How to know if your gay or bi or pan?

Deane Rain Marie, LMFT

I take a holistic approach in working with eating disorders, mood disorders, relationships, and the LGBTQ community. I use EMDR, Dreamwork, Stories, CBT and Cinema therapy.

tattooedSunshine
Well, from my own experience, I struggled to figure out my sexual identity starting in fourth grade. I could feel this attraction to boys but I also caught myself staring at girls as well. It was hard to understand without any people like me to help so I did my research. I dug through the internet to look up things, I asked around in forums and around middle school, I even searched porn to figure out what I was attracted to. I experimented with my feelings, joined the LGBTQ club in school and found a support group. It was finally at the beginning of high school when I figured out I was Pansexual/Queer (I use the terms interchangeably). The biggest thing I can tell you is sexuality is not a straight line or even a circle; it's an entire spectrum. The only way to find out is to question. Take your time to explore, research everywhere (books, internet, ask questions, media), and understand that you don't need to "label" yourself with something. I say I'm pansexual because I am sexually attracted to all genders (cisgender males/females, trans men/women, nonbinary, genderqueer, etc.) but I also use the term Queer as an umbrella term since my sexuality shifts. I hope my advice helps you.