I can't overcome my perfectionism, so i can't start an urgent work
I've been doing a planning for a certain project at work, and it's due date is tomorrow. I've been working on the plan for 3 weeks now. My resolve to do my work is truly genuine--I really wanted to complete this, but my perfectionism is something that I can't overcome easily.
Most of the days in those 3 weeks were honestly not productive because I always felt I am incapable of doing or starting something that I have very little experience on. It's a new task for me, I know, but it's something I studied for in college and I know that I have more than enough capability of creating a plan for this great project. I have lead some committees before, I've planned and organized events before, so this isn't really a difficult stretch for me, but I think those experiences made my perfectionism stronger.
I can finish this work for a night or two of serious dedication, like what I thought yesterday, the day before it or the week before it, but I fear that I will just create crap that will take time to edit or modify later, or all of these things may be needed to be scrapped altogether. Because of this, I can't start my work I'm supposed to be doing earlier today. Please help me sort my feelings out.
@carefulLunch4938 I can probably understand what you're feeling right now. I know putting things off is so easy, and you keep on wasting your time until the deadline is very close. One of the reasons for this is because you already know how to do that thing, at least partially, and are assured that you can do it better.
What I think is this, you feel that you have to do things absolutely perfect, you think to do things the right way. And there's nothing wrong about this, you're absolutely on the right track, but you're only focusing on the goal. Meaning when you see something that's perfect and awesome, and compare that to your actual efforts and performance you'll feel discouraged at first to see that you're nowhere near the goal. That is perfectly normal.
What I can suggest you is this, everything good needs time and efforts. So, you just have to keep your end goal in mind, think about what would you gain when you accomplish your goal, and think about what is at stake. Also, it may seem overwhelming at first so look only at small pieces of the task, don't try to take everything at once. Relax, take breaks, and focus on that small piece like you've never before, like you've nothing else to do except this small piece. Also, put yourself into right mindset that I am already capable of doing this, so it's just a piece of cake for me.
Hope this helps...