23M highly skilled software developer facing ~$120k family debt and severe trauma. This is my last desperate attempt for mental/practical
Hi everyone. I'm a 23-year-old guy, an undergraduate student, and a professional Full-Stack Web Developer. Due to a series of family disasters, I find myself carrying the entire burden of my household. Every single night, I can't sleep. I just lie there staring at the ceiling and cry. The most soul-crushing part is that I didn't cause a single one of these problems, yet I am the only one expected to solve them all.
I feel completely lost, and I honestly can't remember the last time I was happy. I have this heavy, constant feeling that my mind and body are completely giving up from the sheer weight of this grief. I feel like there are no solutions left. I don't even know if posting here will help, but I'm doing this as a last desperate attempt.
Disclaimer: I am writing this STRICTLY to vent and ask for psychological/practical advice. I do NOT want, and will not accept, any financial help or donations. That goes against my core principles. I just need guidance.
1. My Professional Reality vs. The Crisis:
I am excellent at what I do. I specialize in custom native code (React, Next.js, TypeScript, MERN stack) and I am a Top-Rated freelancer on Upwork with a 100% Job Success Score. I've built complex apps and systems. However, freelance income fluctuates and vanishes instantly into our daily survival needs. Despite my high-level skills, I cannot find a full-time, fixed-salary job to establish a stable income, and my freelance money is a drop in the ocean compared to the massive debt I am facing.
2. My Brother's Imprisonment:
My brother has been a political prisoner for 4 years. Every time a judge acquits him, they fabricate a new case. The psychological trauma is an open wound, and the financial drain is severe. It costs about 8,000 EGP (~$160 USD) every month just for prison visits, and I am the one who has to provide this money.
3. Massive Debts (~$120,000 USD), Father's Apathy & Impending Homelessness:
My father owned a factory that stopped operating, resulting in accumulated debts exceeding 6 million EGP (~$120,000 USD). The biggest immediate threat is the bank loans (around $780 USD monthly) under my mother's name, which are 3 months behind. My father is completely detached from reality. He ignores the creditors, and to quiet one of them, he simply signed over the house we currently live in to him. Because of this, by this coming June (next month), we will be officially kicked out of our home and forced into a rented place, adding rent to an already impossible list of expenses. He left me alone on the front lines to face this nightmare.
4. The Mental Collapse & Constant Fear:
My mother's mental health is shattered; she had a severe breakdown before because of my brother's situation, and I had to physically intervene to save her. Now, with the banks threatening her and the impending loss of our home, I live in constant terror for her safety.
I am writing here to ask:
How can someone my age survive this immense psychological pressure without completely breaking down?
How do I deal with my mother's constant panic when I am internally terrified and feeling helpless myself?
Please, if anyone has gone through something similar or has any practical/mental solutions, let me know.
advice me ONLY (NO financial help).
@elsendbad
This sounds incredibly heavy. You are carrying debt pressure, fear for your mother, your brother’s situation, housing insecurity, and the feeling that everyone expects you to solve it alone. I can’t give financial help or professional legal advice, but I can listen and help you sort through what feels most urgent right now. Before anything else: are you safe tonight?