Is it normal to miss the feeling of missing someone? And how to stop that?

Polly Letsch, LCSW

I provide non-judgmental, person-centered, objective therapeutic treatment for individuals of all ages to improve social, emotional, mental and other areas of functioning.

Sometimes if you are too adapted to missing that someone you can get hooked to it, remember to embrace the feeling you feel at that time, but once it has passed let it pass.
RobVL
A bit of a weird one to answer. Missing the feeling of missing feels like an acing back to an emotional state of mind that wasn't really healthy to start with. I might have this wrong on many levels but unless the person had a really profound positive effect on you, missing them or missing the feeling of missing them does not feel like something a truly happy or enriched person would embark on. How to stop it, this I think boils down to accepting what is and what was and being self aware in the process. Being self aware and accepting allows you to move past this. I don't think the memories will ever pass, but they can surely occupy a positive mind if the experiences where positive to start with.
Anonymous
It is completely normal to miss feeling something towards someone. They say that time heals all- I would recommend keeping busy, and eventually, you'll forget about them.
wonderfulTurtle49
Yes it is. Missing someone is something inevtable especially when that person has touched our lives in various instances. Stopping it can be hard but directing our attentions to other things can be useful.
uniqueMango45
Yes, I used to miss the feeling of missing my ex girlfriend because it made me feel some sense of romantic hope. I used to miss the feeling of missing a friend who stabbed me in the back because it reminded me of the good years we'd had together. You stop it by moving on and accepting it. Everything ends for a reason, and focusing only on the negative can only hurt.
Moonartisan
Yes, it is a normal feeling. From experience when I've stopped thinking/missing my significant other I notice. Noticing has been a relief but some days there is panic, that panic of forgetting. I cope by remembering why we went our separate ways, that our relationship wasn't healthy. And I remind myself that I deserve love in a healthy relationship and it's okay to move on. I give myself permission to move on.
AnnieTheHelper
It is absolutely normal to miss the feeling of missing someone. When you miss someone, it may indicate that you have something good or desirable to you that makes you have such strong emotions in their absence. The best part to prevent yourself however from missing someone too much may be to occupy yourself with hobbies that you enjoy or other activities and to focus more attention on yourself!
Rosyunicorns
Yes, it is indeed a normal feeling. Missing is the first step to moving on, To stop missing them, remember the reasons you want to stop missing them. whether they did something wrong or even a past experience. Always have positive thoughts and remember that you are stronger than you think.
Anonymous
Feelings like I miss missing this person... so they're with you and you want to miss them. Not normal. How to stop it: ask yourself why you miss the feeling of missing them. Ask yourself deeper questions about this.
GrowthMindset17
Yes. Part of moving on is the stage of missing someone. You can stop that by pushing away those memories from both of you and stop thinking about the could of's. Focus on your present,.
Lovelypink
Grief is one of the most normal emotions we all face, sharing with someone helps to process it and cope with it better
DiamondIntuition
Staying busy with something provides a healthy distraction and will improve your environment. Focusing on tasks and completing them will make time pass quickly. Some days might be tougher than others, but there's always something you can do either around the house, work or outside
huggerLover14
It is completely normal to miss someone. I am afraid you can't stop it but if you are able to talk to them, it might be good to tell them how you feel.
Anonymous
It is completely normal. You just have to remind yourself that it is good that you don't miss that someone anymore, and that you should let go completely.
sereneArrow91
Yes. It is normal to miss the feeling of missing someone. We all ache for attention and all of us have the feeling of wanting to be nurtured, loved and taken care of, In order to reduce or stop this, a suggestion may be to meet new people, to stay around the ones we love, surround ourselves by your family and do whatever that makes us happy. This is a feeling which will gradually pass away and will take time.
Anonymous
Yes I believe it is normal to miss someone but to take your mind off it so you don't stress about it so much it will help to stay busy and occupy your time with friends and family so you are not stressing about it so much and possibly making yourself sick from the stress
Duck08
Missing someone is completely normal. Personally, I feel we can never stop missing someone when they leave, but we can move on from loneliness and grief by being around good support and by loving and putting yourself first.
mcstar
It's normal to feel those emotions considering that you've established a relationship with them. They say that you don't really miss the person, but you miss the memories you've had with that person. It's hard but acknowledge the feeling and redirect your thoughts by doing things that YOU love.
beyondlove
Yes it is totally normal to miss that feeling...Because some time we get tired of things,and our mind and emotion needs some space in itself..so it starts to avoid,ignore those feelings...it maybe stay for a while or maybe little longer...but there is nothing to worry...at the end everything falls in it's own place and you will be alright..have a faith and hope... Thank you.
compassionateTouch5999
I think it is because when you are having feelings of missing someone you are, in my opinion, allowing yourself to feel those emotions. I think that when we start to decrease the amount of time we spend thinking of someone we are acknowledging that this person meant something to you and you might feel guilt because of not spending time missing them. Over time these continual thoughts begin to decrease which could vary! For me, I went with my emotions, dealing with each as they occurred and did not rush these emotions because I needed to heal as well.
tinyCat07
It is normal and quite common. Missing this exact feeling is really not the best but surround yourself with caring people, could be friends, family,anyone. Taking up a hobby, sport could also get you distracted.
ladycat946
Yes, otherwise we wouldn't be humans. Watching movies, music, sports, everything to occupy your mind.
Mara2020
Yes, it is very normal. I have family who lives over seas and haven't seen them in years. I miss them a lot. Do things to keep your mind off of them. Go for a hike or read. Just do anything that you find joy in!!!
Anonymous
It is normal to miss a person for whatever reason it may be. Perhaps unforeseen circumstances or relationship issues. However there will come a time where you miss the feeling of missing a person. Its not because you dont care but more because you have moved on or forgiven that person. So to stop the feeling of missing someone I would recommend taking your mind of it. Go out for a run go out for a meal. Do something to take your mind of these matters at hand. It will help you in the long run!
Anonymous
It is totally normal to miss the feeling of missing someone. I would try to distract myself with new hobbies or maybe going out with some friends, try new things. Just try your best to distract yourself. Find something you're passionate about and practice it
TheGlovedOne
Of course, it's normal to miss the feeling of someone, that is human nature. You can stop it by thinking about what they have done wrong in their lives, and how/why they would leave you or you would leave them. It makes you realize they are not worthy of missing. If they are, distract yourself. Go somewhere, do something.
Anonymous
Yes it s very normal you dont have to worry about it actually that what brings peace to your life. It will happen when you are ready.
Anonymous
It is very normal to miss the feeling of missing someone. To possibly stop that feeling, distract yourself from things that reminded you of the feeling of missing someone.
vix15
keep yourself busy. its okay to miss someone every now and then but you mustn't let it take over you.
ACESiT
It is normal to miss the feeling of missing someone. To miss feeling love for someone may cause you to want to miss them. To stop the feeling, remember that the past has happened, and that the future still is to come. Decide whether or not you have a possible future with this person, or if there could be someone else that you could want to feel love for.