch3786
adventurousBranch3786 OP July 28th, 2025

@eternalHero77. Good to hear you didn’t break a bone. I’m in an osteoporosis group where some have broken bones and it’s very painful.

2 replies
User Profile: eternalHero77
eternalHero77 July 29th, 2025

@adventurousBranch3786 Oh boy- have dey been able to heal?

1 reply
User Profile: adventurousBranch3786
adventurousBranch3786 OP July 29th, 2025

@eternalHero77. Yes  they did but some people had to have surgery depending on where they broke a bone. I haven’t broken any bones fortunately.

load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: Ghsthntr6
Ghsthntr6 April 8th, 2021

A bone density scan showed bone loss and weakness Am On calcium and D3

User Profile: raul5626
raul5626 October 27th, 2022

protection


Good nutrition and regular exercise are essential to keeping your bones healthy throughout your life.


Calcium


Men and women between the ages of 18 and 50 need 1,000 milligrams of calcium per day. This daily amount increases to 1,200 milligrams when women reach the age of 50 and men are 70.


Calcium-rich food sources include:


Low-fat dairy products


Dark green leafy vegetables


Canned salmon with bones and sardines


Soy products like tofu


Breakfast cereal and orange juice with added calcium


If you have difficulty getting enough calcium from your diet, consider taking a calcium supplement. However, excessive calcium has been linked to kidney stones. Some experts suggest that excessive calcium intake, especially in supplements, may increase the risk of heart disease, although this is not yet clear.


The Division of Health and Medicine of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine recommends that a total calcium dose, from both supplements and diet, be no more than 2,000 milligrams a day in people over 50 years old.


Vitamin D


Vitamin D improves your body's ability to absorb calcium and improves bone health in other ways. Some vitamin D can be obtained from sunlight, but this may not be an adequate source if you live in a high altitude area, stay home, regularly use sunscreen, or avoid the sun due to the possibility of skin cancer.


Food sources of vitamin D include cod liver oil, trout, and regular salmon. Some milk and breakfast cereals also come fortified with vitamin D.


Most people need at least 600 IU of vitamin D daily. This recommended amount increases to 800 international units per day after the age of 70.


People who do not have other sources of vitamin D, especially those with limited exposure to sunlight, may need a supplement. Most multivitamins contain between 600 and 800 IU of vitamin D. Most people can safely get up to 4,000 IU of vitamin D per day.


exercises


Exercising can help strengthen bones and slow bone loss. Orthopedic exercise will benefit no matter when you start, but you'll get the most benefit if you start training regularly in your youth, and then continue to train throughout your life.


Combine strength training with weight-bearing training and balance exercises. Strength training helps strengthen the muscles and bones in your arms and upper spine. Weight-bearing exercises, such as walking, jogging, jogging, stair climbing, jumping rope, skiing and push-ups, primarily affect the bones of the legs, hips and lower spine. Balance exercises such as tai chi can reduce your risk of falls, especially as you get older.

1 reply
User Profile: adventurousBranch3786
adventurousBranch3786 OP October 27th, 2022

@raul5626. Thank you for all of the information!

load more
User Profile: Ash11982
Ash11982 July 28th, 2025

I can recommend taking suppliments and doing weight training, should help gain bone mass stoping porosis