I have social anxiety and tend to avoid communicating . So many people misunderstand and dislike me . What do I do? I find it challenging to express myself.

Hannah Caradonna, MSW, RCSW (RCC #11330)

Social Worker

I offer a warm and non-judgmental space for you to work through your problems. I can help you with anxiety, disordered eating, depression, relationship problems and more.

Anonymous
This is a really good question. Something that has helped me when I need to communicate, is to laugh a little and just admit to the person "I get really anxious talking to people." When it is genuine, people are more forgiving/accommodating and this makes you more likeable. If you ever get stuck with what to say, people generally LOVE talking about themselves-ask them a question while you regulate your anxiety. *Side note on you feeling like people dislike you: I have never in my life met a person I did not like. Best of luck! Thank you!
Anonymous
Social Anxiety is difficult to deal with because it affects one of our main means of communication. It would be hard to convey that you are not good with being social because of your anxiety and the behaviour that you exhibit might be misunderstood by people and cause some to dislike you because they might for example think you're being proud or closed off. However, it would help to first talk to people you're comfortable talking to. Even better if you can discuss your social anxiety with them. As you speak to people you're comfortable with, it might help you get the hang of socialising.
Anonymous
February 1st, 2022 6:19pm
I totally understand. I often feel misunderstood and disliked too. I have to look at the whole situation, and ask myself if others are really thinking those things, or if I am thinking those things. I find if I hang out with those that understand me, that I feel more accepted even when I don'[t communicate much. It is a hard balance to find. I find that I tend to listen more than I talk. I tell myself that I am worth something and my opinion matters to others. I have found confidence in myself and this seems to help me not worry about what others think.
Talk to an expert therapist about social anxiety
Talk to a Therapist