How can I deal with feelings I can't find words to express?

318 Answers.
★ This question about Managing Emotions was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.
Top Rated Answer
PriscilaOrellana
No everybody express the feelings with words, you have to find the best way for you no matter what is it... you have to find how express yourself in the way you feel amazing with what you're doing.
Newest Answer
Anonymous
Feelings can also be expressed by composing music or drawing pictures or dancing or other forms of art. Exercise can also help get rid of energy and consequently feelings too. Exercise causes an increase in the neurotransmitter (brain chemical) serotonin, which stabilizes mood.

Take our free test to better understand yourself and Managing Emotions

Take this emotional wellness test! Less than 2 minutes.
emmynems
For me, when I have a hard time expressing exactly what I'm feeling, I try and talk around the situation in general. I try and figure what's making me feel the way I do, whether I have a word for what I'm feeling or not. It helps you identify your problem, and it's a good way to reason out your feelings.
n3verg1veUp
I'm not the type to express my emotions in person because I'm always worried about offending and/or hurting the person. Therefore, I find it really difficult to say words that are on my mind. Recently, I decided to write my thoughts on a journal and my friend often suggested that even when I'm afraid, it's best to be honest to the person and tell him/her what bothers me, especially if that individual is important to me. I would like to point out that the words we want to say to someone never comes out the exact same way. But at the end of the day, what matters is the fact that you can step up and be honest to the person you care about. I would strongly suggest not to think ahead of time and just go with the flow.
Anonymous
Act as you feel and then youll find right words. Act as you feel and then youll find right words; act first, think then.
EarsForYou
Looking for answers on the internet...we've all been there. I just want you to know you don't have to figure this out on your own. I know this might not be something you want to discuss with your friends or family, but if you join this site you can get free, anonymous support from trained listeners and a huge support community. Nobody is here to judge.
javalent
You don't always need to express your feelings with words. Based on my own experience, when I want to deal with feelings which has made me speechless I'd express them physically. Either it's exercising, singing, dancing, or eating. Somewhere in the middle of it I'll finally comprehend what I'm really feeling.
RaduMemete
Take a sheet of paper or start a diary. Every time you feel worse, type down everything is in your mind, everything you feel right at the moment: thoughts, sensations, physical symptoms. You will be able to understand more clearly what is going on in your mind when you will have it written on a paper.
mjanewatson
Expressing feelings with words can be hard sometimes. When we don't know exactly the way we feel. You don't necessarly have to put your feeings into words.
Jagannathadasa
Breathe consciously. Feel my feet on the ground. Ask myself a few questions: Is this a familiar feeling? When did I notice it? Right now, what do I need? Who do I wish was here? By asking these questions I am turning my attention to what I need and value at the moment. The feelings I experience will likely become clearer, or more managable when my basic needs are being met.
EmilijaS
Sometimes dealing with feelings is just very hard. I've had this thing that crying is the best, but only for beginning, I'd say. NEVER, ever keep it for yourself please. Try to write your problems, don't find the right words, but write something very random just to put it on paper, as you write the right words will come. Hug someone. People know that when you don't have words to express your sadness you only hug them and they instantly know to say ''Are you better?'' and you will feel save and secure. You don't need to talk, because when you ask for help and talk with someone and you really don't know what is happening and how to explain it, you will be asked question that will bring the right words and picture of the event.
SrtaStonem9
You can try to find an alternative activity, such as drawing, or music, sometimes we can find help in these things I think.
MissionPossible
I spent my whole life trying to articulate what I was feeling. Thus, I read books, watched films, researched numerous articles, and talked to many people to see how others expressed themselves. I learned something in the process; they all learned to use language to their advantage and had a high level of self-awareness.
Anonymous
I understand sometimes you come across a vast number of feelings and emotions at the same time and it can seem hard to put it into words. What usually helps me is journaling them or writing them down [maybe as a letter that you can share with the person concerned].
Apple74
Such feelings remain hidden in your sub conscious mind. They start to affect your day to day life and you feel anger/hatred/fear and other emotions even when situation does not require you to act in this way. Always ask your self why you feel this way, what do you want at the moment, what can help you right now and what will make it worse. Look inside and keep looking for answers. Express yourself through sports, art, etc.
jennynenny143
Try writing them down. Weather it's a letter to yourself, a blog, or an unsaved document in Microsoft Word... Taking the time to fully express your feelings to yourself can leave you feeling at ease.
Anonymous
Sometimes the best way to express your feelings it through something other than words. For example, drawing or listening to music.
peachicus
If you struggle dealing with these emotions try writing how you feel or write about the situation that gives you these emotions it may help you understand them better :)
PeaceTrain
Try to find the right people to talk with. Well, don't go talking about them to just anybody, but talking with listeners at 7 Cups of Tea will probably help you in such situations.
jennimarie
There are many different ways to express your feelings. I often express my feelings through impromptu dancing or painting. Often if i need to identify my feelings ill go spend time in nature and clear my head from lifes everyday turmoil.
Anonymous
Try writing them down, writing always helped me. Put yourself into another person (someone fake's) shoes. Use them to tell your story, your feelings will eventually come out through the words you've written.
Alouette
You may need to look for the source of these feelings. When did they seem to begin?
Anonymous
Find other ways to express these feelings. Music, art, and drama are all very common and effective ways of doing so.
Seremonia
Try to catch the image of it, then play with it, and say it with images and describe it like a scenario. Soon, you and them could catch a little bit closer to the feeling behind it.
Anonymous
I find art or physical activity to be helpful. Drawing can convey such powerful thoughts and emotions without ever having to say a word.
Anonymous
a lot of people paint or do other arts to express themselves. i have found that writing slam poetry has really helped me express things that i normally can't. some of my friends paint to do that
Anonymous
Other mediums exist which may be more suitable to help you express more complicated feelings. The arts (such as painting, drawing, sculpture, etc.) are often useful, as is music and its composition.
WalkingInTheValley
Sometimes art can be a great outlet! You don't necessarily have to be artistic either; just making big slashes of colour or using stick figures can be very therapeutic. Otherwise, exercise can be a great way to relieve a build up of emotion!
iamjess
Draw them on paper or find pictures that explain how you feel then make a collage, scrapbook, wall decor etc. of them all.
laladychan
Você pode usar algum outro talento. Tente os desenhos, os poemas e poesias, ou até mesmo aquela letra de música que tanto combina com o que você sente.
Mayaisthename
That's always really hard to do,you should never have to deal with them, get help so you feel better
chanelsdaisy
let them out, tell them someone, maybe they find words. Accept them, accept that your body can have feelings sometimes, that you cant understand. you are not alone with it.
Anggi
I think you can deal with these feelings by expressing them through creative mediums such as painting, making music, drawing, doodling, etc. If you don't feel arty then you can still try to do those things, how your artwork look at the end isn't the main point it's the emotion and feelings that you put into it that really matter. And hey if all else fails you can always cry :)
StraightforwardNectarine21
find a way to express them through actions, writing a book, playing consoles or buying clothes online.
LightACandle
Sometimes, I find that writing a letter to someone about it helps. It can even be to myself. It doesn't have to be sent to someone but I think when you arrange your thoughts to talk about an emotion, you also understand it better. And sometimes learn to manage it better.
MadilynRose
As hard as it might be, it's super important to identify your feelings before you try to deal with them! Then you're not trying to aid sadness with help for fear.
Anonymous
you can write it on a piece of paper and then rip it apart that way you can throw away all of those unwanted feelings
ravenraven
A lot of people often say they are sad, when really they are actually feeling lonely, or empty, or even just apathetic. For those that find it hard to describe their feelings, it may be best to note feelings that you are not having. For instance, I may know that I am mad, but a better way to narrow that down would be to ask questions like: "Why I am I feeling so angry? Am I jealous of the person that got the promotion instead of me? Am I bitter that my friends didn't invite me? Am I feeling down because I didn't do well on my test?" Asking a lot of "why-oriented" questions helps to narrow down our feelings to a point where it's easier to identify them.
Gypsycircles
I keep a journal. I just start writing about whats bothering me, over and over until I feel better. Then I look back and I'm usually able to see a pattern in my emotions. More often then not, I'll state my problem in a few different ways, and from that, I'm able to find the words to what I'm feeling.
Anonymous
You can express your feelings in a healthy way through art or music. You can create a visual representation of your feelings. For example, staging scenes and photographing them, drawing and painting, or creating sculptures. There are limitless ways to express yourself through art.
BlazingEssencE
There is no perfect answer for that. One of the way is to meditate on it. Take yourself to a quiet place where no one will disturb you. It could be a park even with natural ambiance. Then think about it, introspect, do it on daily basis if need be. The problem will unfold itself and you will find that you don't need to solve it, finding the truth behind it brings peace.
Anonymous
Draw a picture! Art is a great and fun way of expressing yourself. You can try any sort of art style too! Sculpture, abstract, even cubism it all works. Try a few and see if art works as a form of expression for you :)
IronWolf12
Start small. Begin by describing the event in detail and how each part made you feel. If you can't identify your emotion, try filling in the blank with one emotion at a time until the emotion feels correct.
theknight1
يمكنني التعامل مع المشاعر بصورة دائما , كوني اعلم إنها تنبع من حاجات داخلية للأنسان , و أحاول دائما مشاركة مشاعري مع أصدقائي المقربين الذين اثق بهم جيدا ..
Anonymous
Words are only one way of expressing feelings. You can be creative and draw and paint, or play an instrument to give a sound to your inner voice.
Anonymous
Anyway you want! Scribble on a piece of paper. Draw. Listen to music that you feel you relate to. Make music of your own. Scream into a pillow. Engage in physical activity. There are a lot of ways to deal with feelings without words just by using positive coping skills like the ones mentioned above.
MegEliza
When I have feelings I can't find words to express, I use art and photography to help me express them. Paintings, drawings, or even creative pictures, can express emotions and feelings without using words!
fixyou
You can paint them, you can sing them, you can use them as a creative fuel and express them in any other way rather than words.
kittykat
Sometimes it's hard to identify feelings in words, which can make it difficult to communicate them, which in turn can cause frustration. When you're having trouble identifying your own emotions, it sometimes helps to think of yourself as a current, and the emotion as the charge running through it. Let yourself feel it and let it pass through you like an electrical current. And if this is difficult and you feel like you need verbal emotional support, you can browse support groups and forums to see if you can find anyone experiencing similar situations and feelings to yours. 7 Cups has some great forums to peruse!
Anonymous
This can be hard and frustrating!! I have found that sometimes doing artwork, such as painting, can help us express what we cannot verbally describe. Also, I like to find songs that have lyrics similar to what I'm feeling because I tend to see those as explaining things better than I can in that moment.
MontyMaverick41
Find a way to express them which does not require words. Keeping them inside would do you more harm than good. And also words sometimes tend to spoil the actual feelings, expressing them non-verbally might prove a boon to your soul. :)
Anonymous
Try to find out why you might feel this way, what has happened lately and how that should have made you feel. Drawing might help a lot to and listening to calming music. Talk to somebody, even though you might not get a solution but this will make you feel better and lift your mood.
xxaspietransstephxx
Write them down may help also you could type them out to someone online like on 7 cups of tea and talk to a listener
cheerfulcat15
Try to find people who have the same feelings. Having people to relate to can be really helpful in a situation like this one. Discussion about your feelings can make you feel better in many cases.
Anonymous
I talk to people and tell them that I'm finding it difficult to express myself and then I would write a poem, with words around my feelings
EricaAnne
March 2nd, 2017 8:05am
Draw something that helps you describe your emotions in a way you understand. If you can't get it out on writing, getting your feelings down on paper makes it a lot easier for you to understand yourself and put your feelings in perspective. Be creative!
Leenient
March 22nd, 2017 5:50am
Try writing your feelings down on a piece of paper or anything where you can write them down. Try to describe what it is, how it feels, what makes you feel that way, why do you feel that way, what you think of the feeling and what to do about the feeling. This will help you to understand your feelings and articulate them better.
Recent Answers
BubbleMJ
Speak to a professional and use any words that come to mind to try and express how you feel. It may be difficult but they are professionally trained to understand people from a few words.
puppylover420
Try to express it in another way. People use multitudes of ways to express their feelings and emotions. For example: Writing, Art, Music and dance. I find writing very useful for venting my own feelings. Hope i helped!
marvelousBlossom86
Maybe instead of expressing it through words, you can try expressing it through action (such as hugging people you love) or by expressing yourself through art (dance, music, etc,).
ingeniousPeace79
Be more patient with them. There are easy feelings, small feelings, easy to spot. But there are also complex ones. Harder to spot, to shape. Time required is proportional. More time with more complex feelings. You need to be aware of the feeling, and stay with it. Listening to it. Patiently. Wait for it to express. It will. Eventually. It will use your mind to show you pictures, scenes, all kinds of stuff. And the picture will become clearer with time. And, after clarity comes, you will be at another level. Understood complex feelings gives you or makes you very rich. One way or another.
Anonymous
Find a song, write poetry, make art, do something creative, and let all of your inhibitions go for the sake of feeling good.
Zee2002
Ah, that's really hard. First off, it's really important to understand that even if you can't put words to how you're feeling, it's still really valid. In other words, what you're feeling is real, no matter what. In terms of dealing with it, I have a rather frustrating answer, it takes time, to let those feelings simmer and for you to explore them. It's hard, I'll admit that, but just give it time and try not to get frustrated with yourself.
BooksHugsandTea6370
This is tough, I agree. One thing is to try to let yourself off the hook - like don't beat yourself up for not having the word you want. Something that could help is to write like a journal style if you like that. Something to more directly deal with these unnamed feelings could be to draw, color, markers, paint ... sometimes colors help. With paint or crayons you can mix the colors too and that may provide some clarity as to what you are feeling. Mixing provides clarity??? Yeah, I know. Maybe just try it?
BlueWin9
February 2nd, 2017 10:59am
I like to draw and write. Doing those activities really helps me express myself! Writing allows me to write my characters in the situation so I can understand my own feelings better and my drawings are like a visual representation. I find these activities really help!
Supergirl94
Let yourself feel them. I know it can be infuriating with not knowing how to express them much less put them into words for others to understand. But be honest with yourself and others, that it is okay to not know how to express what you feel but that you simply feel it. That in time you will find a way to express it or to get past this emotion that is plaguing you
1musicloverever
Sometimes crying helps, or going outside and running. I do that, when my day is crazy and I don't know what to do or how to feel, I go running. I run until I feel better or all the craziness has stopped and I can think straight about the whole thing. Taking time to just not care about what is going on and centering yourself to think about it later helps.
rinkuandriku
Find another medium to express the feeling you can't speak out. Art is a really good place to start, by simply just writing out whatever you can to describe how you feel or express the emotion in a painting or drawing. Music is also an option as well.
Anonymous
There are many different ways to express your feelings. Sometimes there are feelings that you cannot necessarily express through your own words. Are you artistic? Athletic? Many people deal with their feelings through (healthy) exercise, artwork, dancing, music, etc. for example. In this way, you are not only acknowledging your underlying feelings but you are actively releasing any negative energy that you have pent up.
softNutella25
December 22nd, 2016 1:22am
If you have a hard time expressing your feelings with words, try drawing! Everyone is different; some people can write out their feelings, while other take a more artsy approach (i.e., drawing, sketching, painting, etc.). See how it works!
Galina
Start with one word. If you could name that feeling in 1 word, what would that word be? Then try to use this word in a pair or words, then in a sentence. At times being able to name the scary feeling, makes this feeling less strong and brings about a degree of relief. It could be a starting point towards change.
Anonymous
writing your feeling down in a poem or essay is helpful. also drawing a cartoon picture of yourself and writing words and feelings all around this is also helpful. it's a great way for you to let your feelings out, and it's also a great way for friends and family to understand how you are feeling
Anonymous
We don't need to name everything, sometimes feelings are confusing and overwhelming and there's no way to name them. Just feel them, and be there for yourselve.
sophiasapientiae
I've found that putting all your emotions in your hobbies/passions really helps. Since I love music, belting out a song helps me level my emotions!
whiteroserachel
Start with what you can express, and you'll often find that the things you feel that way about find a way to follow. Just talking about yourself can open up a gateway into those kind of feelings.
ablessing
Sit by yourself for a while and think them through. Try writing them down, or maybe drawing/painting them "out"?
Rosiexx
Try to express them through other means like art or music. Or do something (not harming yourself in any way) that would make you feel better in the moment. Maybe ask someone to sit by you, cry, or crawl under the covers. If you find yourself dwelling on feelings for long periods of time that the emotions seem overwhelming and last forever, try mindfulness meditation, and afterwards when you feel calmer, divert your attention away from your emotions by doing something to distract yourself~
TheRealMadison
The best way is to find a trusted person to listen, and do your best to explain it! Not aall the right wrods will come out, but itll feel good to get it out the best you can!
Nekas20
Try to deal with those feelings through art (paintings, drawings) or quotes of songs, writers or anyone else. Quotes seems to be one of the best ways since others seem to express what we feel and we aren't able to express.
ihaynes13
sometimes talking isnt easy but you can find other ways to express how you are feeling thorough art, music and other mediums.
Anonymous
I need to exercise and distract myself and run and yell and do smth enjoyable to be able to deal with the feeling I cannot find words to express
healwithlove
Make a drawing, even if is only colorful lines or monochrome doodles. If still you cannot tell, sometimes listening songs, help, others might put in words what you feel.
MakikiSummer
September 22nd, 2016 8:02am
If it is something I am happy about I will laugh it out. If it is something troubling or sad, I will try smile anyways cause remaining positive is important.
Elta
I find that once I take time to reflect upon the situation that I can later identify the emotions that are at hand. It's important to be able to name them, or be aware of them, because then you can deal with them. If they remain nameless or unknown, you will have trouble dealing with the feelings that are overwhelming. Once they are known, you can then let go of fear and let the emotions run their course. Do this in a safe place. Intensity can only be high for so long, thus it's important to let the emotions come and then pass. This is how we deal with feelings. :)
Anonymous
It's quite tricky to deal with a whirlwind of emotions when we don't even know where they're coming from or what they even mean. One tool I've found helpful is to sit down with a pen and paper, take a deep breath, and start writing down whatever comes to mind. After you begin to feel a little more calm, read what you wrote. It may begin to make a little sense and you can begin dealing with your overwhelming feelings.
heretolisten16
As cheesy as it may sound the notion that actions speak louder then words is often true. When we feel things beyond our vocabulary our gestures speak for us. When we feel love or appreciation we do nice things for those who brought us to feel so happy. When we feel anger and sadness we close people off and sit silently or act out loudly in our actions. In order to deal with these feelings if good just express them with smiles, gifts of gratitude, and kindness. If these feelings are that of pain it's best to express them by calming the situation with simple activities or hobbies that keep us calm, coloring books, tv, reading, sports, writing, etc.