Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Trichotillomania

User Profile: teek
teek March 16th, 2015

I have had trichotillomania since I was in 8th grade (8 years ago) and I just don't know what triggered it. I would not consider myself a severe case as some, but it is definitely noticeable at how frequently I do it. Sometimes I realize that I do it, but not always. Thankfully, some of my family and friends know that I do this, and remind to stop when they notice I am pulling. I've tried wearing my hair up often, and other little distractions but no matter what I always go back to doing it; consciously or unconsciously. I don't know if it is possible for it to ever go away...but I haven't met anyone else who has trich. Just wondering if there are other ways to help with it. Thanks!

18
User Profile: pluckyBlackberry8211
pluckyBlackberry8211 March 16th, 2015

When I feel mine acting up, I wear waterproof mascara (hard to get it off my fingers) or my glasses. I only rarely go after my hair (I'm an eyelash person), but the few times I did, I tried wearing a hat wherever I could.

1 reply
User Profile: teek
teek OP March 16th, 2015

Thank you :)

Hats could definitely be helpful too

load more
User Profile: bestTruth96
bestTruth96 March 16th, 2015

@teek I worked with some pateints in treatment who suffered from this. Have you tried things that keep you hands busy? Stress ball? Journaling? Puzzles?

4 replies
User Profile: teek
teek OP March 16th, 2015

If I didn't have cats, I could try puzzles ;)

I do a lot of reading and writing too.

I have not tried a stress ball / worry stone, I think those could be worth a shot!

Thank you :)

3 replies
User Profile: freefromjudgment
freefromjudgment April 16th, 2015

Awww I want a cat *-* s/he could be my fluffycompanion when I'm lonely. Do the cats help your mental health issues?

2 replies
User Profile: teek
teek OP March 19th, 2016

@freefromjudgment cats definitely help. I had never had a cat before until I moved out and was diagnosed about a year later with depression because I lived alone in a new town and it was awful and definitely a trigger there. Anyway, I got a cat and it was the best decision of my life. I couldn't imagine my life without them. Plus there are so many benefits from having cats (and other animals too), but i certainly would recommend a cat:)

User Profile: TheAdmirableCreatureAmanda
TheAdmirableCreatureAmanda October 22nd, 2016

@freefromjudgment

you asked if cats help with mental health disorders?

Ok so breif story, two years ago my anxiety & depression decided to suddenly skyrocket... I spent about 4 or 5 months in hell, i was beginning to think that i was going to have to quit college and head back home... nothing was helping, not medication, not therapy, not friends... I was not doing well. And then came Abby, she crawled into my life and from that day onwards, I went from 3 to 4 anxiety/panic attacks a week to prehaps one every 2 to 3 months. My cat saved my life, in so many ways, she brings more joy and love into my life then I could ever possibly relate.

I am of the opinion that any kind of animal can help with mental health, they are just so calming and caring and wonderful... I am going to go snuggle with my cat now.

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: JeComprends
JeComprends March 16th, 2015

I've been dealing withtrichfor approximately 10 years now. (I also suffer fromdermatillomania, skin picking.)When it comes to trich, I'm predominantly an eyelash person, and I find wearing false eyelashes the best solution to that since they help make me look "normal" and keep me from pulling.Although I do not pull hair from my scalpusually, that is the place I most often pick the skin of, and I find the best thing to do is wearing a hat or pulling the hair back because it makes it more difficult. It is extremely troublesome when this is generally a subconscious act, so it's great that you have people to catch you when you don't realize that you're doing it.I've found another helpful trick is to wear fake nails because they make it a bit more difficult to pull and pick. A manicure/nail polish in general though are useful because pulling and picking often leads to chipping the nails which you don't want to ruin. Keeping the hands busy is another great tip. All of these suggestions are predominantly for when you pull consciously though. I have experiences going to bed with eyelashes and waking up with almost none, so knowing that I sometimes do this in my sleep, particularly when I know that I am stressed, sleeping with a pair of socks or gloves on can help too.

1 reply
User Profile: teek
teek OP March 16th, 2015

I love your idea of the manicure. I have never gotten one, but have liked them. I honestly think that is something I will try.

Thank you so much!

Best wishes :)

load more
User Profile: orangeShade5138
orangeShade5138 April 10th, 2015

I have trich as well, and for some reason what I need is the "satisfaction" of pulling out the hair. The best alternative I've found is popping the bubbles on bubble wrap. Also I find that squishy balls with tentacles coming off of them are nice (https://www.amazon.com/Pon-Squishy-Ball-Set-12/dp/B004WH60N8). They're great to keep your hands busy and when things get bad I pull the tentacles off.

User Profile: freefromjudgment
freefromjudgment April 16th, 2015

Hi there, I have trichotillomania too. I pull from my scalp and underarms. What do I want most? The oily skin that comes with the hair! Most people I've talked to with trich love the dark roots, but I'm after the skin. It makes me feel temporarily good if I get hairs with that.

However, I am not currently scalp pulling because I shaved my head. It has helped a lot, since I don't like the texture of these soft, short hairs. It makes me sad, since I have naturally thick, wavy hair, but it's better this way. I've learned that I don't need hair on my head to feel good about my looks.

User Profile: AngelaKatrina
AngelaKatrina April 16th, 2015

My mom has had this issue all my life 30+ years now). She has a permanent bald spot and wears a plain white bandana to cover it. I have dermotillomania myself. I think being aware of the issue helps get one started on trying to combat it. My issues are worse when I am under more stress and anxiety. I have tricks I use that help. Maybe you could try wearing a bandana to limit your access to your hair or at least limit easy access so you have to think about it more before you do it.

User Profile: EmselBug123
EmselBug123 April 16th, 2015

Well done to you all for being so open and sharing your experiences. I have had trichotillomania for 25 years and really struggle to talk about it :( In more recent years i have developed dermotillomania too, it's mostly when I watch TV. I target my scalp as I have psoriasis and also my shoulders, back, thighs and backs of my arms.

User Profile: UnwrittenTale
UnwrittenTale May 21st, 2015

I have been struggling with trich for at least seven years. It's very hard to find people who understand, and my family doesn't get it or gets upset. I'm a very anxious person, so usually I rub my hair against my mouth, or spend time (usually 15 mins, sometimes as long as an hour)infront of the bathroom mirror pulling out roots from beneath my eyebrows. That happens when I'm very stressed, trapped and need a release. I am trying to work on getting it under control, and I've gotten better. I used to have only half of my eyebrows, either rubbing themor pulling them out. They are very thin right now and are growing back. A lot of times I would bleed and have scabs all over trying to dig into the skin to get ingrown hair. I didn't care if it hurt the skin, it felt good. And sometimes would pull the scabs off just for that same release. I've read it's a dopamine/serotonin thing with the follicles.

I am really into writing and sketching, but I'm holding back on those because they feel like work instead of relief. A couple months ago I was working on a portrait, but because I was angry trying to get the face just so, just perfect, it gave me a major setback. I ended up ripping out half of my right eyebrow in distress. Now I avoid doing activities like that, which I really don't want to. But because I hold myself to such high standard, I stress even thinking about starting.

Sorry if this thread is old, but I needed someone or something to reach out to.

2 replies
User Profile: teek
teek OP March 19th, 2016

@UnwrittenTale sorry I'm responding so late. I haven't been on here in so long! Anyway, I rub my hair against my mouth too with it. And when I do pull my hair, it's from underneath and it's where split ends go...so the hair there is super dry with split ends even when I get it cut. Anyway, the sound and feeling are such a release. So I understand how good that feeling is. I'm glad your eyebrows are coming back in though! Even though this was a year ago, maybe you'll stumble upon this and update:)

1 reply
User Profile: UnwrittenTale
UnwrittenTale October 19th, 2016

@teek: I forgot I had even signed up, and hardly remembered I had the courage to post! I still am struggling with it. My worst incident this year was when I tore it down to a centimeter on my left side. That was just the beginning of this month when I was going through some really intense times. Both of them are three quarters filled and still thin, but I've grown used to them that way. I still have to pencil in when I go out. Though I have progressed in that I associate it less with stress now and more as routine. I usually don't touch them until I start seeing ingrown or short hairs underneath the eyebrow, noticeable ones, and then go to town. I've figured out that if I do it more when I'm unoccupied or it just needs to be done and less out of a panic response, there is nothing to go at when I am in a state of intense emotional anguish. I'm trying to keep those sort of moments to a really good cry, the kind that comes from deep in your stomach, and let it out as it needs to. I can't help it if my stomach tends to quease though, and that's purely from dwelling too much in a negative state of feeling as if there is no feasable way things will improve and the fear and gravity tends to hit hard.

There are days when I have a few spare follicles and I'll gouge them just to douse rubbing alcohol on the open wounds. I know that probably sounds bad, but it sure beats any other method of inducing pain just to express it. I think trich for me ends up being a distraction and every hair represents a problem. Once the hair is pulled, the problem, distress or issue symbolically leaves me as well. I don't really think I'll ever stop, I think I'll just slowly continue to get better, if I can keep it going that way.

load more
load more
User Profile: Juzzabelle68
Juzzabelle68 February 24th, 2017

Isn't self control an issue? Let's be honest. How many of Us literally argue with Ourselves to pull not to pull? You can yell at the top of your lungs but you will still pull that hair! The questions is why? What is it about "that" release that gives us a temporary sence of euphoria? Over and over again, creating the addiction, creating the disorder. If there was no addiction, there'd be no disorder. So what crates the addiction? PTSD, stress, overstimulation, lack of self control, addictive personality. So now we see the cause and effect...how do we come up with a solution? Where does the discussion go from here?

1 reply
User Profile: Juzzabelle68
Juzzabelle68 February 24th, 2017

24 Years Pulling But Still ALWAYS Growing!

@Juzzabelle68

load more