Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

how do i stay positive in a world that seems to be going to shit?

User Profile: sweetsummerday
sweetsummerday March 29th, 2025

hello!! ive been struggling with feeling anxiety and dread over the state of the world for the longest time. im not sure how to deal with it. i know that it is not in my control, but its still hard to live with the anxiety that not much good things are happening and everyday feels closer to doomsday. how do i cope?

2
User Profile: AlliopeCalliope
AlliopeCalliope March 29th, 2025

I 100% get this. It's hard to put it into a paragraph without sounding like I'm over-simplifying, and I do still have moments where I feel overwhelmed and hopeless. Over time, however, I have found that it really is a conscious decision to let go of what I can't change.


That doesn't mean to be ignorant of events, but I do limit how much information I take in daily. I listen to Up First on my way to work and it's about fifteen minutes of top stories, told without all the drama from online. I also limit my time on any social media regarding world events. Maybe ten minutes a day. There's absolutely NO point in doom scrolling. All it does is feed the anxiety circuits in your brain.


Also, try to find ways you CAN contribute to change. That can be volunteering in your community or donating to a cause you believe in.


Finally, remember we have a negativity bias. Our brains seek out the negative and they get amplified. Every day, good things do happen. Seek out these stories in the news by searching "positive news" .


And most importantly, notice the small kindnesses people around you make every day.

User Profile: akunknown
akunknown March 30th, 2025

@sweetsummerday

Actually it’s been in **** for the longest time. So long that it’s been the way it’s been since before anyone on this site along with those who created this online community along with their great great grandparents were even born. It’s just gotten worse and worse over time since and is dying a slow agonizing death. 

How to stay positive despite knowing all that? One of the most difficult and challenging things to do that is. But once you do, you’ll be the proudest one of all to have done it. 

You can do it by writing in different ways - journaling, poems, songs, stories, etc that are way more positive or that accurately reflect reality or a mix of both. You can talk to someone you trust about it and if it’s a subject they find interesting that’ll only benefit both of you to talk about it. Listening to music helps with just about anything including this. But the biggest thing is you not allowing this frail society to turn you into one of them, keep being your own authentic self and no one can ever have any power over you.