Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I wish that my anxiety fit in a nice little box

User Profile: CoffeeArtNSoul
CoffeeArtNSoul July 7th, 2019

My life is beautiful, and overwhelming. I am 33 years old and have 3 amazing kids, they are fun, creative, amazing, crazy little people. My whole world is better because of them. I am also coming up on almost 10 years married to a man that showed me there were indeed gentlemen still in existence. We are currently living in Germany, thousands of miles from my best friend, my sister. But as a fundamentalist Christian there are somethings I can't share with her. I am also a Christian, in the middle of a crazy life. My husband has recently come out to me as a pansexual, atheist, vegan, with alternative political ideologies. For over a decade we had been on nearly the same page with a lot of our beliefs, our plans and goals for life, and we supported each other fiercely, but now it seems as if it is mostly one sided. I support him, but I can not talk to him about my faith, my struggles with parenting and homeschooling, my mental health (I have generalized anxiety disorder). I often feel like I am living with a roommate who wants to be friends with the kids then living with the man that chose to have children with me that we parent together. I am struggling to hold myself together.

1
User Profile: SecretlyMe
SecretlyMe March 7th, 2020

@CoffeeArtNSoul I'm sorry that you are going through this. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to suddenly feel so distant from someone you once was so close too. I know there has to be an adjustment period but is this possibly something that can be worked on together. It might be more difficult than it was before but I think as long as both partners respect the other person's beliefs (don't have to believe those beliefs themselves) this could still work.

I think couples counseling would be a great route to take as you go through this adjustment. These can be sensitive topics for some people and as such it can be difficult to express ourselves wholeheartedly and not get defensive in return. Having someone there can help moderate the conversation to allow that both sides are being heard and understand fairly.

It's been a long time since you've posted this. How have you been since? Is the relationship still as difficult as before or have you made it passed the adjustment period? Or were the problems even bigger than this post implied? Let us know so we can be here for you and support you in the way that you need us to.