Is it normal to miss the feeling of missing someone? And how to stop that?

Evelyn Coker, Masters in Social Work-LCSW

You have many strengths to overcome any challenge you may face. I am passionate about assisting my clients realize and develop their strengths from the inside out!

Sometimes if you are too adapted to missing that someone you can get hooked to it, remember to embrace the feeling you feel at that time, but once it has passed let it pass.
Anonymous
It is completely normal to miss feeling something towards someone. They say that time heals all- I would recommend keeping busy, and eventually, you'll forget about them.
RobVL
A bit of a weird one to answer. Missing the feeling of missing feels like an acing back to an emotional state of mind that wasn't really healthy to start with. I might have this wrong on many levels but unless the person had a really profound positive effect on you, missing them or missing the feeling of missing them does not feel like something a truly happy or enriched person would embark on. How to stop it, this I think boils down to accepting what is and what was and being self aware in the process. Being self aware and accepting allows you to move past this. I don't think the memories will ever pass, but they can surely occupy a positive mind if the experiences where positive to start with.
wonderfulTurtle49
Yes it is. Missing someone is something inevtable especially when that person has touched our lives in various instances. Stopping it can be hard but directing our attentions to other things can be useful.
uniqueMango45
Yes, I used to miss the feeling of missing my ex girlfriend because it made me feel some sense of romantic hope. I used to miss the feeling of missing a friend who stabbed me in the back because it reminded me of the good years we'd had together. You stop it by moving on and accepting it. Everything ends for a reason, and focusing only on the negative can only hurt.
Moonartisan
Yes, it is a normal feeling. From experience when I've stopped thinking/missing my significant other I notice. Noticing has been a relief but some days there is panic, that panic of forgetting. I cope by remembering why we went our separate ways, that our relationship wasn't healthy. And I remind myself that I deserve love in a healthy relationship and it's okay to move on. I give myself permission to move on.
AnnieTheHelper
It is absolutely normal to miss the feeling of missing someone. When you miss someone, it may indicate that you have something good or desirable to you that makes you have such strong emotions in their absence. The best part to prevent yourself however from missing someone too much may be to occupy yourself with hobbies that you enjoy or other activities and to focus more attention on yourself!
Rosyunicorns
Yes, it is indeed a normal feeling. Missing is the first step to moving on, To stop missing them, remember the reasons you want to stop missing them. whether they did something wrong or even a past experience. Always have positive thoughts and remember that you are stronger than you think.
Anonymous
Feelings like I miss missing this person... so they're with you and you want to miss them. Not normal. How to stop it: ask yourself why you miss the feeling of missing them. Ask yourself deeper questions about this.
DiamondIntuition
Staying busy with something provides a healthy distraction and will improve your environment. Focusing on tasks and completing them will make time pass quickly. Some days might be tougher than others, but there's always something you can do either around the house, work or outside
tinyCat07
It is normal and quite common. Missing this exact feeling is really not the best but surround yourself with caring people, could be friends, family,anyone. Taking up a hobby, sport could also get you distracted.
ladycat946
Yes, otherwise we wouldn't be humans. Watching movies, music, sports, everything to occupy your mind.
Mara2020
Yes, it is very normal. I have family who lives over seas and haven't seen them in years. I miss them a lot. Do things to keep your mind off of them. Go for a hike or read. Just do anything that you find joy in!!!
Anonymous
It is normal to miss a person for whatever reason it may be. Perhaps unforeseen circumstances or relationship issues. However there will come a time where you miss the feeling of missing a person. Its not because you dont care but more because you have moved on or forgiven that person. So to stop the feeling of missing someone I would recommend taking your mind of it. Go out for a run go out for a meal. Do something to take your mind of these matters at hand. It will help you in the long run!
Anonymous
It is totally normal to miss the feeling of missing someone. I would try to distract myself with new hobbies or maybe going out with some friends, try new things. Just try your best to distract yourself. Find something you're passionate about and practice it
TheGlovedOne
Of course, it's normal to miss the feeling of someone, that is human nature. You can stop it by thinking about what they have done wrong in their lives, and how/why they would leave you or you would leave them. It makes you realize they are not worthy of missing. If they are, distract yourself. Go somewhere, do something.
Anonymous
Yes it s very normal you dont have to worry about it actually that what brings peace to your life. It will happen when you are ready.
Anonymous
It is very normal to miss the feeling of missing someone. To possibly stop that feeling, distract yourself from things that reminded you of the feeling of missing someone.
vix15
keep yourself busy. its okay to miss someone every now and then but you mustn't let it take over you.
ACESiT
It is normal to miss the feeling of missing someone. To miss feeling love for someone may cause you to want to miss them. To stop the feeling, remember that the past has happened, and that the future still is to come. Decide whether or not you have a possible future with this person, or if there could be someone else that you could want to feel love for.
BestMotivationer
Yes it is very normal to miss the feeling of someone & the only to stop that is to slowly eliminate them from your life which also means removing things that reminds you of them. Emotional feelings takes awhile to go but it will.
Anonymous
August 3rd, 2016 5:00am
Yes. It is. The only way to stop it is to focus more on yourself and rediscover yourself. Stop thinking about other people and be the right person.
Anonymous
It is normal to the the feeling. What I would recommend is hanging out with friends/family. Go out of your comfort zone.
GrowthMindset17
Yes. Part of moving on is the stage of missing someone. You can stop that by pushing away those memories from both of you and stop thinking about the could of's. Focus on your present,.
Lovelypink
Grief is one of the most normal emotions we all face, sharing with someone helps to process it and cope with it better
Anonymous
It is, because missing them is better than not feeling anything. Focusing on better things and good things in your life will help that a lot.
0nlyHuman
To realise that to miss someone isn't necessarily a bad thing, it means that they meant something to you and that you now have experiences you can look back to fondly. That chapter of your life just so happens to have come to a close. So build on it, grow around those memories and become the best version of yourself
adorableVision7
It is definitely normal to want to miss someone and once it's gone, it's tempting to gain it back. First, acknowledge this need you have to miss them and come up with a reason why you miss thinking about this person. You're essentially taking your own time and putting it on someone else, whether they like it or not, acknowledge it or not. Best thing to do is to treat it like a breakup; after you're done reminiscing, try to start other hobbies to occupy your mind.
huggerLover14
It is completely normal to miss someone. I am afraid you can't stop it but if you are able to talk to them, it might be good to tell them how you feel.
tranquilShoulder91
So, very, very normal. Feeling is what makes us human. And missing a feeling is much like missing a person; it just takes time to come to terms with this. It's funny - just when you start getting 'ok' with missing that feeling, it seems to come back into your life (just like people, pets and all else). Life is so weird.