Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Did you overcome severe anxiety to enable you to move forward in life?

User Profile: lucy2
lucy2 May 31st, 2019

Hi all,

I rarely talk about the period in my life that I was so overcome with anxiety, I couldn't be left alone. Somehow I got through the panic attacks and agoraphobia to go on and find good employment and get a degree, but I will never forget the inner torment that anxiety brings and the fear it may return at any time. I feel heart for everyone who suffers anxiety.

Did you get through it?

Lucy2

9
User Profile: fearlessPeach7685
fearlessPeach7685 June 3rd, 2019

Hi,

I'm happy for everyone who went through anxiety and overcame it. If you are still strugling, things will get better, just keep going.

My anxiety started about a year ago. I'm a uni student, learning to become an English and History teacher (in my country, teacher-training starts right after high school and we have to choose two subject areas). Here, exam periods last about a month, so we can retake exams in the same semester. It started after I failed an exam because I was too tired from the all-nighter I pulled on the previous night. When I prepared for my next exam, I started to think back of the feeling of failing. My anxiety got so bad that I called my mother at work, crying, telling her that I can't do it anymore. When she came home from work, she had the number of a therapist who I had to call right away. Thankfully, the therapist helped me in some ways. I still failed 4 out of my 5 exams that semester, but at least I was no longer a nervous, crying mess.

Next semester was a bit better, though I was anxious whenever I had to enter the History building. This January was terrible again. After Christmas, I was in a terrible place because I failed one of my exams by 1 point. I panicked when I was left alone at home, I couldn't stay in my room, I always was by my parents' side. Things started to get better when I passed 3 out of the 4 classes I still had left (we cannot choose our courses, we only have mandatory classes), but I couldn't bring myself to start to prepare for the last. When I started, I again felt that panic I felt previously.

This semester, I finally passed ALL of my classes. I still have one final-final exam where we have to cover topics from all previous courses, but I'm finally positive that I can do it and finally start my last year: student-teaching in a primary school.

While I'm still not 100% anxiety free (and I came to accept that I'll probably never be), things are starting to get better. Now I only get anxious before exams, and even that is managable. I was supposed to graduate this semester, but I'll only do so next year, but I think I've learnt so much during that one extra year, mostly about myself.

3 replies
User Profile: lucy2
lucy2 OP June 3rd, 2019

Hi @fearlessPeach7685 <3

Thank you for your post and many congratulations to you!

It means so much when we've struggled to achieve something and you've been through so much, you deserve to have a very positive future.

I wish you every success in your future training and do stay in touch <3

Lucy2

3 replies
User Profile: fearlessPeach7685
fearlessPeach7685 June 13th, 2019

@lucy2

Hi, just wanted to let you know that I passed that final exam too, though it did not go as well as I expected, I even had to leave the room to get myself together. It kinda feels like a step back, but at the same time I know I did the best I could under the circumstances.

We got two topics and after a little prep time where we write down everything we know about that topic, we had to talk about them to a professor (who was specialised in that topic) and my first topic went terribly. I had difficulty learning it in the first place and while I wrote down everything I remembered, when I sat down and the professor started to ask questions, I started to feel stupid. It wasn't even the professor's fault, he did the best he could to help me. After I was done with that topic, I was supposed to start making a draft for the second one, but had to leave the room because I was starting to feel panicky. Thankfully, after that short break and talking to one of my friends who was also having an exam, I got myself together and the topic went better, it almost felt like a normal conversation with the other professor (and I realised I'm not as stupid as I felt during the first part of the exam).

Anyway, I passed, so I'M FINALLY FREE and will only have to go back to the university for consultations about my thesis and I also have courses that are supposed to help through student-teaching, but I have NO MORE EXAMS. It's still hard to comprehend that I am almost finished with the whole thing, and that I'll finally be a student-teacher in September!

It's just so good when your life is kind of sorting itself out after you work so hard laugh.

Hopefully this time next year I'll have my diploma as well.

2 replies
User Profile: lucy2
lucy2 OP June 13th, 2019

Huge congratulations @fearlessPeach7685 yesyes

I'm thrilled that you managed to get through the exam and pass, magnificent YAY!

I really hope that you continue to make such great progress throughout you life, I'm so very proud of you! <3

Lucy2

1 reply
User Profile: fearlessPeach7685
fearlessPeach7685 June 13th, 2019

@lucy2 Thank you so much! Your words made me feel so happy! heart

load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: TheHammaOnU
TheHammaOnU June 15th, 2019

Hey @lucy2! This may seem like a really vague question, but how did you do it?

My anxiety is through the roof and I'm really only stable when I'm at home practicing mindfulness or isolated in my room. I'm 27 and thinking about going back to college for science (Geophysics or Biology, not really sure) and I'm terrified. I can't make a decision and stick to it. Currently, I'm debt free and the thought of accumulating any is sickening.

But I also know that if I don't do it, I may never get better. I may never get healthy, or meet a SO, or do anything with my limited life. I just love reading stories about people who fought anxiety and won. Gives me hope that I can do it myself. But I'd really like to know how anyone does it.

User Profile: GhostlyLilian
GhostlyLilian June 15th, 2019

No, I definitely didn't overcome anxiety yet, I'm still stuck, not independent, not able to work or study, do things I like, sometimes even eat and care for myself. But I'm working hard on it, I'll get somewhere, sooner or later

User Profile: Ragnarokk
Ragnarokk June 15th, 2019

@lucy2 i still go throigh it and no end in sight but i guess i will live and die with my anxieties till the end...life is just a bad joke...paradoxically, when i had the cancers news, i was free from anxiety for the first time because I thought the end was near and i didn't care anymore...now it hits me nit only daily but multiple times a day @lucy2. I am happy for you that you found a way to liberate ypurself from the torment and pain...hope others can follow ypur path too...to healing...it seems i cannot do it...

1 reply
User Profile: lucy2
lucy2 OP June 16th, 2019

Hello @Ragnarokk <3

I'm really am so very sorry to read this but please don't give up hope. Your anxiety should be able to be managed better and personally, I'd visit a doctor to discuss how they can help you, you deserve it and need it, please ask<3 I too have had and recovered from cancer, it does happen, so never give up hope! <3

Lucy2

load more