My boyfriend or girlfriend cheated on me, should we break up?

314 Answers.
someonetolisten

Cheating can be caused by a number of things: problems in the relationship, desire to experiment sexually with other people, bad decision making due to intoxication or drugs etc. In my personal opinion, cheating isn't the worst thing a person can do to another person. I've been the person who's cheated in relationships and it's never been because I don't love my partner. After coming to discover myself, I've realized that monogamy isn't really my thing and I've been much happier in polyamorous relationships. Not to say that this is always the case, but it really depends on a person's intention and why they cheated more than the actual act. It's also important that your partner is open with you about what happened and that you are receptive to hearing what they have to say about it. When it comes down to it, it's ultimately your decision whether or not you continue the relationship.

Take our free test to better understand yourself and Breakups

Take this emotional wellness test! Less than 2 minutes.
WhatACatchKelsey

The simple answer to this, is a plain yes. Cheating means that your partner did not love you enough to stay faithful to you, and that means that they're priorities are out of line and they most likely will not be committed to you from that point on.

Glasbes
January 21st, 2016 3:29pm

First of all, a person that found himself or herself in this situation has to understand that there in no right or wrong answer to this question. You and you only can make the best decision, as no one can truly see the relationship from your perspective nor can they feel what you are feeling. After finding out this hurtful trough you should first take a step back from your relationship and reflect on what you are feeling. Without asking for any advice or making fast conclusions you should first take a break from everything and try and calm down. Think about what you would like to ask him or her. Write down all your questions and feeling. Only then you will be ready and capable of truly hearing out your partner and moving forward. After making sure you are feeling as comfortable as you can in the given situation you should engage in an open and calm conversation with your partner. This is the time when you should ask all of the questions that have been bothering you. Best questions would sound like 'what is the reason behind your action?', 'are you interested in pursuing the other relationship more than this one?', 'where do you see our relationship in the future?' and most importantly 'would you be willing to try and make things work out?'. After you get all of your answers it would be best if you could let the partner know exactly how you are feeling. Letting him or her know how you feel is very important to move forward because only then you will see if your partner can fully understand the hurt he or she has put on you and if he or she is taking the responsibility. After having this talk you should try and find out whether the person is really sorry and is taking full responsibility for his or her actions. Also do they feel like they truly want to try it again? if after answering you feel like you should give him or her another chance you are probably right. You see sometimes people make mistakes and only forgiveness can save a relationship. However be sure this is not a thing that may happen again. Also after you both have reflected on your feeling this is the best time to talk about this with your closest friends. Share your feelings, you may need their support with whatever your decision may be. Never forget that whatever he or she may say, it is never your fault. A cheater is the one who should take full responsibility. Never blame the other girl/boy for your partner's actions. They are the ones who caused the problem and the ones who should have to be blamed. Never stalk or even allow yourself to be compared with the person your partner has cheated on. It is very important to remain confident and strong and comparison will never make you any good. You are the person he or she chose to be in the first place - surely you are amazing and beautiful. Spend time with your self. allow yourself to heal and do not push yourself to hide you feelings. It is important to greet your pain and treat it well so that it doesn't become suffering and a long term problem. You can find a lot of useful information about forgiveness here: https://www.7cups.com/forgiveness/ Remember that no matter if you break up or stay together, forgiving and letting the pain go is extremely important. Stay strong, Glasbes.

Anonymous
January 22nd, 2018 6:08am

Looking for answers on the internet...we've all been there. I just want you to know you don't have to figure this out on your own. I know this might not be something you want to discuss with your friends or family, but if you join this site you can get free, anonymous support from trained listeners and a huge support community. Nobody is here to judge.

iteach933

Hi....we come to my cup of tea....let's talk and explore the subject...big guestion....doesn't come with small answers. ....When you care for someone, you know how your emotions can sometimes cloud your thinking. ..I certainly understand how you're feeling. ..you are not alone !! I'm here for you....When your up for it contact me

KristenBugg

That is souly up to you. In my opinion yes, if someone is Willing to be unfaithful to you once, it will happen again. On top of that, the trust there is broken. And no relationship will survive once trust has been broken. It doesn't matter how sorry that person is. I believe when you turly deeply care about someone, no other person matters. You aren't going to want to cheat on them. You aren't going to be worried about other people because you are to worried about how to make your partner happy in a new way.

RememberingDecember
November 2nd, 2014 6:02am

Yes, because if you keep dating him, he will think cheating is okay. That you won't mind if he hooks up with others. Break up with him and find someone who will stay loyal to your relationship.

HighwayUnicorn

If they cheated once, they'll do it again, it's easy for them to find a replacement for you, everyone deserves to be respected, and in my opinion, cheating is very disrespectful !

Apostolic11

Wait until he does it again then make the decision to leave or not.

Anonymous

Not necessarily. It depends on how and why they cheated. It also depends on how you feel afterwards. I mean, you'll obviously feel bad, but could you live with him/her and know that you were cheated on?

Alexandria18

My ex-partner cheated and i stayed for the longest time. We talked about it plenty of times and he said he would never do it again. Of course, he kept cheating. The relationship was SOOOO unhealthy. Not just for me, but for him too. I finally decided to leave and i feel so much better now. I had no trust for him after he did that to me. Relationships cant be built without trust. Cheating takes away all trust.

CielIsMe

If your significant other cheated on you then they obviously didn't feel as deeply about you as you did about them. While this may be painful to hear, you should break it off, especially if it is a reoccurring problem. You deserve better! You are strong, amazing, and borderline perfect. That means not only do you deserve better... You can do better!

LaLun94

If the level of pain they feel reflects yours, try to mend it. Their pain is not for revenge - its for you to really know if they regret the decisions they made. The circumstance is important too, if this was planned - leave. If this was somehow an accident, or your partner was in a dark place and needed comfort somewhere else, then hear them out at least. It takes an incredibly brave and strong person to leave a relationship and bond with someone in this way. - You need to think about what will benefit yourself in the future, and what will eventually make you happy and comfortable either with them again, or in your own company. At the end of the day, only you can feel what you feel, and there is no wrong answer or choice. Every decision you make in life moulds the person you are, and adds to the experiences you've had, and the pain you've felt.

sha04

If the trust is broken there is no life in the relationship. Whether to break up or forgive is still in your choice

Anonymous
January 3rd, 2016 9:07am

I personally have been cheated on, and if you are or have been in the similar situation then you know it isn't a fun thing to go through. As to whether you should split should depend on the relationship. Everybody makes mistakes, right? There hasn't been a single human to make perfect decisions all the time. I think that if you truly believe that they are sorry and that it was just a poor decision made, and you really believe that they won't do it again, then maybe it won't hurt to keep going. It's going to be broken, but if the relationship is worth fixing to you, then do it. But if you have that gut feeling that it wasn't just a mistake, or that they aren't truly sorry, then don't fool yourself into staying. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Can't get fooled again, right?

Anonymous

That decision is truly for you to make; however, you should have an honest conversation with yourself. Ask and make yourself answer the difficult questions you may be afraid to ask yourself. Questions like: "What will I do if this happens again?" / "Will I be able to forgive him" / "Was my relationship everything I wanted?" / "Do I deserve better?" / "Is this acceptable to me?". Answer these honestly and without the nostalgia and rose colored glasses. You are the one whose opinion matters when it comes to your relationship.

SaraMichelle

It would be best to. He/she chose to do something that they knew would hurt you. They did something that made them happy at the expense of your emotions. That is something that shouldn't be rewarded.

Choral

Breaking up always seems to be the go-to answer. In fact from my experience I would talk to your partner to try and find out why that happened. Even though you feel betrayed and hurt and angry. Take time to collect your thoughts and emotions so this does not become a heated conversation. From then, both of you can decide what the next step can be.

FriendforLife

To be honest, i would say leave him/her. there's no point in waiting for someone who has no respect for you, your love, your affection, who doesn't care about your emotions. The question of breakup in itself is a pun. It's baseless, just be strong and get over the cheater. better be alone than be with someone who you know has played with your emotions.

BellaIvy77

Yes, that is something that is completely unacceptable. Fidelity is so important, you need to find someone who wants to be with you and only you.

Mugiwara

Y E S . Cheating is not okay. Cheating will never be okay. Do not allow this to happen, do not allow anyone to treat you that way.

Lalaxoxo
January 1st, 2016 5:44pm

Unfortunately, taking others advise will not solve the situation. Because its you. It's your feelings. How you feel, how you feel about the whole situtation. You could tell someone the whole of the problem you are experiencing and the pain, and they will not be able to match an answer to how you feel. This is something you need to take time out to think whether you want to continue or not. Will the trust still be there? Will they do it again? Would I be better off without them? .. Love is a weird thing. When we love someone deeply, we don't want to lose them and will accept what happens. But we need to think about us and our feelings, because in the long run, it may hurt even more than it actually does now, and you need to think about you, and how it will affect you later on in life. Cheating is a very serious problem, and once the damage is done, it can really affect our relationship big time because everything changes, whether it's for the good or bad. Do what you think is best. You know that person better than we do, probably a lot more than most people in their life.

Rjarvis1701

I am so sorry to hear that! That is always very difficult to live with. Cheating can lead to hurting someone very badly. It's not fair to ones partner when one does it. Have you discussed the situation with them?

Vongamin

Well it honestly depends on who are, situation-to-situation. You are the expert on you. If you feel like you and your Significant Other can patch things up, and move forward with a healthy relationship, then by all means stick with them. However, if you don't believe the two of you can have a healthy relationship in the future, then yes, you should break up.

helpmeHelpyou61

That is one possibility. But you should first ask yourself, do you want the relationship to work or not. People do make mistakes sometimes but it all will depend on how eager you are to forgive them and make it work. If you don't then there you go! You have the answer. But if you do, make him realize what he did, so that he won't ever think of doing it ever again. Try to put him in your shoes, I am sure that he/she will understand.

Anonymous
December 23rd, 2015 6:29pm

Unfortunately, yes. That person chose to hurt you in the most dishonest and disrespectful way. I know that people have forgiven cheaters, but at what cost to them. The loss of trust, or esteem. That person made the choices to break everything that was between you two by cheating. You dont deserve that ever. Don't lower yourself to stay with someone who does not care about you, the way you care for them.

Anonymous

Yes. We are all human beings who are somehow scared, we make mistakes, we do stupid things that we regret later. But that doesn't justify our actions. If that person really loved, then he or she wouldn't even think about cheating on you. Life is too short to be with people who don't fully appreciate you and treat you like a toy, because you deserve someone loving and caring.

Cash889

I say yes to this, most of the time. In my experience, even if the person never cheats again, how you view that person will never be the same. Some couples can work through it and be stronger from it, but this is the exception and not the rule.

Mikilin
September 22nd, 2014 2:05am

No one can answer that but you. You can chose to forgive them and give them a second chance. They do not deserve it. But if you believe that they can do better, and you want to try to make it work, you can. People can change. You have every right to break up with them. But if you want to stay, you can.

Anonymous
January 31st, 2016 2:42pm

If this is first time that your girl or guy cheated on you, and if they are asking for a second chance - ask yourself whether you want to or not, trust your instincts. Certain behaviors are simply not acceptable in a relationship. And if this is not the for the first time that he/she is cheating, then you should move on with your life. Before finding someone new there in your life, find yourself first. Love yourself, trust yourself, be in a relationship with yourself first because this relation would never end until you die. And you cannot expect someone else to understand you if you don't know yourself well. Stay strong:)

Anonymous

YES! That's not fair to either of you. He/she doesn't deserve you, and you can do better! Make sure you can confirm the fact that they cheated, and get the heck out of there!

Rivielle

It all depends on you. Maybe if he has a reason why and if you can work it out, why not? My father cheated on my mother but my mother forgave my father. Everyone deserves a chance but if he keeps doing it again, he doesn't deserve you. :) Hope you'll choose the right decision

Kathlyng90

Every relationship is different, it is something you need to talk to your partner about and figure out of it was a one time thing, or something more consistent. Go with your gut feeling, if you feel this is the final straw, move on and be happy wit the decision you made.

ShaniseJ

Before you just break it off , Get your partner's side . Not that cheating isn't a horrible thing , some people cheat only because they were lacking something , but people rarely work things out anymore they just give up . Understand , communicate and make it work .

Amanda9715

If it feels as though you can't trust them anymore, and like you never will be able to again, it is likely best that you move on from that relationship It can become toxic through worrying about whether they'll do it again.

Anonymous
November 21st, 2015 1:14pm

I think the answer to this depends entirely upon the situation and the people involved. There are so many factors involved that could change the situation entirely.

DarthNyara

I personally believe that honesty and trust is one of the most important factors in a relationship. With that said, I don't and will never be able to cope with cheating. Every situation is different, but if I know I am treating my other half with love, compassion, selflessness and more, then it is inexcusable for him to cheat. If there are any issues and insecurities, then communication is the best option. Often times our insecurities and lack of attention makes us feel unwanted, and to some, that makes it ok to go seek for that attention elsewhere. If you feel you are falling into that trap, or see your partner heading there, then step up and communicate. Don't allow someone to cheat on you, or to drive yourself to cheat on someone else.

AlexHart

Absolutely. No excuses for it. Its as simple as that. Others might disagree but they'd be wrong. If they cheat then its just straight up lack of respect. A relationship without mutual respect is like a hole in a boat. Cheaters will tell you that there are exceptions but honest people know theres no excuses. If you want to have sex with others then break up first, its not hard.

dearestgrace07

Yes. You deserve better than that. If they cheated once, they will most likely cheat again. If they truly love you, they will never cheat on you.

Anonymous

Personally, I would. But your relationship is different and you know whats best for you. Ask yourself if you can forgive this person, and if you can accept why they did it and if you can accept them possibly doing it again. If any of those answers are no, then you know what to do. It also would depend on what boundaries were established in the relationship.It's best to discuss that with your partner.A possibility is this other person, may want to break up and not know how to tell you, or simply just doesn't have the respect for you that you deserve.

Anonymous

A partner that cheats automatically creates a toxic relationship. Sit them down and explain that their behavior is wrong and then break it off.

sweetLove96

In my experience, cheating is more of a symptom than the actual problem. There's probably something else wrong with the relationship and that problem sometimes manifests itself as cheating in some people. I have known people who have gotten past it and had a good relationship after. But this is incredibly rare. What you need to decide is if you think you can get past this emotionally, that you trust your partner to not do it again, or even if the relationship is worth the effort in the first place. Sometimes, there are just relationships that we cannot save, no matter how much we love the other person. If you think the other person will never treat you like they should, you should probably let the relationship go. You need to remind yourself that you don't deserve this kind of treatment and that there are other people out there who will treat you well. They won't be the same person, and it won't be the same relationship as your previous one. But what you need to ask yourself is, "Do I want my next relationship to be the same as this one?" If the answer is no, it's time to move on.

clh2os

You need to reflect on how you feel. Do you think you can trust your partner? Do you still feel love and attachment, or do you feel as though it will grow to resentment? A beautiful quote I have seen float around the internet is " when in love with two people, pick the second because if the first was good enough--the second wouldn't have happened." Follow you heart and know how much of yourself you are willing to put out there. Ultimately, make sure you and your heart are safe and sound.

Anonymous

Unless he approached you immediately after he cheated and confessed, and unless he's only cheated one time....in my experience if he cheats once he will at least try to cheat again. When trust issues reach that level usually intense therapy is needed to maintain the relationship.

Pandette

The idea of ending a relationship can be quite devastating, but at the same time you need to think about what could happen in the long run. Ask yourself some questions first: are you okay with your partner cheating on you? Do you think your partner would ever cheat again? Will you ever be able to forgive your partner? Try listing out the pros and cons of being with this individual, sit down and have a discussion with them and see where that takes you. Communication is rarely used these days but it can help you figure out what you truly want to do. Hope this helps!

gentlemelon121

Yes, because you do not deserve someone who cheated on you. It puts you at risk for them cheating on you again. You deserve better than to be cheated on. If you stayed, you would most likely either no be happy or too worried if it will happen again.

KTM

It depends. Sometimes, our love is greater than our partner's failures. It's much more easy to forgive than to let go.

kashu510

Every situation is different. There is emotional cheating and physical cheating. Physically cheating usually is physical attraction that occurs immediately and only lasts for a moment. Emotional cheating develops overtime and your partner may find more than a physical attraction. Either way, it's something that you and your partner should talk about together.

dreamFireworks27

This has to do with personal preference in a relationship. In my experience I would break up with the person as I do not agree with infidelity. It is not fair to you to put the energy into someone who is willing to hurt you.

LittleRedFoxes
January 3rd, 2016 4:53am

In my experience. someone who cheats isn't inclined to stop. It's best to recognize cheating as an unacceptable habit that will repeat itself. It's also important to bear in mind that no matter how much we love someone, sometimes we have to do what's right for ourselves. And if we stay with someone that cheats, all that's going to happens is they'll continue with this habit and end up hurting us again. Cheating is never pretty on either end, but it's best to break up the first time, so there's no further hurt.

blissfulGrace86

Sure .... a cheater isn't wirthy of being loved or cherished and I don't forgive cheaters personally

trouvaille

This is a question only YOU can answer. You have to think about how you feel about it: 1) Will you be able to forgive him/her? 2) Not only are you willing to forgive, are you willing to forget as well? 3) Will you be able to move past it? People usually say that they forgive someone but they will never forget, or they keep that person at arm's length, and that might work with work relationships or friendships but not in a relationship such as boyfriend/girlfriend/fianceé/husband/wife. These relationships are unique in that they don't work if you don't fully trust the other person. So in able for the relationship to work and BE HEALTHY, you not only have to COMPLETELY forgive, you also have to forget. Moving past it is another essential step. You may have forgiven and thought you've forgotten but an unrelated argument days, weeks, months, or years later might re-spark the issue. Once you've forgiven and forgotten, you cannot bring this issue back into the relationship especially in an argument. If so, it only means you really have not forgiven or forgotten. So think deeply before you make any decisions. Take your emotions and your feelings into consideration and see what you can and cannot deal with.

genuineMist47

It is never easy having someone you love betray you like that. Depending for the reason behind it, you may be able to get past it. Some people can, some people can't. It's all down to you, and how YOU feel. You are the most important person in your life. If you feel like it is time to move on because you cannot trust them anymore, then maybe it is time to leave.

Anonymous

This is a question you should work out between you and your significant other. Ask yourself what the situation was, if you can forgive it and move forward- or if you feel you'll never be able to trust that person again. People make mistakes. Some will repeat them and others won't. Love needs trust, so ask yourself if you can regain that trust.

esahag2

What you should do before you break up is make sure if this is true? You need to talk to your partner and confront him about the problem. It is better to make sure than to take action.

Anonymous

I am hearing that your partner was unfaithful. As I am not you, first you should establish how you feeling about it now?

ZaybellXandra
December 23rd, 2015 5:46am

If this is his first time and it doesn't seem like he would do it again the no don't break up but if he seems like the person to do that then break up

Anonymous
January 3rd, 2016 1:59am

This is your choice. If your boyfriend cheated on you, it is up to you if you want to break up with him. But first, consider things such as, have they done this before? Are they going to continue doing this is the future? Also remember, even if they promise that they will never do it again, that isn't always the truth. Do the good things out way the bad?

daniellebee

I would say that it depends on the circumstances. If this was the first and only time it happened and they apologized, perhaps you could forgive them. If it was ongoing and you just recently found out, I think it would be best to end it. You deserve much better and while it may be hard to let go now, you'll likely be glad you did later. You can't find someone who's right for you if you're staying with someone who isn't.

simran14

if you feel your partner is worth it and it was a mistake then you can give it a thought but if they have done it intentionally then they don't deserve a chance

Anonymous

in my opinion, it will be a good idea to let he/her go. each of person can have a chance to find the one to make him/her stop looking.

Recent Answers
RajD87

Human beings are flawed spices. We are often driven by unnecessary emotions and impulses. We tend to screw up pretty often, so before making a decision, try and find out under what circumstances did they do what they did! Ask yourself "Would you do the same if you had been in their position?" Give them the opportunity to be heard. Then and only then should you make a decision about breaking up.

calliista14

Am happy to share this testimony about the great priest manuka. I am callista, my husband had an affair with another lady for almost 10 years now and it was the worse thing that ever happened to our marriage. I was forced to take a good hard look at my behavior in the marriage and I came to realize that I was partly to blame for his affair. I had become emotionally unavailable to him and when something good or bad happened in my life, I called my friends instead of my husband. I had stopped allowing him to love me and to support me and he felt as if I no longer needed him. As a musician on the road with his band, it became to much temptation for him when a girl he met on road became interested in him and was more than available for him emotionally and physically. Once I really started to examine my behavior, I realized that I had as much work to do as he did. When going through all theses problem i came across priest manuka then i explained things to him. after explanation to him, he told me what to do by bringing back my husband so i decided to follow the rules which he gave to me. Now, My husband cut all tires with his other woman and became committed to working on our marriage to save it. Today, we have a beautiful son, another on the way in a couple weeks, we own our home, and have a fuller, happier life than we ever imagined. After i came across the testimony made by lucy about how this temple of spirit brought back her ex husband for more than 6 years in marriage. so my if you are in such pain and you don’t no what to do you can contact this great man for help i promise you he will help you the way he helped me. via Email [lovesolutiontemple1@gmail.com or call him +17864385003] he will help and solve all problems around

Anonymous

You should give him-her the chance to talk. After, you decide if you can live with that... You can afront this, good luck and keep strong.

Anonymous

Being cheated on always questions the trust that you thought was built between you and your significant other.. And it'll linger in your mind whether they'll do it again. Speaking to your partner about the trust that was broken and how it can be mended back can help in your decision.

Schrute

It depends on whether you believe you can rebuild the trust and intimacy that has been lost when they cheated. Cheating on someone is essentially violating their trust and the relationship itself; if you think you can still make things work without resenting them or it being an issue for your relationship's future, then breaking up is not necessary.

Anonymous

First, it'd be best if you's sat down and spoke about this, adult to adult. Be openly honest about it and hopefully be able come to a civil conclusion.

JaydenIsHere

That's not good. This can be a hard situation for you to be in after this, due to an understandable lack of trust on your side. This is entirely up to you, as you know yourself best. Do you care about him, still? Does he care about you? Is it worth staying in a relationship like that? Is there anything else you worry about to do with them? It's hard to know for certain, but in time you will either forgive them or break up with them. Good luck!

Anonymous

Trust is a huge thing with relationships and if that person even managed to entertain the prospect of going for someone else while they are with you, then that tells so much of the status of your relationship. It's toxic. So yes, break up with them. It's not like break ups are the end of the line. You can take this moment to recover and also maybe you can rediscover and rekindle the relationship.

DazzlingMoon438

It honestly depends how the boyfriend or girlfriend tells you. If they are asking for forgiveness and it looks like they truly mean it, then you could stay together if you feel this way. If its been going on for a long time and show no remorse at all, I would question whether a break up would be the right thing to do ...

Anonymous

You should first sit together and talk about it. Was this a situation that unintentionally happened or the other? If you are both able and willing to talk about it with each other then you may come to a reasonable agreement. Whether that'd be going on your separate ways or continue with your relationship. Seeking professional help is also advisable.

BenevolentWords

While cheating is the ultimate act of betrayal, sometimes mistakes happen and relationships can be repaired after cheating occurs. Take a look at all aspects of your relationship and decide whether or not it's worth fixing to you.

Suitcase33

I was broken up with before cheated on. If they cheated, they knowingly hurt you. Try to decide for yourself if you see yourself truly forgiving them and trusting them. It will take a lot of effort and hard work and it will be different. Personally, I would not want to stay with someone who knowingly hurt me.

AncientSoul

It's up to two things imho, A. Is s/he possibly going to do it again? and why did s/he do it in the first place? I can think of a mistake, unintentional and not related to this person personality, so it's not likely to happen again, but if it was intentional or the personality itself is not honest, sincere, loyal and devoted, and perhaps going to do it again, so it's a no-no for me. B. if A checks out (s/he's good, but made an honest mistake) so it's up to your forgiveness power and span, if you're able to really let go of that incident and totally forgive it, then it's cool, otherwise, it's not healthy for the relation to hold it as a leverage on your partner, to raise whenever you have a disagreement. If you can't let it go, then the relationship won't be healthy if you decided not to break up. Good luck

Dummyqueen

It's up to you...... When the person you love cheated on you it's something hard to accept.. And not many people are same. Some people admit if they did something wrong but some not. So hard to tell if you should keep the relationship or break up.. In my opinion if one cheated on you simply mean that he or she will do it again but not everyone there are people who learn from their mistakes

oceanthelightworker

This is a very touchy subject. I would first decide if it was something i was willing to work through with my partner, if i had decided that it was not something i could get over, then yes. You should break up with them because staying with someone who you are not 100% completely comfortable with will damage your happiness, something that is very important in our lives!

Mhysie14

It really depends on the people involved. You both need to decide whether moving forward is an option or whether it would be too difficult. Often infidelity can lead to insecurities. If these aren't dealt with properly then it's unlikely you'll be able to move forward.

InfeniousHopeful

This really depends on you as a couple. The circumstances and how strongly you do feel towards each other. However, I personally believe that if the relationship was strong and both parties truly loved each other cheating would not have even been considered.

AngelTherese

I would say yes right off the bat but I won't assume that I know the situation. You know what went on. Was this person emotionally, mentally, and physically available to you when you needed him/her? Did this person make you feel safe? Did this person treat you with respect and dignity? If yes, then something really wrong happened in the middle that the two of you must discuss. If it can be worked out, great, but be discerning if it happens again. If no, then this person will probably make excuses which is NOT UP TO YOU to fix. No matter how much potential and goodness we see in people, it's not up to us to fix them when they do wrong. The must loving thing you can do for both of you, is to leave.

JD821

I would ask them if they're happy with you, be mature about it. It hurts when this happens as you give yourself to someone in hopes they will do the same. Be mature, and ask them if they're happy and if not, take the steps to move on, be the bigger person to admit that it will not work. Unless they admit that it's genuinely a mistake and they truly love you, move on. A person who cheats is usually unhappy in some aspect of themselves or the relationship.

Anonymous

Maybe you should sort it out first and then give them a chance to change. If it happens again, then maybe you should.

Anonymous

First things first, respect yourself always. Often it is hard to know exactly what to do immediately after you find out what has happened, and sometimes people rush into decisions. No matter your decision, though, remember that whatever happened is NOT your fault, and there IS someone out there who will not break your heart in this way. Respect yourself

Anonymous

Hi there, Well I would say that it depends on numerous factors. Firstly, it depends how strong the relationship actually is. Also although cheating is totally wrong, what was the actual reason for cheating? I am saying this, because I was a little naughty and cheated slightly as I knew that it was practically the end of the road with my relationship, I know that's not a strong enough reason but it's the truth. If you think that you and have the potential to build something with this person then I do believe In second chances. If you are going to give a second chance though you need to make sure your trust is strong. I hope this helps.

richBeauty88

I think you need to ask yourself if you still 100% trust them, if you decide to stay with each other what they did will always be on your mind if you see them texting by themselves or if they are talking with someone else, to be honest it'll come up in every major fight you have. If you trust them fully and believe them and know you guys can get over it together and be faithful then that's good, if not you are only hurting yourself by staying

Anonymous

It's not right for any one person to decide if you should break up but you should take a step back and look at the situation. Do I still love him/her? Would they cheat on me again? How often has this occurred? If they had any respect for me why did they cheat on me? After asking yourself some of those questions, then you should make the decision for yourself if you want to stay with your partner.

EveMarshal
February 23rd, 2017 12:26pm

Yes! because its not worth it to fight anymore with a cheater. Forgive him/her then move on. Find a better one that's never cheat! which is honest, faithful and loyal to you.

Anonymous

Is this the first time? Are you gonna be able to forgive him/her? Are you sure? Can you move on? . Ask yourself those questions

creativeStrawberry72

When someone cheats, the other partner has trouble regaining trust in the partner that cheated so even if you stay together it is all about if you feel like you can move on from that betrayal.

HeartofaPhoenix

Whether you stay together or not is a personal decision and what was true for others may are may not be true for you. In my own experience that answer depends on whether or not you can forgive your partner and if your partner is truly repentant and can forgive themselves.

DylanListener

i think that is a decision you have to make yourself and many factors influence your choice like if this is the first time and can you trust them. try weighing up the benefits of being with the person and the costs while considering the fact they have been unfaithful

allnaturalUnicorns70

That's totally up to you. Some people can accept it as a mistake and move on. Often it shows the lack of regard your BF/GF has for the relationship. Follow your gut and make sure you get respected in the end. Good luck to you!