Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What advice would you give someone who is struggling to kick their addiction?

User Profile: Jill7Cups
Jill7Cups November 28th, 2018

Has anything helped you? What would you say?

29
User Profile: Flowingstreams
Flowingstreams March 17th, 2020

I also would recommend joining a 12 step group and finding a sponsor as many people have recommended. I also recommend giving the term "HP" some time. In my experience, it was about my own definition, which can mean "my home group", "my trusted buddies", the universe, a super hero, a doorstop or dust bunny...universal love, etc. The meetings I went to people welcomed anyone who needed help. And there are lots of forms of addiction - people pleasing, people rescuing, food, spending, gambling, lying, alcohol, drugs, sex-addiction, love addiction, emotions anonymous, clutters anonymous, gamblers anonymous...social isolation etc. The 12 steps actually really helps with the tendency to self-isolate and helps a lot with feelings of loneliness. :)

User Profile: ShatteredSoul1014
ShatteredSoul1014 April 7th, 2020

Are there any online 12 steps programs available? Especially with this virus and self isolation happening? If anyone knows of any it would be greatly appreciated. @Flowingstreams

User Profile: Flowingstreams
Flowingstreams April 7th, 2020

@ShatteredSoul1014

Hi! Thanks for your message. There are online zoom meetings (video and audio) and also phone meetings (voice only), and also chat meetings.

I've pasted some of the online meeting information that I found below: There's a lot of helpful information in those websites about the organization on the mainpages :)

Alcoholics Anonymous meetings: https://aa-intergroup.org/directory.php (Those that identity with addiction with alcohol use.)

Narcotics Anonymous meetings: https://virtual-na.org/meetings/ (Those that identify with addiction with drug use.)

Emotions Anonymous meetings: https://emotionsanonymous.org/what-we-offer/find-a-meeting/phone-and-internet-meetings.html (Those that struggle with control of their emotions).

Codependents anonymous: https://coda.org/find-a-meeting/online-meetings/ (Those that identify with an addiction to fixing/saving/rescuing others to the point of detriment of self)

Adult Children of Alcoholics: https://adultchildren.org/resources/find-a-meeting/ (Those that identify as being children/grandchildren of parents who were alcoholics and who identify as having certain shared survival traits that negatively impact current life).

Al Anon https://al-anon.org/al-anon-meetings/ (For those that identify as being in a relationship with an Alcoholic)

Alateen https://al-anon.org/al-anon-meetings/find-an-alateen-meeting/ (for minors that identify as being in a relationship with an Alcoholic)

Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous: https://slaafws.org/onlinemeetings (For those that identify with having a sex or love addiction.) etc.

These are not exhaustive and were just some of the common sites I found. There are also clutters anonymous, overeaters anonymous, sex addicts anonymous, nicotine anonymous, hoarders anonymous, gamblers anonymous, recovering couples anonymous and more than I can list. I just googled the "addiction" and "anonymous online meeting"

Hope this is helpful! It really helped me so much with feeling less isolated and alone. One of my favorite sayings... "We can do together... what we cannot do alone!" and "We will believe in you, until you can believe in yourself!"....

Wishing you all the best!!! heart

load more
load more
User Profile: OldSerendipityBoat
OldSerendipityBoat April 7th, 2020

@Jill7Cups

Nothing helped me so I resorted to embrace my addictions and live in controlled symbiosis like Muad'dib with the Spice in Dune series books by Frank Herbert...

User Profile: resourcefulPond1641
resourcefulPond1641 April 21st, 2020

Embracing harm reduction instead of trying to quit was the only way I actually broke my physical addiction.

load more
User Profile: faithNboxerpaws
faithNboxerpaws May 29th, 2020

Sorry I'm late. But I would tell someone that's battling addiction that "it's not going to be easy but it will be worth it" abd ad I mentioned in another post being clean will only work if you want it for yourself and not to please anyone else

I really need to take my own advice. However as mentioned it's rough, withdrawal, cravings and triggers are the worst. But I do know when I stop it will be worth it.
if I can help anyone lmk. I've been clean, been thru withdrawl and relapse. I'm going thru it with u.