What should I do about Thanatophobia (fear of death)?
I worry about the future too much and as result, often think about the afterlife. Opinions of the afterlife vary by religion or lack thereof but nobody really knows for sure and probably never will. I'm an atheist so I don't believe in an afterlife or higher being but I can't help the way I think. What I think happens when you die is that you lose consciousness and fade into obscurity for the rest of time. That thought is enough to send me into a panic attack almost every time it comes up. While I might not have the best life, I'm grateful for being alive and getting to experience life for what it is. If I could be immortal I would in a heartbeat, yet... I can't. I'm frightened by my own mortality and I don't know how to fix this.
Can any of you please give me tips on how I can get over this burdening phobia? Please do not suggest religion but rather factual ways to help.
@ianmc570
I feel the same way sometimes but I know that if I don't think about it I don't get scared. Maybe you could try to put your mind to something else and do somethink like excersising to get your mind distracted. Singing or listening to music can also calm me down and release any thoughts or emotions that I have. You could pretend that you are living the lyrics that are sung and imagine how you would feel if you were in that postition, this helps me to get my mind off it and realise the reality that people face around me.
Hope this helps x
@greenCoconut8903
Yeah that helps, but only in the moment and usually aids in calming me down. I wish there were a permanent solution... The panic attacks feel so awful and I wish these thoughts never came up in the first place.
Thank you for your input though, it's nice to know I'm not alone in this. Hopefully we both recover from it.
You are not alone. This has consumed me for the past few years but has been the worst it ever has the past few months. I hope we can overcome this!
@greenCoconut8903
I have this same problem as well. It's on my mind quite often. I sometimes think that things would be easier if I WERE religious, because then I could at least have some comfort in an afterlife. Alas, I cannot make myself believe things that I don't. Aside from perhaps trying therapy, I'm not sure there is much of a solution for this. We know that it will happen eventually, so it makes sense that we would worry about it.
You may try to create smth permanent like art, memory box or message in abottle or carve your name in stone...
You may also try to ask yourself why am I afraid of death? The ending itself?, the things I lose, The potential I miss?
You can try bungy jumping and other assisted extreme sports if you have the money, they help in a way to not be afraid of that moment of passing...
My fear of death is losimg my loved ones and ending a tale, a saga...
Having children will help you...in the future you will have children and you shall live through them...
Ironically in my case the reverse is true also:
The reaper is as afraid of me as I am of her😂😂😂
@ianmc570 Hi, this is pretty common and apparently more so in a younger age. Im 44 and grew up with my nan and she told me when she was young, she felt the same. By her 80s she was a bit fed up and totally not bothered by it anymore. I have noticed that my children are like it too. I have got myself quite anxious thinking about actually living here and then being nothing one day, however I got myself out of it by thinking "when I am asleep do I know Im alive?" Answer is no. So I figured im not going to know any different. I hope this helps.