I get no emotional support for my depression from my family and friends. Where can I find real support?

Jamie Sclafani , LMSW

I have an holistic approach to therapy. There is definitely not a "one size fits all" solution. Each person is unique, as is their situation.

Apple74
things are really different when your family and friends ail to support you . At this time you can look out for ways to help yourself. Join groups both online and offline to help you. Keep reading more about it and make sure you help yourself too. The real support is always when you decide to make things better for yourself.
IBelieveInYou
Here! You can find it here. You can talk to me, or other listeners, and be friends with them! It will be alright
Anonymous
You can find it here honey, in fact I can totaly understand you..My family and friends only make me feel worse by the way they looked at me or what they've told me. If you need someone to talk to don't hesitate. I'm here for you and will always be.
KendallNichole
You can definitely find real support here on 7 cups, actually! I too struggle with depression, and at times I do feel alone - coming on 7 cups and talking it out with someone who genuinely cares and wants to help and listen! But if 7 cups doesn't work out for you, that is perfectly fine! You can find a local therapist on this website: http://www.networktherapy.com/directory/find_therapist.asp?gclid=CNKNnpeOtMECFQGPaQodOqkAOA
JoshWright
Here, on 7 cups. We have many listeners, including myself, who will listen and help you with your problems.
FrenchMarbles
You should find support from 7cupsoftea, they are excellent in listening to your issues and finding out how to cope.
Anonymous
I understand how that must feel, and it can be really frustrating. The good news is, there are a lot of people waiting to help you. You can talk to any of the 7 cups listeners. & cups also has counsellors online who can help you. And I'm sure there are members in your community who do this.
Anonymous
You can find real support on 7 cups of tea. You can also find support in online friends (but I don't know about that one because I have very few online friends and they were hard to find).
loveguru
Based on the country or the area you live in there must be many organisations who are actually working for this cause. you may try to find them. Another support system you have is here. You can select any of the fine listeners here. Many if not all professionals who can actually help you to over come this problem.
Its hard for family and friends to deal with an emotional issues like depression. Often it could be because they don't know what to say or do. They aren't trained on how to handle the emotions and feelings that come along with feeling that way. The best thing you can do for yourself while helping them to understand also the best they can is to seek help or advice from a healthcare professional such as a therapist, counselor or psych doctor. Or even your own healthcare provider who can refer you to someone to help you deal with your feelings and emotions. Good Luck!
Anonymous
There are lots of forums and online places, much like 7 cups where you can get support. Teachers, peers, collegues, etc. Everyone deals with rough patches, and I'm sure if you look around, people who you would never expect can be the best support.
WeCanStruggleTogether
With my experience, when you can't find the support you need from family or friends, I found it best to try to reach a hand out to a teacher,boss, or co-worker that you trust most. Honestly, they care for you more then most realize.
Pauldaniels
If you feel that you are not receiving support from family and friends, on the issue of depression, there are groups, that are full of people who struggle from similar life problems, Emotions Anonymous is a great one. Also a therapist is always a great, non judgmental person to talk to
KaylaWright1125
You can go to 7 cups of tea for support of course! Listeners are really good at being such great friends I come here for help and to listen!
bliss1994
Try talking to a therapist and see if you're eligible for group therapy. Group therapies are people are going through similar experiences so you can for sure find support with them!
Anonymous
Here on 7 cups. We are a community of listeners and normal people just like you. The listeners can talk to you and help you through your problems.
BatWings89
December 22nd, 2015 11:22pm
First off it's awesome that you are looking for support and you deserve it. You can always come to 7 cups of tea either joining a Group Chat or talk to a listener. However friends or counselling in your every day life can help a lot. Maybe there are counselling services available in your are or you have one friend that can be of help if you open up to them one on one.
GoldenEars77
“Peace is present right here and now, in ourselves and in everything we do and see. Every breath we take, every step we take, can be filled with peace, joy, and serenity. The question is whether or not we are in touch with it. We need only to be awake, alive in the present moment.” You are peace.
Enrik96
You can either get support from a counselor or talk online to a website like 7cups with people who are willing to help.
truelove92
Family and friends seems to judge me rather than supporting me the way I need it to be. I could rely on 7 Cups of Tea wherein there will be someone out there to understand me the way I am.
AKeen
I've found the most support by creating (anonymous) social media accounts which I use to speak about my situation and connect with others in similar situations all over the world.
Lindsey87
I've always found that speaking with someone who understands and has been through the same struggles is usually best. Depression hotlines and Support group settings are always a good option. Try reaching out to your community center to see if they have, or can direct you to, any alternate forms of support.
CatherineElise
You can find support here at 7 Cups of Tea.. Sometimes it's hard to talk about your health problems with people you face everyday. This is a great place to start. Without judgement.
Sarita
Connect in with a mental health society in your area! Depression is very common and you will be able to meet many people who understand what you are going through.
Specialbutterfly
Talk to someone such as a doctor, or someone else close. Or, you could just come here on to 7 Cups Of Tea!
Anonymous
If your friends aren't supporting you, they mustn't be very good friends. Be around people who make you happy and who listen to your problems. There are tonnes of people who want to support you, and it starts with 7 cups. As well as all of the listeners at 7 cups, there are counselors at school or a doctor who is always willing to help.
pinecones
Come over here to 7 Cups to talk to someone anonymously, free of judgement, about your troubles. If you feel that you have depression, it is best to seek professional assistance if you can - check http://www.itsgoodtotalk.org.uk/therapists to find a therapist to help you, or talk to your GP about psychiatric assistance.
emergeintolight
Everyone here on 7 Cups of Tea supports you. You can also find support within other trusted adults, such as a counselor or a therapist. There are many support groups too, online and in person.
elizabethdarling
You can find support on here at 7cups! We would all love to support you! Also, in real life you would be able to find some people as well, even if they are not you current friends!
msltoe
Professionals such as therapists can provide real ongoing support. Also, previous/current sufferers are more likely to validate rather than contradict what you are feeling.