I want to end my addiction but I don't know how
Hi, I'm kinda new to 7cups and I came here because I wanted to end my Porn and masturbation addiction. This has been going on for 4 years, the most I resisted was 2 months and I just don't want to do it anymore. I know it's damaging my life and my relationship with God, and it hurts me. I don't know how to end it. It would be very nice if someone could give me tips to avoid temptation.
@H7PE
I can't comment about your specific issue, but in general regarding unwanted habits...
The easiest way to stop a habit might be to...
change mindset completely so the habit seems completely unacceptable and totally repulsive for some overwhelmingly important reason(s) that one decides over-rides all previous reasons one had in mind in the past. Then that might create the needed self-identiy change and motivation and willpower and reduce the desire to stop the habit until it no longer has an urge. Of course there are environment changes that could help too.
Mindfulness can help as explained in this book...
The Here-and-Now Habit - How Mindfulness Can Help You Break Unhealthy Habits Once and for All
By Hugh G. Byrne 2016
https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Here_and_Now_Habit/aVyfCwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0
The book has some great supplementary audio files
that walk a person through the questions they can ask themselves to change their mindset and deal with the habit as it is being elimnated.
Other habit books explain how to change the personal space environment to make a habit more difficult so easier to resist (books like "Tiny Habits" or "Atomic Habits").
@H7PE Hi! Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaL6MXxoEyc. It might help.
@H7PE God will not give up on you
ask God to help you through your porn addiction
don't lose your faith. stay strong.
TRIGGER WARNING!!
I know this feeling all too well. Unfortunately, I can't help you because I can't even help myself. I've got a lot of issues going on with me, and it's very easy to get triggered into this very thing. What kind of things do I have? Well, let's see...
1) Anxiety
2) Depression
3) Stress
4) Health problems
5) Insomnia
6) Worries
Basically, I've got more than I can handle. And, with these problems, I'm also housebound (or homebound). I don't have a life of my own. I'm still single at 41 years old and live with my dad. He and mom divorced when I was still an infant and I have no memory of when and why they separated.
With that said, there are MANY opportunities for me to give in. It's the only outlet that I keep turning to. I use it to briefly numb the pain that I've been going through.
This thing has been going on for a very long time. In fact, since 2010, I've been keeping a record of how many times I've...uhh..."released" if you will. I don't think this site will let me say the real term for it. I refer to such things as "Smudges". And, let me tell you, the number of Smudges I've accumulated just since 2010 (this began during the 1990s) is way off the charts. Let me show you each year's number of Smudges from 2010 to 2020 so far.
2010 --- 266 Smudges
2011 --- 237 Smudges
2012 --- 147 Smudges
2013 --- 224 Smudges
2014 --- 198 Smudges
2015 --- 166 Smudges
2016 --- 176 Smudges
2017 --- 198 Smudges
2018 --- 192 Smudges
2019 --- 136 Smudges
2020 (so far) --- 100 Smudges
Not once, since I've been keeping track, have I had a year with less than 100 Smudges. Not once! Initially, my goal was to keep the number of Smudges per year at 64 or less. Then, I raised it to 100 a few years later. Now, I can't even keep it that low per year. I'm considering raising the goal to 150 Smudges or less per year starting in 2021 and see how well I do with that.
The worst thing about my addiction is that it's not just porn I use to engage in this thing. Simply seeing images or videos of random people (primarily, females) in ordinary circumstances can often alter my mind and trigger me to engage. I get urges most often when I'm really exhausted, but haven't gone to sleep yet (or can't sleep due to some problem).
Now, you know why I put the "trigger warning" at the top of this post. I hope this site lets me post this.