Do I need to tell people that I'm depressed?

391 Answers.
★ This question about Depression was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.
Ben1978

It would be advisable that certain people in your life know about the problems you are facing in order that you can get the support you need and deserve, perhaps a family member or close friend. Issues like this can be slightly easier to cope with just knowing you have someone there for you and finding someone who you can confide in can be a weight off your shoulders plus it may ease symptoms. Also having someone at work/college/school who has some idea of what you're going through can be useful because some days will be worse than others and you wont have to explain to much about how you are feeling if they already know your problems. It can make you feel less alone. But thats not to say everybody needs to know your problems because you also need places you can go where no one is aware of that side of you somewhere you can go and forget about your troubles.Depression by ts nature is dark and lonely trying to cope with it alone is hard like most things and sometimes its almost impossible to drag yourself out of it but talking can help.choose who you tell and you always have somewhere you can be or someone you can be with whatever your mood.

Want to better understand yourself?

Take this emotional wellness test! Less than 2 minutes.
Anonymous
January 22nd, 2018 6:08pm

Looking for answers on the internet...we've all been there. I just want you to know you don't have to figure this out on your own. I know this might not be something you want to discuss with your friends or family, but if you join this site you can get free, anonymous support from trained listeners and a huge support community. Nobody is here to judge.

NikiTaylor

You don't need to tell anyone anything. Do what you're comfortable with. If you're afraid that you'll hurt yourself and want someone to be there to help you, tell them. If you're afraid of being labeled and put in a box, don't. If it will make your life easier and friendships stronger to tell a friend or two, then go for it. Only do what feels right for you. Only you can know that.

Chester

While telling someone that you're depressed can be helpful for many reasons, it should not be understated how important it is to assess the situation before making your move. For example, some questions you will want to consider are who you want to open up to, why you want to open up to them, and whether you feel that they will be receptive to the news. Unfortunately, the truth of the matter is that depression (along with other mental illnesses) still carries a very negative stigma in our society. While this may not always be the case, this is generally true for most situations, and you need to be very careful. You'll need to figure out if telling this person will be worth the risk. While we all wish that this were an ideal world where we could be open about mental illness, the world isn’t there yet. In a professional work setting for example, declaring that you suffer from depression may open you up to discrimination. On the other hand, you may have a very understanding boss who will be accommodating if you ever need a day off, or need additional support on difficult days. It's up to you to assess the risk of opening up. Risks are also present with family and friends. You may have those who are completely dismissive, e.g. they don't believe mental illnesses are truly an "illness", or they may be on the other end of the spectrum and be incredibly supportive. Again, this risk is up to you to assess. My opinion is that if there is a need for that person to know, if there is a good reason why you want this person to know, if there is a very good chance that they will be supportive, and if there is very low risk that they will react adversely to the news, then it may be a good idea for you to tell this person that you suffer from depression. Otherwise, you might want to hold back. The insight I’m offering here comes from my own experiences, along with things I’ve learned and researched over the years. In my own experience, my parents weren’t receptive, and opening up to my school or workplaces would have had detrimental consequences. Some of my “friends” were not receptive, and we shortly went our separate ways. A few of them were very receptive, and were there for me during the darkest times.

LondonLostGirl

No you don't. Those who care enough will ask you what's wrong. In case you wanna get it off your chest, hi, I'm here.

shufflingthesalad

If a relationship you have with someone, whether it be a personal or professional one, is affected by the challenges you face from depression, you should tell that person if you are comfortable doing so. This allows them to understand your situation, which will give them the opportunity to think of a different approach to come at you with in order to enable you to do your absolute best in everything.

Laurawreh

I think it's best to tell people that you are depressed or going through depression. Counselling is a great way to express your feelings and speak to someone about your issues that are making you depressed, and can give you advice on how to feel better.

RyanBee

I don't think you need to tell everyone, but it is certainly good to let your close friends and family know what your going through. It can definitely make you feel better to have a chat with someone about how you feel, who knows maybe they have gone through something similar and can give you some advice. "A problem shared is a problem halved"

Iara

I wouldn't say you NEED to, but having others know what you are going through can certianly help you have a better support system. Ultimately, it is your choice...you can choose who you open up to and who you can talk to about this. Just know that you don't have to go through it alone, its okay to reach out for help too.

Ifeelthesameway

Sometimes yes, because sharing your problems to people whom you trust especially your parents their words can make your chest feel lighter. And it improves your communication with the person your are sharing it with.

Radish

you don't need to do anything you are uncomfortable with, if you wish to tell people that you are depressed then there is no reason you shouldn't but if you don't want to then there is absolutely no need to

jane123

Hey!:) I don't think you need to tell people you're depressed. If they tell you your story you can see it from a whole new side and it doesn't matter if you're depressed or not

Anonymous

It is up to you to decide whether or not the people in your life need to know that you are depressed. If you feel like you are in danger whether it is a danger to yourself, or to others around you, then yes, tell someone. If you feel unsafe call the National Suicide Lifeline.

Anonymous

That is a completely personal decision! However, you can take into consideration how much you trust and confide in the person that you are thinking about telling. If you feel that you do a lot and want to share your experiences with them, then it could be a good idea to share with them.

lanadaisy

Yes, yes, yes. From my experience, when you're depressed, telling someone is the best thing to do. Whether it's a close, understanding friend, or a trustworthy adult, it is extremely important for you to tell someone. Having to deal with it alone is the last thing you want. It helps to let it out. Good luck!

Pailein

This is a great question! Yes and no. It's at least YOUR choice, who you tell this and who don't. But you should tell it at least a (professional) person, because you should let you help. Depressions are serious problems!

HamRadio4Life

You can tell people anything you'd like. It's completely up to you. But you should use discretion in who you tell. Some people may try to use it against you.

Claire91

Hey there, This is really an individual preference, I think. I believe that should be totally up to you, as it is your life, and you are the one struggling with the illness. I suppose my question would be: what are your personal pros and cons for telling people you are depressed? For example, a pro could be support from a trusted friend or family member, and a con could be someone not being understanding and further stigma. So I think it is really up to you. If you have a therapist and/or psychiatrist, this might be a good question to bring up with them as well. You can also feel free to chat about it one on one with a listener here at 7 cups. I think the most important thing is that if you do tell people, you find support, compassion, and love, which you most certainly deserve. Take care.

Hermes

Yes, but to someone who'll be helpful about it. Someone who experienced it or someone eho know how to deal with it. Not everyone cares or acts properly in that kind of statement and in any wrong response, depression will grow.

Sara889

Depression is very hard to overcome when we do not have emotional support. It is not necessary to talk about our depression to every person we know, but it is important to have a supportive network of people we can trust. Even talking about out feelings with one person can go a long way. When we open up, we feel understood, supported, listened to, and accepted. Think about finding a person whom you trust and consider opening up and sharing how you feel.

Wideawake4Life

Yes, you need to tell people that you are depressed if you want help with your depression. However, you can't just tell anyone. Many people do not understand depression or they are uncomfortable with discussing this issue and because of this, they are not safe to tell. That's why 7 Cups of Tea is a great place to tell people that you are depressed. You may also be able to tell a trusted friend family member or professional therapist which is a great thing to do. To be depressed is a normal human condition that many people struggle with, including me.

Ven

Yes. People won't know anything if you won't tell them. Moreover, telling them what you feel will help you overcome it. Depression is an enemy that can't be faced alone.

Anonymous

No, but it is better if you do. If you keep it inside for too long, it may get worse. Try to talk to a listener on 7 cups, and if you feel like you can do it, a parent or a friend.

Anonymous

It's important to have safe people to share personal information with ! Sometimes a situation is safer if people know what's happening !

Erynn

No. But it can be useful at times, particularly with people who are close to you or in situations where your depression may have a big affect on things (like work, school, best friends, family). It is 100% up to you though, and you do NOT owe anyone an explanation you are uncomfortable giving. Say only as much or as little as you would like. It may help to weigh the pros/cons of your choices and think through what you want the person to know, and why you want them to know it, before you open up a conversation.

jibran2k14

No you don't. you don't tell it to everyone, just tell it to the people that you know will support you and will help you in a certain way.

Anonymous

as many people as you can! go out there, meet them and talk to them!

pretty

Yes of course you need to tell people who cares for you and you can trust but not all the people you know who actually don't care about you...

Anonymous

It's not a mandatory thing, but it's always the best way. Keeping it to yourself does not benefit you in any way, instead, there is a possibility that it will become worse. Talk about it with someone you trust, it will definitely make you feel better, trust me.

Anonymous

I don't believe that you have to tell people that you are depressed since it is a very personal matter and depends on the person. However telling someone may help a lot to relieve the feelings and get any help that the person may need.

EthanJay

Sometimes, it can be felt but this requires an empathic soul on the other side. Other times it's like yelling in the dark, our instincts kick in and make us scream to the top of our lungs to be heard.

AHearingHeart

Yes, you should let someone you can trust know..especially someone professional... there is help out there and it WILL get better!

Anonymous

not always instead it actually depends upon situation in which if this makes them feel they arent alone human that is depressed then its fine

Jabrto

Depression, while it does affect your daily life and interactions with doesn't mean everyone around you needs to know. Unless people are in a position to help/support you, it really is not their business to know. If you want to tell people, that is up to your personal judgement. You are, however, not under any obligation to need to tell people.

AwkwardButterfly

If you want to get help for it, yes. I asked myself that same question for over 2 years before I decided to tell someone,and once I did my whole life just turned around. I hope this helps! xx

Harvey4you91

From my point of view, i say talking with others about depressing thoughts, might help solved it and moving on.

Anonymous

Yes and No. Of course tell it to people you are comfortable with, to your family and closest friends, your therapist too, but not to other people because they might not understand you they might take that as if it is not a severe problem and it might make everything a lot worse than it is.

sailorm00n

You will have to tell your doctor and any other health practitioner if you are seeking medication or are on medication, beyond that, it's up to you if you think someone needs to know.

keepbreathing

Only if you are comfortable telling people, if you are not or do not trust the person enough then no you don't have any obligation to disclose that if you don't want to

FrancescaGabrielle

If you are not receiving the help and support you think you need, then you should tell someone how you are feeling. It sounds dumb, but talking to someone really can help. If you're feeling unexplainable sadness or having thoughts of harming yourself or others, please talk to someone! There is nothing weak or shameful about admitting you need help. However, if you're referring to just telling random people you're depressed after already receiving the help you need, no... you don't need to tell anyone unless you want to. Experiencing depression is extremely personal. You don't have to share what you're going through with anyone unless you want to.

iWarrior

You don't need to tell anyone anything that you don't want to, but it's good that you let others know that you need help. They can provide you with resources.

MonkeyMel

Yes, it is very important to seek help. Remember you're not alone! There are a lot of people you'd gladly give you a hand.

lavendersilk

It would probably be good to do that. I would suggest only telling people you trust, like a close friend or a parent. If things get too bad, then you should tell someone so you can get help. It's not necessarily a have to thing, but it's just so somebody has an idea.

Pandette

Do you feel comfortable telling people that you are depressed? The answer to this is based on what you feel. Sometimes telling people can be really beneficial as it can help build a support group to help you get through whatever has caused you to become depressed in the first place. Remember, some people may not always react the way you want them to, and that is okay. If you ever need someone to speak to, I'm here to listen. I know what depression is like and I can tell you that things do get better.

kittykat

That's all up to you! You don't have to do anything that you don't want to, and the decision to share your personal struggles with depression is just that -- personal. That said, seeking support for depression is an essential component for recovery. Whether you're reaching out to a mental health professional or getting community support online or in real life, having other people keeps you from feeling overwhelming isolation. And if you believe the people in your life will understand, you can share your struggles with them so that they understand where you're coming from and what you need from them.

Sonney

No you don't need to tell anyone. If you want to tell your friends or your family you can but you're not forced to. I would recommend you to talk to your parents but you don't need to tell everybody.

Anonymous

If you have someone close to you, a family member, friend or partner, that you feel you can confide in, then perhaps it would benefit you to let them know what you're going through. Chances are they can help you, and if not, don't be discouraged to seek help from others.

Anonymous

No. Not necessarily. It may come as a comfort if you have someone checking in on you. But you have no obligation to tell anyone if you don't want to.

zconnorg

You should never feel like you have to tell anyone that you're depressed but it certainly can be healthy to express yourself to people you trust. Parents, close-relatives, or maybe best friends can be good people to tell about your depression. Keeping your depression to yourself can be unhealthy in that it can make it worse and make you feel like you are alone when in fact you have people out there that will help and support you.

RaduMemete

If you will have your leg broken, would you tell it to your friends and doctor ? Mental illness is like every illness and it deserves attention, take action and go show yourself because this is the start for a change ! :)

Asparagus515

Telling people that you are depressed is extremely helpful. It takes some of the burden off your shoulders. Plus you can just tell someone, "Hey, I'm feeling too depressed today to do _____" which can be very comforting. The people who love you may be surprised or hurt that you're suffering but it should help you (and even them) in the long run!

Anonymous

If you feel comfortable talking about it then yes or if its really bad. If you think it would help then i would recommend it.

Anonymous

Only if you want to, nobody can actually MAKE you talk. Still it's highly recommended to talk to someone about depression and issues with mental health. It's necessary in almost every case and an important step to take towards healing. Anyway, if someone asks you about being depressed, you can keep it to yourself if you want to. I told my friends after I had gone through therapy.

Imransheikh

If you think that it might help you then you can but not everyone as everyone will not listen to you and in this way you might feel uncomfortable.

Bikki

You don't need to share anything with the world you don't want to. But it's important to acknowledge depression in yourself and seek the help you deserve to get better

TropicalSeas91

You don't need to tell everyone if you don't feel it would benefit you to tell them, It is however beneficial to be able to talk to people and distract yourself when you feel you need to.

Anonymous

i think it is important to tell it someone who's near to you. but otherwise people doesn't have to know this. if you have someone to talk to. ho knows how u realy feel behind the mask we put on

Anonymous

Do it if you trust them, most people will want to help you if that's the case. Also remeber that seeking professional mental health care can always help. Best wishes!

StrangerLendingSmiles

Yes why not... sometimes its better to tell things to an unknown rather than telling it to someone known..I've read it somewhere that some books and some friends can cause you wonders.. keep up to that.. and its okay to tell.. nothing to be ashamed off... good luck :)

Pieta

Of course not! It may be helpful to share your thoughts and feelings with special people whom you trust and who could help you overcome the depression, but there is no need to go around and tell everybody.

psychologylove94

We all go through spells of feeling down, but when you're depressed you feel persistently sad for weeks or months, rather than just a few days. Some people still think that depression is trivial and not a genuine health condition. They're wrong. Depression is a real illness with real symptoms, and it's not a sign of weakness or something you can "snap out of" by "pulling yourself together". The good news is that with the right treatment and support, most people can make a full recovery. Many people with depression benefit by making lifestyle changes such as getting more exercise, cutting down on alcohol and eating more healthily. Self-help measures such as reading a self-help book or joining a support group are also worthwhile.

Recent Answers
peacefulHug92

That decision is up for you to decide, however if I were in your shoes I'd want at least some people to know. Depression can be very isolating and lonely, but when people around you know your struggling and support you, it can make it that little bit easier ❤

courteousSky479

I think about suicide a lot and I don’t know what to do. Last year I told my closest friend how I felt and she told everyone, including my mom so I went to counseling and lied and lied about how I felt just because I hated how people treated me when they thought I was suicidal. I do not want to tell anyone. I am 13 so can I make it go away by myself? Do I absolutely have to get help??

Anonymous

Telling people that you are depressed doesn't necessarily brings you out of depression. You could go into it more if you start feeling that they don't care for you. The first and major step has always to be taken by you. You have realized what's wrong with you and you are the best person to decide how you have to get it done correctly.

dudekorpf

well not really, you can tell it to people that are supportive and are close to you so they can help you but you don't need to make it public

cuddlyKitty77

yes without saying something people will never know you must always ask for help your not bothering them

fancyLake23

It certainly is preferable but not necessary. Its hard for people to understand others emotions especially when someone is depressed, it makes it even more difficult.Depressed people maybe living a normal life as like anyone but the only difference is they become emotionless, so it would be advisable for them to stay with someone they like more, know more, spend time more, so that it becomes easy for the other person to notice the change in the mood/behaviour/reaction of this individual in response to anything, and do their best to help the depressed person get back to normal.

resourcefulLove83

You don't need to tell anyone about your mental health other than health professionals that are treating you. That's it. They're the only ones. You may *decide* to tell other people. Sometimes it helps to have a support group. You may decide not to share with others because there is a certain social stigma that comes with depression, despite that fact that millions of people are living with it every day. So tell a few people you trust. Or don't. It's up to you. Because it's your mind, and your health.

beautifulOcean

If you feel the need to tell people around you, that it would help you to get better, then yes. Assuming you're already getting help, in regards of talking to friends about it, that's a personal decision that just depends on how comfortable you are. I found it was very useful to talk about my depression since my friends found ways to help me if I ever did fall back into it. All personal preference :)

heavenlyTime56

Only you can answer this question But in my humble opinion if depression is affecting your relantionships or you productivity then you need to tell people around you so they can understand and better help you

Huggies

If you really need help, you shouldn't suffer in silence. Suffering in silence is not an option. But it isn't required to tell all people, just tell people you trust. They can try to find help for you, it will take all the stress off and make you feel better. It can make your life easier with help!

StayStrongNeverLoseHope

It's no ones business to know if you're depressed or not. It's completely up to you who you speak to, you should only talk to people that you trust and feel you need to about what you are going through. Letting someone know that you are depressed can be useful for you as it can get you further support for it and it may be able to let you release some of the feelings that you are going through. But it is totally up to you if you want to tell someone and who you tell :)

TheGreyFixer

No, you have no requirement or responsibility to tell people that. It's your own personal business, and you have the right to withhold that information. However, if you have someone close to you, it might help your situation to tell them; that way they can be aware of your needs and help you when you need it. Sometimes it's very comforting to have someone around who knows these things.

peacelovemusic03

Absolutely not. You should never have to divulge your inner feelings. If you feel very comfortable- you can if you want. If anyone ever makes you feel like you have to tell them- you have a right to tell them to back off.

BloodiedClaws

Yeah, probably. It's not the best idea to keep that stuff from people who can get you professional help. Therapists are a bit better than binge eating and talking to the deer-dragon with cherry blossoms on it's wings inside your head about the futility of the human race.

Rorschak

You don't need to tell people that you're depressed.. If you feel as though it is important and relavent, then feel free to do so

KintsugiLady

If you don't want to, no. Not at all. It's true that, if it affects your regular life, there may come a moment where not telling may make people wonder what's going on, but it's your call to share or not. It's your soul you're sharing, and you can't be forced to do it. By all means, though, if you want to, do not feel force to keep it to yourself, either. Each of us needs different things at different moments, and only you can judge what those are.

EllaLoves

That is up to you, it can help when people know about it so they can be aware of triggers of signs of depressive behavior.

Anonymous

You dont NEED to unless you feel as if that is what you should do. Approach this one step at a time and if you are comfortable with talking to someone, go for it!

Anonymous

no you should talk to counselors about your depression don't talk anyone else except your parent and your counselors

LeoGirl93

Yes. I believe so. I've been depressed and talking to someone really helps. You are not alone. Remeber that.

invisiblehappiness1021

I know it's hard to come out and say but yes you do. Telling the right people can allow them to help

Anonymous

It will help you get over the feeling, most of the time. Tell people that truly care about you and that you trust. Talking about your feelings, and getting it on the table for another to see, can often help, because they can offer a fresh perspective and will have your best interests in mind.

Anonymous

It's best to talk about depression to overcome it in experience people know how to make you feel better and keep you from closing up

sereneCreature61
February 3rd, 2016 8:44pm

Only if you feel that you need the compassion of those around you. It is most definitely not required. There are lots of people who treat others with kindness and respect, and give them space regardless of their personal life. But there is nothing wrong with telling people what you feel you want them to know. It does not have to be a secret. It is not wrong to be depressed. It is part of life and part of who you are right now.

Anonymous

No, you don't need to. But, if you are open about it with people you trust, they will be better able to support you.

problemsolver01

There is NO "need" to tell it to people, You can share it with people who would understand like your family or friends or a therapist, but only if you're sure that it will help you overcome the depression

TillyT

I think the honest answer is - You have the choice to decide. I personally people should talk openly about their depression. For a few reason. 1) It will help towards ending taboos around mental health. 2) Talking about your mental health is the healthiest step to managing its control on your life. 3) Your acknowledgement may help others identify their depression. X

CepheiStar

You definitely don't. It can be helpful to have a few trusted people in your life that know what you are going through, but it is certainly your information to give and you shouldn't feel obligated to tell anyone. One exception to this is any healthcare personel, especially if they ask you in the course of giving you new medication or treatment, as side effects could cause reactions that are dangerous to you.

Anonymous

you do not have to tell everyone. you should tell your parents if they dont know. maybe a best friend at the most

Redcat

If you need support, then yes. You should never be afraid of telling people. There's billions of people so if you're struggling why wouldn't you use that to your advantage?