Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Is it strange to joke about how I will not receive any life insurance if my bf/father my of child dies?

User Profile: whatthehell
whatthehell January 15th, 2021

I’m not super upset about it. But it’s got me wondering if I have a right to be kind of annoyed by this or if i am being entitled. So we’ve been together for 8 years but don’t have plans to get married. I actually went to his parents wedding years ago, they have been together for 40 years! I don’t want anything to happen to my boyfriend. But just knowing he wouldn’t leave me any of his life insurance if he randomly passed away is disheartening. Not because I want to live off of it, but I don’t know where I’d even live. He has it set up so his 2 daughters (one is mine) would get their half when they are 18. Great! But what about the 14 years until then? Idk. I feel so strange being annoyed by this. Like, I already knew the situation with it - but I don’t think it’s a joking situation. It’s not that I’m not self sufficient at all, but he’s 33 with a life insurance policy so at the moment, it’s for unexpected situations. I guess I’m just sensitive right now because the pandemic has stripped me of my savings. Thinking catastrophic like if he got into an awful accident tomorrow, the girls and I would be *** financially, couldn’t afford the house, on top of a devastating loss.

1
User Profile: juliak1968
juliak1968 January 16th, 2021

@whatthehell

Hi do the daughters live with you and him? I understand your delema, its good that your thinking of the future and want to find a way to be secure. In many states when a couple unmarried lives together for 6-8 years, they can be considered common law as a married couple. You might be able to take control in the courts if God forbid something happens to him. Try not to worry!

Blessings, Day